• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Fulton got to his hundred from 203 balls, so since then it's 34 from 127. I know England's seam bowling to Fulton has been rather negative this morning but Fulton must find a way to work a few more runs.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Botham and Willis having a big whinge about the pitches. Completely missing the point that a) there's been a little bit in this pitch; and b) England have bowled trash.
It's so annoying because the touring English public are fantastic - at least the ones I've met. They very fair and give credit where it's due.

The media just whinge and moan about everything that's not going England's way. Playing only one tour match? So ****ing what.

Here are the comments from Southee after a similar first day in Wellington:
New Zealand v England, 2nd Test, Wellington, 1st day : Didn't start well in favourable conditions - Tim Southee | Cricket News | New Zealand v England | ESPN Cricinfo
It was a tough day. I don't think we started particularly well with the new ball in favourable conditions, and the little period after lunch wasn't great either," Southee said. "There was a little in it early and I don't think we used that to our advantage. We were chasing it from there. But between that we showed patches where we managed to dry up [the runs], and if we'd grabbed a couple of wickets, it could have been a different story
And this is what Finn had to say last night:
Cricket | Peter Fulton Stands Tall Against England... | Stuff.co.nz
"I thought we went past the edge a fair amount today. They were lucky in that regard,"
And this is what cricinfo had to say:
New Zealand v England, 3rd Test, Auckland, 1st day Report : Peter Fulton, Kane Williamson grind England | Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo
...barely a ball deviated in the air or off the pitch all day as New Zealand reached 250 for the loss of just one wicket by stumps...
...Certainly they will reflect that they did not fully utilise the new ball. It is not that James Anderson or Stuart Broad bowled badly - far from it - just that they did not make the New Zealand openers play as often as they might in the first few overs...
For a start, that just doesn't make sense. Secondly, did they even watch the match? Yes it's not a massively seaming wicket but there was definitely movement both in the air and off the pitch.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Notice how Brownlie had his bat grounded the whole time for that straight drive from Fulton that Monty almost deflected onto the stumps. Makes a mockery of the whole "run-out backing up is unlucky" thing.

Jezroy

State Captain
If they bowl short and wide, then yes.

Anyone actually watching the match will have seen that there is some deviation off the pitch and a small amount of swing. Useless if you don't put it in the right areas though.

England bowled like a team of Ishant Sharmas yesterday.
IF we can bowl well with the new ball, and get England under a bit of pressure we may be able to put some pressure on them.

Be interesting to see if the pitch does break up on Day 4 and 5.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
It's so annoying because the touring English public are fantastic - at least the ones I've met. They very fair and give credit where it's due.

The media just whinge and moan about everything that's not going England's way. Playing only one tour match? So ****ing what.
Meh, it is what it is and it's not going to change. Far worse 10-15 years ago when NZ were quite good and England were actually rubbish, so sections of the English media had nothing whatsoever to justify their default position of we are England, we are good at cricket, you are little New Zealand, if you somehow beat us you were fortunate, we were unlucky, external factors conspired against us etc.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Urgh, McMillan is so irritating. "New Zealand aren't being aggressive enough! They need to try and score faster!"
Richardson: "Like Taylor tried to do immediately before getting out?"
Changes subject.

Jezroy

State Captain
The pitch looked plenty green on the news last night. Plenty.

As long as there are 5 fine days, I think there will be a result. I doubt it's gonna be a case of 600/3 dec, plays 550 etc etc.
Well, I doubt we're going to get 600/3 dec. But still...

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
taylor had the right idea, there were free runs with no men on the boundary. It was after they put the man back that he lost a bit of clarity in what he was trying to do.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
England have their fielding placements right to Fulton today. He's definitely someone that can be restricted in this way.