• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

Athlai

Not Terrible
I'll admit Taylor wasn't a poor captain and I was on his side in the captaincy drama but Baz so far has justified his captaincy in all forms of the game as well as proving that his decision to start batting down the order was a pretty good call.

Flem274*

123/5
And then you think back to the attacks that Crowe generally faced compared to the ones against whom Bell has cashed in.
Oh definitely, I'd say Bell's average in context of todays batsmen is good but not exceptional, and he does have a tendency to go very very big when the hard work has been done.

He was a true quality batsman for a couple of years when England were dominant though, and imo can still get back to that point.

L Trumper

State Regular
I'll admit Taylor wasn't a poor captain and I was on his side in the captaincy drama but Baz so far has justified his captaincy in all forms of the game as well as proving that his decision to start batting down the order was a pretty good call.
Yes. He was excellent through out the series, even better today.Very long spells from both bowlers too.

Flem274*

123/5
this

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
not swinging any more, but it's only 40 overs until the new ball. That's crucial.

Just as important is the fact that Bruce Martin is a wicket taker in his own right.

L Trumper

State Regular
Oh definitely, I'd say Bell's average in context of todays batsmen is good but not exceptional, and he does have a tendency to go very very big when the hard work has been done.

He was a true quality batsman for a couple of years when England were dominant though, and imo can still get back to that point.
Even at that time he missed home series against Pak, probably the toughest bowling attack to face at that time. So his stats didn't suffer.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Excellent bowling from both. Once again highlights England ****ness in both bowling and batting. They are mostly getting by Cook, KP, Prior, Jimmy & Swann for the last 18 months. Carrying roughly 6 players tbh. Also special kudos to B Mac. Brilliant captaincy,
This test reminds me so much of the debacle that was Christchurch 1984.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Reckon Wagner will run riot today. A quality player with his tail up. Sort of like Bracewell in that regard. Can be pretty mundane but when the mood takes him will bowl an occasional grenade and force lower order bats into throwing away their wickets.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Agree that McCullum's captaincy seems to have been pretty good - I like the attacking fields.

I'm still suspect on the openers though - this aberration where Fulton and Rutherford consistently score runs is too good to continue. Will review how McCullum batting down the order is going when we're back to being 12/2 every second innings.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Surprisingly good start from Wagner there - no swing but accurate apart from the compulsory bouncer that he must bowl every over.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Agree that McCullum's captaincy seems to have been pretty good - I like the attacking fields.

I'm still suspect on the openers though - this aberration where Fulton and Rutherford consistently score runs is too good to continue. Will review how McCullum batting down the order is going when we're back to being 12/2 every second innings.
This has been one of our greatest opening partnerships in our Test history for any series. It's really, really, really weird.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Finn and Broad at maximum pace are quicker than Boult. Those two are scary quick when they want to be.
I don't know about Broad. I think his maximum pace is overrated because he's 6ft 6, and likes a bouncer. I'd say he's been pretty close to his maximum pace this series actually, which isn't faster than Boult is it?

He seems to have gone back to being everyones favourite punching bag recently, for some reason. But I'm going to say it now; he'll have a gun Ashes. Can't wait to see the Aussies tears when this crap hack of a player does well against their beloved Australia.

Flem274*

123/5
When was the last time two different New Zealand openers scored hundreds in the same series? I remember McIntosh/McCullum in India and Richardson/Fleming in England. Any others?

Completely agree with Doull. Eden Park can gagf wrt test cricket. If you want a test in Auckland, move it somewhere else.