• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
No, before each match Hesson gets out a blank piece of paper with numbers one to eleven and asks McCullum what he'd like to do this week. And if McCullum says "oh this week I think I'll field right next to the umpire, bowl first change and bat left-handed at 8" then Hesson says "good idea Brendon".
Be funny if it wasn't probably true.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
he swept alot. Looks like he can play.

OTOH I didn't think Devcich was that bad, and Dernbach looks a good bowler to me so...

BeeGee

International Captain
Elliott and Butler out of the first T20 with minor injuries. Neesham into the squad.
So...

Hamish Rutherford
Martin Guptill
Brendon McCullum
Ross Taylor
Colin Munro
James Franklin
Andrew Ellis
JimmyGS
Nathan McCullum
Ronnie Hira\Trent Boult
Mitchell McClenaghan

jcas0167

International Debutant
Yeah and I don't see why anyone would be looking to a 2020 for test opening potential. They're pretty incompatible.
I think there are signs that he could handle the role. I was quite impressed when he came out in the washed out game on Monday and looked very composed against Finn & Broad. I thought he looked more organised that Rutherford. Also, it is a position the selectors obviously see him having potential in - he scored a century opening against India A for NZ A in their 'test'.

Obviously, it would help if he was opening for Canterbury rather than keeping & batting in the middle order. :)

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I think there are signs that he could handle the role. I was quite impressed when he came out in the washed out game on Monday and looked very composed against Finn & Broad. I thought he looked more organised that Rutherford.
Obviously, it would help if he was opening for Canterbury rather than keeping & batting in the middle order. :)[/QUOTE]

thought you were on about anton for a moment until that sentence.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
The two most important qualities in a test opener are judgement outside off and being able to defend under the eyes to the moving ball, both of which aren't really seen in t20.

jcas0167

International Debutant
I think there are signs that he could handle the role. I was quite impressed when he came out in the washed out game on Monday and looked very composed against Finn & Broad. I thought he looked more organised that Rutherford.
Obviously, it would help if he was opening for Canterbury rather than keeping & batting in the middle order. :)[/QUOTE]

thought you were on about anton for a moment until that sentence.
:laugh:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
We shouldn't be picking a spinner in the test team for this tour anyway. We're playing in Eden Park, Wellington and Dunedin. Picking an average spinner would be such a defensive option.

Our best bet is to go with Southee, Boult, Bracewell and one of McCleneghan, Milne or Gillespie. 4 seamers would also allow us to finally drop Franklin.

If needed, Williamson can bowl a few overs.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
If Graeme Swann has shown us anything it's that you don't need a raging turner to be effective. Mind you, we haven't got a spinner of his quality.