• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
What is the consensus on here about the England bowling attack? Are they below par or are these flat pitches and both sides' batting has been inconsistent?

BeeGee

International Captain
What is the consensus on here about the England bowling attack? Are they below par or are these flat pitches and both sides' batting has been inconsistent?
With Swann missing, this bowling attack looks very ordinary.

Here's an example... Peter Fulton isn't a test opener's asshole. He has serious flaws in his batting technique, he doesn't move his feet and scores all his runs on the on side. He started this series with a batting average of 23, which I think is an accurate reflection of his ability. Any bowler with half a brain cell should be able to come up with a plan to get this guy out and yet not one single England bowler was able to do that on day one.

The biggest problem with this English team (and dare I say it, England as a nation) is arrogance. They think they're better than they really are and that they just have to turn up to win.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
With Swann missing, this bowling attack looks very ordinary.

Here's an example... Peter Fulton isn't a test opener's asshole. He has serious flaws in his batting technique, he doesn't move his feet and scores all his runs on the on side. He started this series with a batting average of 23, which I think is an accurate reflection of his ability. Any bowler with half a brain cell should be able to come up with a plan to get this guy out and yet not one single England bowler was able to do that on day one.

The biggest problem with this English team (and dare I say it, England as a nation) is arrogance. They think they're better than they really are and that they just have to turn up to win.
Panesar and Finn have been bowling badly because they are arrogant? Really that is complete an utter bull****.

BeeGee

International Captain
Panesar and Finn have been bowling badly because they are arrogant? Really that is complete an utter bull****.
The English bowlers haven't done their homework on the NZ batsmen. Why haven't they? Because they didn't think they needed to.

Pothas

They have a whole host of anlaysts and the like, that does not mean you are going to bowl well.

You could make a case that there was arrogance in the batting in Dunedin, although I would not personally go along with that. But Finn and Panesar's performances have absolutely nothing to do with arrogance.

BeeGee

International Captain
They have a whole host of anlaysts and the like, that does not mean you are going to bowl well.

You could make a case that there was arrogance in the batting in Dunedin, although I would not personally go along with that. But Finn and Panesar's performances have absolutely nothing to do with arrogance.
Fair enough.

I just need to stop listening to the English media and ex players. They're getting my hackles up.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Really looking forward to tonight. Big day for all of the batsman you feel.

And he cements his place by picking it up with yet another leg side strangle.

I don't think I've ever seen a bowler get so many blokes caught behind down the leg side, tbh.
Haha, quite. Can think of a few in the last Ashes, as well as a couple against South Africa at Lords. He is advantaged by getting close to the stumps and extracting a lot of bounce.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Interesting, okay. I'm going to stay up until 11pm or midnight watching NZ bowl and I'll be interested how they are. I really rate Wagner and Boult - I think they're both very good.

BeeGee

International Captain
Interesting, okay. I'm going to stay up until 11pm or midnight watching NZ bowl and I'll be interested how they are. I really rate Wagner and Boult - I think they're both very good.
Wagner and Boult are performance opposites. Wagner bowls crap and takes lucky wickets he doesn't deserve (and he's arrogant :ph34r:), and Boult bowls beautifully, gets no wickets and is unlucky.

Boult picked up a lucky strangle off Cook yesterday, so hopefully his luck has changed. Would love to see him get his first 5fer today.

Mike5181

International Captain
I enjoy watching Wagner bowl when he gets himself into a good rhythm. He rarely does though. One good delivery is generally followed by three ordinary ones.

Pothas

Fair enough.

I just need to stop listening to the English media and ex players. They're getting my hackles up.
Just stop listening to Botham really. I sort of like him for some reason but really the only done thing is to ignore him.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Bruce Martin was selected in the Test side at a young age before he'd fully developed his game and then spent a decade playing too much international cricket to play regular domestic cricket? You learn something new every day.
Thats not what I meant and you know it :p Warne's average for Victoria was 34. I think it's a combination of Domestic batsmen can get used to you and know your game more than guys who play you in Tests a few times every 4 years, the stakes not being that high in Domestic cricket and specifically in Warne's case, guys trying to take to you just so they say they did. NZ and Aus pitches not being conducive to spin also a factor.

Last edited:

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
If TMS commentary is anything to go by this has been the Nickelback of test series. Every overseas seems to be getting off about how bad it is.

Last edited: