• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
it doesn't matter if he ends up with a solid 40 (30), those balls are better used up getting Taylor or McCullum in and set.
Nah 40(30) is fine, more than fine in fact. McCullum/Taylor is not going to come off every match. Guptill's current 13(20) is not fine though - really needs to pick it up - need someone to bowl some gentle 120km/h half volleys that he lift over the top for six.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Just seen Joe Root's come in for Samit Patel. Strange move but I quite like it, Samit has only managed one or two expensive overs a game lately, so Root can probably cover that.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Nah 40(30) is fine, more than fine in fact. McCullum/Taylor is not going to come off every match. Guptill's current 13(20) is not fine though - really needs to pick it up - need someone to bowl some gentle 120km/h half volleys that he lift over the top for six.
I don't see why we never take to wright. He doesn't even bowl regularly in domestics ffs.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Good over from Tredders. Looks like he may bowl 4 overs for a change.

Two offies on now. Would consider a 9-0 leg side field for Taylor.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Guptill puts pressure on every other batsmen in the team by wasting all those deliverers at the start.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
OK, but then why give Guptill the opportunity to build an innings rather than Taylor and McCullum?

For example, Taylor wouldn't have had to play that shot (stupid shot anyway, I know, but with Guptill at the end something had to be done).

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Guptill and Elliott. Feel the heat of that firepower, gonna nudge and nurdle england to death.

tastes gooood, that.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
OK, but then why give Guptill the opportunity to build an innings rather than Taylor and McCullum?

For example, Taylor wouldn't have had to play that shot (stupid shot anyway, I know, but with Guptill at the end something had to be done).
I wouldn't complain if we wanted to open with McCullum and Guptill. Guptill is legitimately one of our top T20 batsmen though - last five innings of 21(27), 101*(69), 24(20), 44(32), 47(31). He can score quickly later in his innings.

I would draw a distinction between his usual slow start and today's which has just been toooo slow. Though perhaps it's a more difficult pitch?

Shot Elliott.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pathetic from Taylor.
Disagree. It was a poorly executed shot, but at least Taylor was trying to take them on. I'd much rather 6 off 4 and out, than someone pissing around for 8 off 15 like Guptill was. You only have 120 deliveries.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I wouldn't complain if we wanted to open with McCullum and Guptill. Guptill is legitimately one of our top T20 batsmen though - last five innings of 21(27), 101*(69), 24(20), 44(32), 47(31). He can score quickly later in his innings.

I would draw a distinction between his usual slow start and today's which has just been toooo slow.
Probably fair enough.

I just think that there are batsmen in the team capable of 50 (19), and we're sacrificing those really destructive t20 innings for his consistency that's never really match winning.

Even his 100 against SA had to be one of the slowest t20 hundreds, and if you're scoring a hundred chasing 180 odd most teams would get there easily, but we only just made it.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Probably fair enough.
Well I am slightly more confident in our T20 batting with Munro and Elliott rounding out the top-6 as opposed to the T20 World Cup where it felt like our batting was McCullum, Taylor, Guptill and not much else. So now perhaps Guptill could afford to attack a little more at the start.

As I write that, Elliott goes. We need another 60 from here which is tough.