• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
McClenghan's older than I thought, actually. Allott mentioned he's 26.

He suddenly gained a yard or something? Late bloomer?
If anything he lost a yard and started bowling properly.

Wasn't that long ago he joined the forum to rip into Flem274* for daring to suggest his First Class bowling average of 45 or whatever it was at the time wasn't quite good enough to justify a place in the Central Districts lineup.

thierry henry

International Coach
McClenghan's older than I thought, actually. Allott mentioned he's 26.

He suddenly gained a yard or something? Late bloomer?
Suddenly lost a yard if anything? Started off as supposedly quick but raw and pretty crap. Had some injuries, came back a much more effective bowler. Rumours of him being quick remained but the international radars suggest otherwise.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I really like a languid style in limited overs personally, Jayawardene's 100 in the world cup final was just superb to watch.

Agree Bell is frustrating although far less so when he opens but actually think it looks like he is trying too hard sometimes, always does that intense grimace thing in ODIs.

Well that's it, it ruins the fluidity, makes it looked forced, he's better as opener though, I'll admit.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Plz explain what there is to speed other than speed
I've read they did a thing on Sky UK where a **** like Bresnan was registering a quicker speed past the bat than Anderson, despite leaving the hand slower. As if someone being hit by a bus at 140kph is likely to be going faster 20 yards into their flight than someone hit by a car, or some other flawed analogy for people like Kippax who don't understand the physics.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
If the ball leaves the hand at a certain speed, wouldn't any variation between bowlers in "maintaining speed" be down to trajectory? I don't see anything about McClenaghan's trajectory that would make him faster than the radar suggests....he is only of middling height for a seamer, neither really bouncy nor really flat and direct like, say, Malinga.
I think somebody's weight and their ability to get the wrist solidly behind the ball plays apart too. I've been in plenty of net sessions where I've seen people bowl what looks like medium pace, only to get down the other end and face it zipping off the pitch and flying past my outside edge. And it's always the people who are quite large, weigh a reasonable amount, run in slowly and get their wrist in behind the ball.

thierry henry

International Coach
"Mills has given them nothing, Mills has been pretty good"

Kinda like every new ball spell he has ever bowled in ODIs

Last edited:

thierry henry

International Coach
I've read they did a thing on Sky UK where a **** like Bresnan was registering a quicker speed past the bat than Anderson, despite leaving the hand slower. As if someone being hit by a bus at 140kph is likely to be going faster 20 yards into their flight than someone hit by a car, or some other flawed analogy for people like Kippax who don't understand the physics.
Also re: Cabinet's post below: interesting.

Same logic I'm guessing, Bresnan is a bit hefty and therefore his balls maintain their pace better? :naughty:

tbh I'm a fat lad who tries to bowl sharp mediums and apparently I sting the gloves too :p

BoyBrumby

Englishman
If anything he lost a yard and started bowling properly.

Wasn't that long ago he joined the forum to rip into Flem274* for daring to suggest his First Class bowling average of 45 or whatever it was at the time wasn't quite good enough to justify a place in the Central Districts lineup.
Oh, you have to link us up there.

Eeuuw. Ellis. That action for the quicker one. :sick:

thierry henry

International Coach
Brumby, ever had an issue with Mills's action?

From time to time people raise an issue with it but I just don't see it. It's a strange looking action but I don't really see any straightening, he just seems to have a very "stiff" looking arm for want of a better description.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Brumby, ever had an issue with Mills's action?

From time to time people raise an issue with it but I just don't see it. It's a strange looking action but I don't really see any straightening, he just seems to have a very "stiff" looking arm for want of a better description.
Nah, never had even a slight twitch about Mills.

As you say, not a classic, fluid action, but no doubt about its probity from me.