• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

Mike5181

International Captain
ODIs:
1. Martin Guptill
2. BJ Watling
3. Kane Williamson
4. Ross Taylor
5. Brendon McCullum
6. Grant Elliott
7. James Franklin
8. Nathan McCullum
9. Kyle Mills
10. Trent Boult
11. Mitchell McClenaghan

Meridio

International Regular
Oh FFS, Ellis is such a nothing player. I can understand Neesham being dropped - though as you say Phlegm, the role he was playing was stupid - but at least he has potential, unlike Ellis.

Also, Boult shouldn't be in the T20 side. Don't want him going down the Southee route of losing his test bowling ability by virtue of playing too much T20.

Flem274*

123/5
McCullum is probably the worst possible number five I can think of in the squad. He's not a bad batsman he just isn't suited to the middle overs nudging.

Might continue from SA though.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Wonder if Nicol is officially done. Howsie diatribe on Elliott and how the whole essence of T20 is that it doesn't have middle overs probably not far away.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah Ellis went straight through Ross's forward defence on a road, got Hesscum's test No. 7 vote with that.

Flem274*

123/5
If Ellis ever plays a test I'm putting a bet on him taking 3/30 on debut. Has a habit of always doing better than expected.

Brumby's head will explode when he sees his action as well, so there's something to look forward to.

Actually it's quite conceivable we could be treated to 30 overs of Mills, Ellis and Williamson.

Should have given Nick Beard a call up.

Mike5181

International Captain
McCullum is probably the worst possible number five I can think of in the squad. He's not a bad batsman he just isn't suited to the middle overs nudging.

Might continue from SA though.
Guptill and Watling are better openers than him anyway. The latter is even less suited to that 5-7 role where he'll quite often find himself finishing off an innings.

Flem274*

123/5
Watling will be fine at 5/6. It's not all about boom boom, and that's what Franklin is there for. He can just run the singles and is capable of hitting boundaries, just through good shots rather than pure power.

Didn't he bat right down the order and finish on 50* several times last year?

Meridio

International Regular
Mike "****ing" Hesson said:
Andrew proved his worth with the team last summer
Ellis' international record:
Code:
ODIs: 132 runs @ 14.66
       8 wickets @ 33
T20: 19 runs @ 9.5
     0 wickets @ infinity. RPO 10.00
Yep, proved his worth alright. What a player.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Watling will be fine at 5/6. It's not all about boom boom, and that's what Franklin is there for. He can just run the singles and is capable of hitting boundaries, just through good shots rather than pure power.

If McCullum plays as a finisher and bats 6-7 I think that's fine really; he should be good at that. I agree that he shouldn't be batting 3-5 in ODIs though.

Mike5181

International Captain

Franklin isn't just a boom boom guy, nor is Elliot. They are both well capable of filling the middle-order knock it around for singles role in that 5/6 position, there's no point having all three of Elliot, Franklin, and Watling from 5-7 in the batting order. Watling averages 48 as an opener against non-minnows, and isn't just after a quick 25(10). He can get 40(55-65). That's exactly what we need up there to avoid an early collapse, and give the guys down the order some freedom later on in the innings. In the last two years, McCullum averages 10 as an opener against non-minnows.

Flem274*

123/5
Batting McCullum at 5 isn't going to help that average though.

As PEWS said, if Watling needs to open because McCullum plays as a pure finisher thats fine because he was good at that before his initial move to opener, but there's no way he should be at 4 or 5.

Mike5181

International Captain
Batting McCullum at 5 isn't going to help that average though.

As PEWS said, if Watling needs to open because McCullum plays as a pure finisher thats fine because he was good at that before his initial move to opener, but there's no way he should be at 4 or 5.
Watling is the better opener of the two. Therefore he doesn't need to play as an opener because McCullum is a finisher. The latter should be filling the finisher role because he isn't as good as BJ as an opener, and he already has a wealth of experience in the position. 4 isn't relevant at all here. You can disagree with 5, but he's a finisher anyway. He can play anywhere from 5-7 depending on the situation. Elliot could easily play 5, and knock it around for singles. McCullum/Franklin are well capable of playing in the 35-50 over period in the innings. It makes no sense to move Watling for the tenth time.

Athlai

Not Terrible
The idea of filling a team with Wellington batsman for their ability to play out a knock fills me with disgust.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Well done to Rutherford. I haven't seen much of him, but seems like a good ball striker and will offer an attacking left hand opening option in Ryder's absence.