• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Forum crashed with the excitement of a Southee wicket... or maybe it was just for me :happy:. Southee's doing two things he was unable to yesterday - get his regular outswing from a couple of balls that have started a bit straighter, and get the odd ball to tail in slightly as well.

Still a fair few balls that are non-threatening though.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
You don't gain anything from taking the ball in front, because the ball travels faster through the air than in the the gloves. The ball should be taken as close to directly above the stumps as possible. I wasn't watching Watling's positioning particularly carefully, though so it's a fair criticism if he was too far back.
No. Categorically no.

The fastest way to take the bails is with the hands marginally in front of the stumps, then using the momentum of the ball and your body position to direct it back onto the stumps. Take the ball above or behind the stumps, and your wrists and glovework have to be superhuman to avoid time delay and useless, counterproductive movement away from the stumps before you then have to initiate the movement back to the stumps.

Actually, the more I watch Watling the more I notice how close he tends to take the ball to his chest. Wonder how much that will affect him in England when the ball starts wobbling.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
You don't gain anything from taking the ball in front, because the ball travels faster through the air than in the the gloves. The ball should be taken as close to directly above the stumps as possible. I wasn't watching Watling's positioning particularly carefully, though so it's a fair criticism if he was too far back.
But it takes up time to take the ball and then move it onto the stumps. It's a much quicker and smother process to take it in front and move it with the momentum of the ball than vice-versa.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Boult hasn't been good this morning. Comms were talking earlier about the possibility of a leg slip - seriously might be worth a shot for an over or two.

As I say that, Bell plays and misses outside off.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
No. Categorically no.

The fastest way to take the bails is with the hands marginally in front of the stumps, then using the momentum of the ball and your body position to direct it back onto the stumps. Take the ball above or behind the stumps, and your wrists and glovework have to be superhuman to avoid time delay and useless, counterproductive movement away from the stumps before you then have to initiate the movement back to the stumps.

Actually, the more I watch Watling the more I notice how close he tends to take the ball to his chest. Wonder how much that will affect him in England when the ball starts wobbling.
But it takes up time to take the ball and then move it onto the stumps. It's a much quicker and smother process to take it in front and move it with the momentum of the ball than vice-versa.
I guess that does make sense, provided the keeper has good enough judgement to leave the direct hits. Though that would take insane split-second decision making. Would be interesting to see the overall cost/benefit of the technique.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Southee! Looks a different bowler this morning. That almost looked like a hint of reverse - just drifted back in.

Meridio

International Regular
Lands one perfectly though and gets it to jag back! Only question was height - reckon if Bell had reviewed it would be just clipping the bails. Will wait and see..

Flem274*

123/5
2outhee!

Decided to watch his action closely on the ball that happened to just get that wicket - thought "yep, looks better than Wellington at least on this ball" and boom wicket 2 tenths of a second later.

He is sloppy two balls every over though.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Well I think it's fair to say we are well and truly in the s**** now.

Congrats NZ, outclassed us with bat and ball.