• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Pleased with that win - it's nice to win but I could also see the whole tour going downhill fast if England had gone two up so quickly.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Really pleased for Ian Butler. Both the Herald & DomPost had nice stories on his comeback (I didn't realise he'd been clocked at 150kph before his major back injury in 2004), but I wasn't expecting him to make such a triumphant return.

Also, good to see McCullum deliver a match winning innings as captain. I was starting to wonder whether he could still do it.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Have to be impressed by the way Mitch is bowling atm, but....is he actually that good? Reason I ask is, people keep on saying his attributes are "he's aggressive and hits the pitch hard", yet every time I watch him bowl he's hitting the same sort of speeds that Kyle Mills does on a good day. Is he secretly a nagging, accurate swing bowler pretending to be a tearaway? I'm not watching atm, is he hitting good speeds? Weird thing is, the speedo will say 135kph but batsman play him as if he's quick.
yeah it's a fair question.

In SA he did genuinely get some swing. Not as much as a proper swing bowler like Boult and Southee do, but enough to make him dangerous.

Didn't see any swing from him here tonight even though Boult was swinging it beautifully.

At worst he's still a better option than Wagner, IMO.

Some of Boult's deliveries were so ***y in that first over.

ch00baka

School Boy/Girl Captain
How quickly is Butler getting it through these days? Surprised to see him do well in this format as his ODI and list A records are abysmal.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
How quickly is Butler getting it through these days? Surprised to see him do well in this format as his ODI and list A records are abysmal.
About 140 clicks, surprisingly enough. Given his terrible injury I'd be somewhat surprised if he was managing to get it through at that sort of heat consistently in FC matches - it's different when he's only got to bowl the four - but he's been having a really good PS season so he just might be.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Heh, just realised something - remember when Ian Butler was described as 'pea-hearted' with a tendency to 'infect the whole team with his misery'

That was Dougeh's dad :laugh:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
No, email was to Rutherford, from Dougeh's dad.

"Butler is a pea-hearted, selfish bloke who offers the team only the ability to bowl a ball every now and then over 140kmh.

"This is the sort of character Johnny doesn't want in the team. He is one of those blokes who gets a dose of the sniffles and infects the whole team with his misery."

Brendon Bracewell, 45, was a fast bowler who played six tests for New Zealand between 1978 and 1984-85 but was plagued by back injuries.

Howsie

International Captain
lol, how did Boult go for 40? Serious question. They couldn't even lay bat on him in his first few overs, one of the bowlers take him for 20 in that last over or something.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Off the top of my head, it strikes me that our record must be pretty good in Hamilton limited-overs matches that don't involve Richard Levi?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
lol, how did Boult go for 40? Serious question. They couldn't even lay bat on him in his first few overs, one of the bowlers take him for 20 in that last over or something.
Boult is like Bracewell or Mills. Can be dangerous up front with the swing he generates, but becomes cannon-fodder in the closing stages as he has few variations to fall back on.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
^Yeah. Boult/Dougeh shouldn't be in the T20 team anyway IMO.

Good win, nevertheless. I hope Ross's not in a form slump now.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
I know I'm the guy that hates everything but....every single one of our commentators is just awful. Just fundamentally moronic in their analysis of the game (and these dozy ***** used to play for us!). I even like some of the Aussie and English comms, but absolutely none of ours.
Got to agree. No redeeming features in the NZ comms box. Few in the Aussie one. Many in the English one.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ian Smith is an utter tool but I don't find him to be a completely worthless commentator tbf. He's like a poor man's Ian Chappell.