• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
No he can say Henry and Bennett are back now if he wants. Possible those two and Southee will deny him crucial points in the next two Plunket rounds, all going well.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Never understood the love for Bennett.

A few cheap wickets in the world cup even though he was getting the line wrong half the time.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
You can't coach speed Hendrix. Hulking frame Crusaders-looking guy, ex-South Africans, ex-Australians, all are very, very good additions. The chef's answer to this stew is always 'add a bit more mongrel and hard-nosed intent'.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Two things Bondy...you've forgotten who your mates are, in the changing room. Three years ago you were with us...and the other thing is you're just an idiot, you keep in close contact with a veritable hospital ward full of Stags, even though you were one of the most frustrating fast bowlers to watch....
Haha, nice use.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Never understood the love for Bennett.

A few cheap wickets in the world cup even though he was getting the line wrong half the time.
Bennett is unreliable injury wise and should never be selected for new zealand again.

He makes Jacob Oram look like an iron man.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yet another bit of implying it's vaguely a bad thing while completely missing the point.

The number of South-African born players in these sides is concerning, but only because it shows how much of a minority sport cricket really is. The team doesn't represent the population because most of the population isn't interested.

Mike5181

International Captain
Yet another bit of implying it's vaguely a bad thing while completely missing the point.

The number of South-African born players in these sides is concerning, but only because it shows how much of a minority sport cricket really is. The team doesn't represent the population because most of the population isn't interested.
Cricket isn't popular in England?

Howe_zat

Audio File
Not remotely. Football is omnipresent and both rugby codes, tennis and F1 all come ahead of cricket. More to the point cricket is almost never played in state schools, excluding voluntary clubs. The vast majority of people here, at least my age, have never seen a game and couldn't name an England player.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Two things Bondy...you've forgotten who your mates are, in the changing room. Three years ago you were with us...and the other thing is you're just an idiot, you keep in close contact with a veritable hospital ward full of Stags, even though you were one of the most frustrating fast bowlers to watch....
:laugh:

Forgotten how good that was; just love the look of shock and hurt on Rigor's face.

Was a lot of discussion on CW at the time when people thought it was kosher and Fleming was really giving him a serve.

Not remotely. Football is omnipresent and both rugby codes, tennis and F1 all come ahead of cricket. More to the point cricket is almost never played in state schools, excluding voluntary clubs. The vast majority of people here, at least my age, have never seen a game and couldn't name an England player.
Team sports-wise I'd guess cricket is second or third, actually. Real big ****ing drop off after #1 tho, obvz. Union probably has more followers (particularly if we're talking UK rather than England), but cricket does have the schedules more to itself when the footy season ends.

Definitely has more reach than league because the latter is still primarily centred along the M62 corridor.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I wouldn't say the game really lacks popularity. It's probably the 2nd or 3rd most popular sport in the country. But the lack of cricket in state schools is a worry. I've never played a cricket match at school, bar the odd plastic bat and tennis ball game. My whole interest comes from being introduced to it by family. On the other hand, I just got born into football really.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Yes it's concerning both from the perspective you raise and also because it's a huge loss for South African cricket and society. At some point their continual export of so many people to other parts of the world is surely going to affect their cricket, and already does affect their country. I looked around NZ first class sides recently and approx 1 in 7 players is born in South Africa. That is enormous and is not just a minor oddity.

Popularity/non-popularity of cricket in NZ has been discussed on here quite a lot before though I was at least heartened by how many followers of the game made themselves heard (angrily) after the recent captaincy debacle, while in the media as the gloss slips more quickly from the ODI format, I think more people are placing a higher value on tests and that is surely good for cricket in NZ.

I grew up playing and watching lots of soccer but when I was in the UK I found its all-consuming nature completely off-putting. I didn't meet many people who were interested in cricket though.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I feel the exact same way about Rugby in New Zealand. I really liked it as a kid actually. But around the time of the 2003 world cup, I just got incredibly sick of the all consuming coverage and ridiculous media bias, so I just kinda stopped paying attention to it (both the sport and the reporting of it). Nowadays I only tune in to the sport during world cups, and I haven't watched a rugby international in a non-cup year since about 2004.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
So what? It's in far better health than football, regardless of participation numbers.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Honestly this is just **** stirring. whoever this "source" is is a wanker.

Relationships between people are not always good but after a while people forget about things like this.
They forget them if the team wins or plays as well as it can. If not the press jump on it. Will be interesting to see how NZ play in the double series coming up. Are they a team or just a bunch of individuals etc...?

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Didn't realised tonights game was being televised. w00t!

Although, now that I know about it, it will probably be rained out.