• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

Woodster

International Captain
Obviously England's plan will be to bat the entire day, so at what point do we just throw the ball around our batsmen to protect our bowlers?
Will surely give their all till at least tea time probably later into the final session, cannot see us getting into a big enough lead soon enough for NZ to be able to bowl the batsman until near the end of the day.

Although Kane Williamson on now.

Woodster

International Captain
Surprising that England aren't turning up the heat on NZ and trying to force them in an uncomfortable chase. Safe cricket it seems.
Yes from the position we were after first innings' think Flower and Cook will be pleased to get to Wellington with the score 0-0. Don't think it's in this England management's make-up to necessarily risk losing a Test in order to win one, not that I disagree in this case. Let's just bat properly and see where we are later in the day, KP invariably has to be the man of the day in order to set possible victories up in these situations.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Surprising that England aren't turning up the heat on NZ and trying to force them in an uncomfortable chase. Safe cricket it seems.
If you could start by explaining how it would be possible to set an uncomfortable chase on this wicket, whilst also keeping in mind that two quick wickets would make us 19/4, then we might be able to have this conversation.

Mr_Ronan

Banned
If you could start by explaining how it would be possible to set an uncomfortable chase on this wicket, whilst also keeping in mind that two quick wickets would make us 19/4, then we might be able to have this conversation.
Pretty simple...tell Finn to get on with it. He's scoring at a SR of 35 on a batsman's paradise. Best case scenario is that he would have hit 30 runs in the past 10 overs rather than 15...worst case scenario is that you lose the wicket of a genuine tail ender, bringing to the crease your dominant, quick scoring no. 4. Problem? :D

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
So he's not actually a lawn bowler, but an investment banker come manager and analyst who has played and coached at grade level in Australia. I really don't see the issue with that given the importance of analysis and big data in modern sport.
It gives disgruntled NZ followers something to throw at him though.

Personally I think NZ selection has been fairly good in recent times. There have been a few random wtfs (Rob Nicol 4 testz) but I seem to remember more of those during previous regimes.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
So he's not actually a lawn bowler, but an investment banker come manager and analyst who has played and coached at grade level in Australia. I really don't see the issue with that given the importance of analysis and big data in modern sport.
Yeah, Atherton and Smith clearly exaggerating for comedic effect. Not really that much more funkeh than Pat Howard being performance director (or whatever his title is) for CA.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Pretty simple...tell Finn to get on with it. He's scoring at a SR of 35 on a batsman's paradise. Best case scenario is that he would have hit 30 runs in the past 10 overs rather than 15...worst case scenario is that you lose the wicket of a genuine tail ender, bringing to the crease your dominant, quick scoring no. 4. Problem? :D
Finn making 50 will be far more demoralising for the Kiwis than our setting a target that they won't need to try chasing.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
So that's the third edge behind the wicket this morning that has yorked the fielder trying to catch it. Frustrating.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Wonder if Richard will be tuning in for Sky UK's lunchtime special reviewing Harmison's 7/12?

Personally I'm flicking over for the Tirreno-Adriatico highlights...

Furball

Evil Scotsman
This pitch should be reported and the groundsman/relevant authorities fined and severely censored. It's a ****ing joke.