• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Because of Trott's movement across my immediate reaction was that it pitched outside.

But damn, that was plumb.

BeeGee

International Captain
Pity the Kookaburra ball doesn't do enough to take any wickets on these ridiculously flat pitches.

11 wickets so far today.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Bartin's been teasing Compton, who really doesn't want to come forward. Both he and Bell look like they want to get after Bartin but have to hold themselves back.

Edit: Apparently only Compton has faced Bartin so far

Last edited:

BeeGee

International Captain
Here's a nice quote from my mate Botham. During the lunch break he said...

"Obviously England will score their runs a lot quicker than NZ have."

England steaming along at 2rpo.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Those two wickets tonight make this a reasonable day for us. Tomorrow will go a long way to deciding whether we get a result (either way) or whether it will peter out as a draw.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
no way will this be a draw if we get 5 full days IMO. NZ are on top, but England could get a small lead and then we could collapse if England actually figure out how to swing the ball/we stop playing Monty so well.

I can't see either team batting out a draw though. There is swing, a bit of deviation, and definite turn, and a series victory on the line.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Great way to end the day. Here's hoping we can pick up a quick couple of wickets in the morning.

Every time I see Bruce Martin bowl or bat, I think here's a cricketer who tries his best for NZ, gives 100% and is continuing to get great results. It's a big call, but even if Vettori was fit, I'd stick with Martin.

Mike5181

International Captain
Great way to end the day. Here's hoping we can pick up a quick couple of wickets in the morning.

Every time I see Bruce Martin bowl or bat, I think here's a cricketer who tries his best for NZ, gives 100% and is continuing to get great results. It's a big call, but even if Vettori was fit, I'd stick with Martin.
Bowling-wise he's done more than we would have expected Vettori to do had he been fit.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
RE: Bruce Martin
"Revelation" has been over-used, and his first innings wickets in Dunedin weren't particularly convincing, but since then he really has been fantastic.

Looking at the way he bowled in Wellington, he was all over Pieterson and Bell and that was in a situation in which England had no scoreboard pressure or pressure from the other end either. He was able to create wickets from nowhere.

The best I had hoped for pre-series was that he'd be able to hold up an end. He has been a revelation because he's been a genuine threat.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Did anyone go along to the ground today? Hearing on Radio Sport that the crowd yesterday was 5,000 and the crowd today was even smaller.

Not much hope for Auckland getting another Test any time soon if that's right.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Bowling-wise he's done more than we would have expected Vettori to do had he been fit.
Yes totally agree with that.

RE: Bruce Martin
"Revelation" has been over-used, and his first innings wickets in Dunedin weren't particularly convincing, but since then he really has been fantastic.

Looking at the way he bowled in Wellington, he was all over Pieterson and Bell and that was in a situation in which England had no scoreboard pressure or pressure from the other end either. He was able to create wickets from nowhere.

The best I had hoped for pre-series was that he'd be able to hold up an end. He has been a revelation because he's been a genuine threat.
Likewise, I didn't think much of his selection at the time, but he's proved a lot of people wrong. A good bold selection when the easy option would have been to go back to Jeetan Patel.

Been impressed with McCullum's captaincy in this Test series also. Nice and attacking and playing with field placement, etc. I certainly think if we were looking for a player of the summer it would be McCullum.