Cricket Player Manager
Page 369 of 508 FirstFirst ... 269319359367368369370371379419469 ... LastLast
Results 5,521 to 5,535 of 7611
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: ***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Well at least he is having it sorted now and not after IPL.

International Debutant theegyptian's Avatar
    This Pietersen knee thing always looked likely to be a problem. I was just preying that each side were going to take the diplomatic approach and thankfully at the moment it seems to have gone off without a hitch. KP knows that the ashes is the big thing and there is plenty of attention on it. He won't be happy to miss out on the IPL but this is the one year where he knows he couldn't/ or shouldn't kick up a fuss.

Chances are after this year(ashesx2) or the next( World Cup) he quits all or some international cricket and the ECB probably knows that. He can play all the IPL he likes at that point but in the mean time he realises the importance of the coming year.

Quote Originally Posted by theegyptian View Post
    This Pietersen knee thing always looked likely to be a problem. I was just preying that each side were going to take the diplomatic approach and thankfully at the moment it seems to have gone off without a hitch. KP knows that the ashes is the big thing and there is plenty of attention on it. He won't be happy to miss out on the IPL but this is the one year where he knows he couldn't/ or shouldn't kick up a fuss.

Chances are after this year(ashesx2) or the next( World Cup) he quits all or some international cricket and the ECB probably knows that. He can play all the IPL he likes at that point but in the mean time he realises the importance of the coming year.
    Yeah, I think it is the main reason why he knuckled down last time around. I think after WC he will definitely quit limited overs.

The middle order with root, bell, and bairstow doesn't really feel strong to me. Hopefully one of those will make a big score (not confident though). I think NZ might have better middle order with Taylor, Brownlie & McCullum.

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    Put Bairstow and Woakes in for KP and Monty?

Bairstow's a shoe-in for KP. And I really hope he makes runs cos I think he's been unlucky not to be picked in the first place.

Woakes for Monty is trickier. No question that the latter has been disappointing in the extreme, but I'd still err on the side of having some significant variety in the attack. Others will disagree though.

Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    Bairstow's a shoe-in for KP. And I really hope he makes runs cos I think he's been unlucky not to be picked in the first place.

Woakes for Monty is trickier. No question that the latter has been disappointing in the extreme, but I'd still err on the side of having some significant variety in the attack. Others will disagree though.

I have no wish for just four seamers, with little back-up amongst the others. The only way I'd play Woakes, is if root or bairstow didn't play, and put Woakes and Tredwell for KP and Monty.

Yet it's all a bit convoluted, and JB for KP will be the call.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Yeah I know they surprised us a bit in India with Root coming in for the last test but can't see anything else but Bairstow in for KP.

Any chance of a proper length game this time around?

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Weather forecast looks promising so far. Another flat pitch expected though, so it could be hard work trying to fore a result.

Quote Originally Posted by Days of Grace View Post
    Pfft. Score a test ton (don't care about the strike-rate) and we'll talk.
    Mind you, Hesson is happy to get a 69 from McCullum like he did in Wellington.

Yeah no doubt given evidence of first two tests although would back them to do it I'd we get 5 full days.

Do England bowl first if they win the toss regardless of the pitch and conditions? Might seem foolish but New Zealand have made it so obviously apparent they want to avoid batting first.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    Weather forecast looks promising so far. Another flat pitch expected though, so it could be hard work trying to fore a result.
    The pitch looked plenty green on the news last night. Plenty.

As long as there are 5 fine days, I think there will be a result. I doubt it's gonna be a case of 600/3 dec, plays 550 etc etc.

Sure the first two pitches haven't been perfect, but if there had been 5 fine days in Wgtn and Dunedin, I'm pretty certain there would have been two results.

I would rather those two pitches (Boycott was a moron for saying you could have had a 10 day test in Dunedin - you couldn't), than a green seamer where tests last 2 and a 1/2 days.

Unless NZ win. Then it's okay.
    Last edited by Jezroy; 20-03-2013 at 01:06 PM.

Dunedin was really terrible though, could have easily lasted 6 or 7 days. England just performed a most outstanding feat of ineptness on day 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    Dunedin was really terrible though, could have easily lasted 6 or 7 days. England just performed a most outstanding feat of ineptness on day 1.
    NZ could have had a very nice collapse on the last if Eng got 200 ahead.

We're good at those.

And no one knows how that test would have gone had the first day not been rained out - I doubt Eng would have been bowled out for 167 like that. I know Dunedin wasn't great, but I can see why there may be a directive from NZ Cricket for these tests to go five days.
    Last edited by Jezroy; 20-03-2013 at 01:20 PM.

U19 12th Man
    tredders for monty ? close call i think.

International Captain straw man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jezroy View Post
    NZ could have had a very nice collapse on the last if Eng got 200 ahead.

We're good at those.
    Nah in Dunedin NZ were on track to complete that 350 chase for the win shortly before tea on day 7. Easy.

In Auckland I hope England bowl first and Taylor scores 150 - he's due imo.

Quote Originally Posted by lockton2skipper View Post
    tredders for monty ? close call i think.
    Fair point actually. Can't see Panesar doing anything unless NZ prepare a bunsen or bat like headless chickens. Tredwell is wily enough to nick the odd wicket and is obviously far less of a passenger otherwise.

Wow just looked at the squad. How much older do people think Tredwell is when compared to Panesar? Now have a look at the answer:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/new-zeal...ad/601973.html
    Last edited by Scaly piscine; 20-03-2013 at 07:26 PM.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Thread Information