• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
So disappointing that Auckland still has no plans to sort out a proper test ground.

Better off playing these games in Queenstown or even freaking Whangarei tbh.

Jezroy

State Captain
Did anyone go along to the ground today? Hearing on Radio Sport that the crowd yesterday was 5,000 and the crowd today was even smaller.

Not much hope for Auckland getting another Test any time soon if that's right.
Went along - really hard to gauge the crowd size, but I wouldn't have thought much more than around 4000.

Seats uncomfortable. $45 for the day (what a rip off). Food and beverage super expensive. No wonder people just watch at home.

Jezroy

State Captain
So disappointing that Auckland still has no plans to sort out a proper test ground.

Better off playing these games in Queenstown or even freaking Whangarei tbh.
Western Springs apparently closer to confirmation than is being let on.

Auckland Cricket aren't going to be pleased...

James

Cricket Web Owner
Any thought of using the Outer Oval at Albany Stadium? I remember when I lived in Auckland, I went along to a Cricket Max tournament there, and it was enjoyable. I suppose the main issue being the distance away from the city though.....

Last edited:

BeeGee

International Captain
RE: Bruce Martin
"Revelation" has been over-used, and his first innings wickets in Dunedin weren't particularly convincing, but since then he really has been fantastic.

Looking at the way he bowled in Wellington, he was all over Pieterson and Bell and that was in a situation in which England had no scoreboard pressure or pressure from the other end either. He was able to create wickets from nowhere.

The best I had hoped for pre-series was that he'd be able to hold up an end. He has been a revelation because he's been a genuine threat.
A revelation, indeed. The biggest question I have about Martin now, is why doesn't he take more wickets in domestic cricket? His recent domestic record has been very ordinary.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Went along - really hard to gauge the crowd size, but I wouldn't have thought much more than around 4000.

Seats uncomfortable. $45 for the day (what a rip off). Food and beverage super expensive. No wonder people just watch at home.
Wow, no wonder, especially given the prices in Dunedin and Wellington.

BeeGee

International Captain

Last time I watched a Test match at Eden Park it was $15 a day, $45 for the whole match.

Jezroy

State Captain
Last time I watched a Test match at Eden Park it was $15 a day, $45 for the whole match.
When was that out of interest?

To be fair, the $45 stands were the big ones which are end on. It was $35 to be in the side on stands.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Fulton scoring a hundred. New Zealand in a commanding first innings position twice inside one test series. Boult getting a lucky wicket. Who's been spiking my coffee?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
To be fair the tickets were $40 in Dunedin as well, but that was on a sell-out ground with a capacity of 6000, so economics comes into play a bit.

Western Springs would be great actually. The zoo nearby too, so it could make for quite a nice family outing.

BeeGee

International Captain
When was that out of interest?

To be fair, the $45 stands were the big ones which are end on. It was $35 to be in the side on stands.
It would have been around 2000ish. For $15 you could sit anywhere in the ground, any stand. We would move from stand to stand when the cricket was dull, just for the variety. You could also go onto the ground during the lunch break and check out the pitch. Do they still allow that?

Jezroy

State Captain
It would have been around 2000ish. For $15 you could sit anywhere in the ground, any stand. We would move from stand to stand when the cricket was dull, just for the variety. You could also go onto the ground during the lunch break and check out the pitch. Do they still allow that?
Wasn't there at the lunch break, but I think I heard them talking about the fact you could.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
So how did Bartin earn his reputation as a darter? has he changed his style over the last few years, while people still judged him based on his earlier career?

biased indian

International Coach
hopefully NZ will win this test match so that i can get rid-off my avatar and get back to my good old penguins..provided india win their last match

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
The frustrating thing about the batting today is that it still gives England a chance to win the test.

Had we scored 500+ that chance would've been obliterated, but they do have reason to believe now.

What a huge job for Bruce Martin tomorrow.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Huge job for all the bowlers tomorrow. Very important day coming up. I don't want England coming to within 100 runs of us because I do fear the good old 3rd innings lollapse.

Series win on the line. Reckon McCullum is the right leader to have in this situation.

The first two sessions were a little frustrating. Fulton became becalmed when I thought the huge pressure release from yesterday would have seen him play a few ****s today.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
So how did Bartin earn his reputation as a darter? has he changed his style over the last few years, while people still judged him based on his earlier career?
His 4.2 economy rate in List A suggests quite a bit of darting. Also, probably the same way someone who's watching Sodhi for the first time in an HRV Cup game next summer will turn to his mate and joke about him getting less off the straight than Tastle.

Still a bit of a pub guy, from all accounts Bartin. Feasible he only bucked up his ideas when McCullum came in, he would've instinctively sensed a bit of an ally there. Finally a captain who a) doesn't like facing SLA and therefore rates him highly and b) he can have a drink and a ciggie with behind the bike sheds.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good days play, game on now after looking a snoozefest draw after day 1. Would be happy getting to within 80 of NZ and waiting for a collapse.

Jezroy

State Captain
Still a bit of a pub guy, from all accounts Bartin. Feasible he only bucked up his ideas when McCullum came in, he would've instinctively sensed a bit of an ally there. Finally a captain who a) doesn't like facing SLA and therefore rates him highly and b) he can have a drink and a ciggie with behind the bike sheds.
b) is very important

Jezroy

State Captain
Thoughts on Taylor? He got a hundred in one of the ODI's, but apart from that has been unable to kick on. More knowledgeable folk than I, does he look that different to how he was before he had a break? Is it a mental thing? Does he just need more game time. I don't think he looks bad, he just seems to keep finding ways of getting out...