• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
The whole chat about variations from the commentators every time he bowls is the thing that really annoys me, and is really the only gripe I have with Knick Knight. The only "variation" I see is his back of a hand slower ball, and every decent bowler has a slower ball. The way the commentators talk, you'd think it was him trying to bowl a googly that was the reason he just bowled down the leg side, or that he tried to bowl a flipper that came out as a short wide long hop. They say he's trying to bowl too many variations at the start, when it's all just wayward seam up stuff, and at the end it's just back of the hand slower balls. The biggest variations we see from him come at the start when he finds it nigh on impossible to maintain a decent line.

Blain

U19 Captain
Yeah I read an article with Hess saying it's good to have Ellis back, and he's "proven himself" at international level. I seriously dont understand where he got that from. Ellis is a poor mans Darren Sammy, and I dont even rate Sammy that highly. Domestic plodder and thats about it.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
And if you need to play an all-rounder, there are a million other better, younger, and more promising options in the country.

Jimmeh!

Howe_zat

Audio File
I didn't rate Ellis much before but since reading that he's comparable to Darren Sammy I'll back him to the hilt.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Yeah I'm agreeing that the exchanges led to the beamer, but at the same time that doesn't mean it was intentional. Just an angry effort ball gone wrong.
How far has he missed his length by, though?

I know he misses his length all the time, but not by that much. Even for him.

Blain

U19 Captain
Similar player to Sammy in terms of playing role, right arm medium and middle/lower order batsman, that is.

He's not good enough to make the team in either tbh.

I think we will pull off some tinny wins. This McCullum lead side just doesn't float my boat.. Especially with the little gremlin lurking in the changing sheds.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Anyone else thinking that New Zealand won't win a game during this England tour?
Considering we snared 2 ODIs in SA, preeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetty sure we'll grab at least one L/O match. Okay, so it wasn't the greatest SA ODI side ever but I still think we'll be competetive in the ODIs.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I know we beat South Africa, but it just seems like our batsmen have completely forgotten how to play limited overs innings. Watling and Williamson maybe the exception, but everyone else looks ****.

Guptill doesn't even try to dominate the bowlers anymore. Everything he plays looks pre-meditated:
1. Sees that his strike rate is not good after completely going into his shell and putting all the pressure on the batsman at the other end. Goes for trademark straight 6, (maybe) gets away with it.
2. Looks for single, even if the next ball is short wide filth.

I can't even remember the last time McCullum did anything.

Basically, the opposition bowlers know exactly what to expect. Even when they get hit for a four or six, there is no pressure put on them because they know if McCullum is batting he'll just get himself out next ball, and if Guptill is batting he'll just go back into his shell while the RRR climbs.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Not to mention the fact that I have zero confidence in Hesson coming up with decent tactics against England.

Despite the ridiculously short straight boundaries, the bowlers continued to try to bowl full and flat.

Noone noticed that the good length balls were the ones getting wickets.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Not to mention the fact that I have zero confidence in Hesson coming up with decent tactics against England.

Despite the ridiculously short straight boundaries, the bowlers continued to try to bowl full and flat.

Noone noticed that the good length balls were the ones getting wickets.
I guess the pitch was quicker than NZ expected - made our decision to play Hira, as much as I like watching him bat, over a seamer (probably Mills) a bad one, while England's 140km/h bowlers benefited from accurately hitting just short of a length.

It's a little hard to criticise our batting when facing such an enormous target. And as much as Guptill's approach was a little odd he still scored 44(32).

Hold catches in the next match and see how we go.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I guess the pitch was quicker than NZ expected - made our decision to play Hira, as much as I like watching him bat, over a seamer (probably Mills) a bad one, while England's 140km/h bowlers benefited from accurately hitting just short of a length.
Well, 2 days before the match I remember reading that the drop in pitch was expected to be fast.

It's a little hard to criticise our batting when facing such an enormous target. And as much as Guptill's approach was a little odd he still scored 44(32).

Hold catches in the next match and see how we go.
Both true, but it was the way in which we went about the chase that really annoyed me.

I like batsmen constructing innings in ODIs, but in t20s your strike rate at any given point in the innings is important. You can't afford to "catch up" at the end. we don't have the firepower coming in to be able to do that.

Last edited: