• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

Mike5181

International Captain
I'm really looking forward to this series but Southee not being fit on top of Vettori and Ryder's continuing absence is about where I'd be saying **** this.

Does anyone think we should just play four seamers and not bother with a spinner? Patel and B Martin both just seem so meh.
Who would you go for? Mitch?

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I could see Ian Butler getting a call up to the squad as well.
I've wondered that too since he's started taking a fair few domestic wickets and has scored a few runs too. I've always been a closet fan of Butler's bowling (think I'm the only one) so I wouldn't mind seeing him in a limited overs side. Waiting to see the highlights of his recent 6-fer too.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I've wondered that too since he's started taking a fair few domestic wickets and has scored a few runs too. I've always been a closet fan of Butler's bowling (think I'm the only one) so I wouldn't mind seeing him in a limited overs side. Waiting to see the highlights of his recent 6-fer too.
He got named in the T20I squad today.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Who would you go for? Mitch?
I just don't know - too many unknowns at this point. Will Mitch M be able to fit a FC game in for Auckland in between NZ limited overs matches? Really needs 4-day wickets. What will Gillespie be bowling like? Or will he just get injured again? Will any of our promising young bowlers be fit and ready? Are we completely counting out Wagner (Bahnz sez yes)? And will all of Southee, Bracewell and Boult be fit?

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Has anyone seen clips in the vault where Mitch was swinging the red ball? The lbws he gets in shorter form cricket disappear, I've noticed that.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Does anyone think we should just play four seamers and not bother with a spinner? Patel and B Martin both just seem so meh.
Yes, Williamson can sling down a few overs of reasonable off spin. I quite like the idea of Kyle Mills because a) he won us a test against England last time b) he's in form this season in FC & the ODI's c) would add some experience given C Martin won't make the starting XI.

If not Mills, then Ian Butler who appears to be in superb form.

Flametree

International 12th Man
I see Flynn got another nothing score today. If he doesn't make a 100 before the first test I'd be seriously reluctant to open with him. Which leaves.... Rutherford I guess. Or Fulton.

Mike5181

International Captain
Sheesh tough crowd.... He came into this game
Off the back of 166 last week.
In some ways it would have been better to see him initially fail in first-class, and then regain form over the next game or two. The fact that he looked so dire against South Africa, and then in his first game back smashed 166 in the Plunket Shield. It just makes a mockery of the standard of the competition really.

vandem

International 12th Man
Or use Nathan McC at #7? Can't be much worse with the ball than Jeets or Bruce Martin, can bat, can field.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Or use Nathan McC at #7? Can't be much worse with the ball than Jeets or Bruce Martin, can bat, can field.
Nah, he definitely can be. how the **** this guy rated by anyone as anything except a 20/20 darter/slogger is beyond me. We have perfectly good seamers, why not use them eh?

Mike5181

International Captain
Williamson isn't that much worse than our spin bowling options either. He can partially fill that role, I guess.