• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Dont really understand why NZ didnt enforce the follow on

By not doing so, they have let Eng into the match whereas they would be absolutely ****ed if they had lost a few wickets tonight
Southee and Boult had previously bowled five overs each, meaning Wagner and Bartin would be coming in around the 10th over, which would **** any chance of causing Englands top order to collapse again
If Wagner was bowling well and we had a decent part time seamer, then yes it would have been a good idea to enforce the follow on.

Flametree

International 12th Man
My "favourite" half-dozen NZ 3rd innings collapses out of a choice of many....
Fingers crossed tomorrow doesn't join them.

Edgbaston : July 1999
New Zealand 226 Parore 73
England 126 Caddick 33, Tudor 32 (45-7)
New Zealand 107 Doull 46, Fleming 25 (52-8) Caddick 5-32
England 211-3 Tudor 99*

Wellington : December 2003
New Zealand 366 Oram 97, Richardson 82 Shoaib 5-48, Shabbir 3-87
Pakistan 196 Yousuf Y 60 Butler 6-46
New Zealand 103 Richardson 41 (were 95-3) Shoaib 6-30, Shabbir 2-20
Pakistan 277-3 Yousuf Y 88*, Inzamam 72* Butler 1-100

Nottingham : June 2004
New Zealand 384 Fleming 117, Styris 108 Harmison 3-80
England 319 Trescothick 63, Vaughan 61 Cairns 5-79, Franklin 4-104
New Zealand 214 Richardson 49, Fleming 45 Giles 4-46
England 284-6 Thorpe 104*, Butcher 59 Cairns 4-108

Christchurch : March 2005
New Zealand 433 Marshall 146, Cumming 74, Astle 74 McGrath 6-115
Australia 432 Gilchrist 121, Katich 118 Vettori 5-106
New Zealand 131 McCullum 24, Vettori 23 Warne 5-39, Gillespie 3-38
Australia 135-1 Langer 72*, Ponting 47* -

Manchester : May 2008
New Zealand 381 Taylor 154*, How 64, Mills 57 Anderson 20.3-0-118-4
England 202 Strauss 60 Vettori 5-69, O'Brien 3-49
New Zealand 114 How 29, Marshall 28 Panesar 6-37
England 297-4 Strauss 106 Vettori 1-111

Galle: November 2012
New Zealand 221 McCullum 68, Flynn 53 Herath 5-60, Eranga 3-51
Sri Lanka 247 Jayawardene 91, Mathews 79 Southee 4-46, Patel 3-55
New Zealand 118 Flynn 20 Herath 6-43, Kulasekera 2-28
Sri Lanka 93-0 Karunatatne 60* -

Days of Grace

International Captain
In defending a 4th innings target, I always feel you need at least 100 overs, thus giving yourselves two shots with the new ball.

Flem274*

123/5
Five sessions imo. Should have at least a 350 run lead by lunch tomorrow if we don't get skittled, and if we bat really well 400, and we should back ourselves to bowl them out. If we manage to bat all day tomorrow and set them 500 it's pointless because Cook and Trott will block all day. Need to give them some hope so they don't completely shut down even if we get a few quick wickets. We want them playing shots.

McCullum has balls so imo he will leave the door slightly ajar. If England chase 350 - 400 in the 4th innings then well played.

We have a bowling attack in what should hopefully be the best bowling conditions of the match. We need to have faith.

I'd rather lose this game than bat too long and draw, though by the looks of it Broad and Anderson are pissed off and batting too long won't be an issue we will need to worry about unless they keep serving up Finn on tonights form.

Grasshopper

State Vice-Captain
I can't believe we're in with a good chance of winning this series and there's no rain forecast for the next two days. Test cricket rocks.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Meh, you guys are safe even if we bowl you out for less than 100 in the morning. Given what we saw in our first innings (not to mention most of the last 15 months) McCullum could save us all a bit of time and declare overnight anyway.

Watching Boult and Southee swing the ball like that does beg the question what the hell Anderson has been doing in this test. Given his no-show against SA last summer and his failure to cash in here, you have to wonder if his career average will finish below 30. I reckon not.

Referring to the point I made earlier, this is so like the 1984 Christchurch test where our bowlers pissed the game away by bowling way too short for the conditions and then our batsmen didn't show an ounce of fight between them. Very, very disappointing to put it mildly. Only Prior is excepted, of course. Root should be but his dismissal was the worst of the lot after he'd done the hard work.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
It's weird. Everyone always talks about Boult as a swing bowler but every moving delivery I've seen from him has been off the deck. Watch the slo-mos and you'll see what I mean.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Amazing day! So awesome to be there. The crowd was surprisingly decent, and the ovation for Boult after his sixth (from fans of both teams) was incredible.

But jeez it got tense near the end. Heart rate took some hours to return to normal.

vandem

International 12th Man
In defending a 4th innings target, I always feel you need at least 100 overs, thus giving yourselves two shots with the new ball.
Which was shown earlier this season at Bangalore and Colombo. NZ left India only 261 runs to win, they got them from 64 overs, 5 wickets down. Another 50 runs would have given Southee and Boult a chance with a second new ball. Against SL the target was 363, and we used the second new ball from over #80 to take the last three wickets.

thierry henry

International Coach
Would just like to say I was there all day Saturday and Sunday and being at Eden Park didn't ruin my life or anything. I actually had a great time and enjoyed the atmosphere :-O

Jezroy

State Captain
So, we're effectively 274/3 at the moment.

The last 22 wickets have fallen for 422 (average 19.2).

Ideally, we get another 125 runs and set England 400.

Those 125 will take around a session and a half, leaving England four and a half sessions to win, lose, or draw.

I think we'll be sweet with another 60 odd runs, but that target of 400 would be ideal.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Would just like to say I was there all day Saturday and Sunday and being at Eden Park didn't ruin my life or anything. I actually had a great time and enjoyed the atmosphere :-O
Pretty sure someone accused you of being Bruce Martin earlier - now your post makes sense ;)

Jezroy

State Captain
Odds at the moment...

NZ - 1.67
Draw - 2.80
Eng - 7.00

I think the odds are weighed more in NZ's favour than that.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Those 125 will take around a session and a half, leaving England four and a half sessions to win, lose, or draw.
Yep, I'd like just over four and a half sessions (approx 140 overs) to bowl England out. Maybe a little more if our batting allows it, though at this stage us scoring 125 more at any sort of reasonable rate over 3 per over looks difficult.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Scoring at 3 per over on this pitch will be difficult. Noone has managed it on a consistent basis so far.

So, a lead of 350 will take England at least 115 overs to get. That's almost four sessions.

Four and a half sessions with a lead of 400 is a good goal. If we plod along at 2.5 per over tomorrow, we will get a 400 run lead mid-way through the 2nd session.

As Flem said, if England survive or even get those runs, fair play to them.

Last edited: