• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
BTW this pitch under lights appears to have a bit of juice in it. I didn't see the NZ inning but I assume it was flat then.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Yep I'm not hating...just, in terms of his future prospects, I don't really see what compelling attributes he has. He's neither very fast nor very tall and as far as I'm aware he's not known as a canny swing bowler or for being super accurate.
I don't disagree at all - it's an open question whether McClenaghan would be a good test bowler or not and we won't get a good idea until he's picked. 135km/h with a bit of swing and seam could mean good test bowler or terrible depending on other qualities. 'Bowls a heavy ball', whatever that means.

Would like to see him play more FC matches this season before picking for tests, though I don't know if that's possible. Also get the feeling he may think of himself as a limited overs bowler first and foremost.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I know I'm the guy that hates everything but....every single one of our commentators is just awful. Just fundamentally moronic in their analysis of the game (and these dozy ***** used to play for us!). I even like some of the Aussie and English comms, but absolutely none of ours.
Yeah, it's mental how far off the pace our lot are when it comes to fundamentals. Styris is the only one I've heard recently who seems to have a clue.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Just had a daydream imagining the colossal innings needed for Buttler to win this. It was great.

Broad really can't bat in the short forms can he? I know this is hardly the time or place to judge but it keeps surprising me just how lousy his record is.

thierry henry

International Coach
I don't disagree at all - it's an open question whether McClenaghan would be a good test bowler or not and we won't get a good idea until he's picked. 135km/h with a bit of swing and seam could mean good test bowler or terrible depending on other qualities. 'Bowls a heavy ball', whatever that means.

Would like to see him play more FC matches this season before picking for tests, though I don't know if that's possible. Also get the feeling he may think of himself as a limited overs bowler first and foremost.
Yeah...I wonder where all the "talk around the traps" about him being quick came from though. Not even as quick as Butler is he?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yep I'm not hating...just, in terms of his future prospects, I don't really see what compelling attributes he has. He's neither very fast nor very tall and as far as I'm aware he's not known as a canny swing bowler or for being super accurate.
I think he's pretty much just taken the perfect path to being recognised as a good bowler by the general public in NZ. When he was younger he focused on bowling absolutely flat out regardless of the results he got in order to be recognised as a bowler "with potential", "worth keeping an eye on" etc because he could occasionally hit really high speeds. When enough people had said that about him he started bowling in the manner most effective for his talents - which is seemingly around the fast-medium range with far greater control, good bounce and occasional movement - so when he had any success doing that he'd get rushed straight into the side amidst excitement about his (former) pace. He's still being completely outperformed by the likes of Arnel domestically but because he was quite fast when he was younger (even if completely unsuccessful at the time, mind) he's getting some opportunities.

See also: Milne, Butler, even Bond to an extent.

(Okay I don't really think he did that on purpose, but it's exactly what I'd do if I was a young bowler with tunnel vision on NZ selection.)

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I know I'm the guy that hates everything but....every single one of our commentators is just awful. Just fundamentally moronic in their analysis of the game (and these dozy ***** used to play for us!). I even like some of the Aussie and English comms, but absolutely none of ours.
Yeah, it's mental how far off the pace our lot are when it comes to fundamentals. Styris is the only one I've heard recently who seems to have a clue.
Jeremy Coney is 24 karat, tbf. Doubt you chaps hear him too often tho as he seems to be in our Sky's studio as often as not.

thierry henry

International Coach
I think he's pretty much just taken the perfect path to being recognised as a good bowler by the general public in NZ. When he was younger he focused on bowling absolutely flat out regardless of the results he got in order to be recognised as a bowler "with potential", "worth keeping an eye on" etc because he could occasionally hit really high speeds. When enough people had said that about him he started bowling in the manner most effective for talents - which is seemingly around the fast-medium range with far greater control, good bounce and occasional movement - so when he had any success doing that he'd get rushed straight into the side amidst excitement about his (former) pace. He's still being completely outperformed by the likes of Arnel domestically but because he was quite fast when he was younger (even if completely unsuccessful at the time, mind) he 's getting some opportunities.

See also: Milne, Butler, even Bond to an extent.

(Okay I don't really think he did that on purpose, but it's exactly what I'd do if I was a young bowler with tunnel vision on NZ selection.)
haha this is so true

He's our new speed sensation because he used to be fast and is now not fast but quite good

stumpski

International Captain
Ian O'Brien on 5LSX seems quite sensible. Buttler enjoying Elliott's bowling - at least there's time for him to get a first 50 for England.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Jeremy Coney is 24 karat, tbf. Doubt you chaps hear him too often tho as he seems to be in our Sky's studio as often as not.
He was a big loss from the commentary team here. I used to like Glenn Turner too, quite dry but offered deeper analysis than most of the current bunch.