• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Surprised to see that Southee is consistently so slow on the speed gun - 131, 130, 133 etc. I know it's the end of the day but he wasn't much quicker earlier either.

Think if Southee was on song he'd be 5ks quicker

Jezroy

State Captain
If at the start of the day, someone said "Boult will get all our wickets today", I would have thought Hadlee like thoughts.

At first.

BeeGee

International Captain
Superb from Cook and Compton. They've done the hard yards England needed and have all but saved the game.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Don't forget being born in South Africa
Dunno. I mean KP's way past Nicholas on the yarpometer and he's got (arguably) the highest media profile of any current England player, so having connections to the Republic isn't necessarily a bar on being written about.

Trouble with Compo jr is that he'll never be Denis and the fact that he looks and sounds as if he should be a more dashing player than he is (handsome, muscular, nice hair, eloquent) just leaves one focussing on what he's not rather than his own virtues.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well done Compton, ends any debate about his slot till the middle of summer now. Deserves a good run in the side and will get it.

Captain Cook is amazing, 6 hundreds in 7 tests as skipper. Not a bad record.

Should save this now but taking nothing for granted as we could easily be 3 down in no time in the morning and NZ will have their tails up.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Yeah fair play england, you don't get the top spot by rolling over in successive innings. Still 60 behind though so this game is far from over.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Losing Cook just gives NZ a chink of light. You never know what those retards are going to do without Cook.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Alastair Cook now has a 100 against every test nation he's played. The only nation he hasn't played being Zimbabwe.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
What a terrific effort from England here, but fmd NZ must be gutted. Day could not have gone any worse.

Cook wag. Fair play to Compton too, love the joy when a player brings up their maiden ton.

Briony

International Debutant
What a terrific effort from England here, but fmd NZ must be gutted. Day could not have gone any worse.

Cook wag. Fair play to Compton too, love the joy when a player brings up their maiden ton.

Yes Elgar went nuts. Would have to say some average looking players get test tons these days:D.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm going to put it out there that when Compton actually plays his shots they're pretty elegant and neat to watch. I wouldn't say he was an ugly player; he's just really defensive. Well, so far in his Test career anyway.

Elgar though...

Howe_zat

Audio File
I'm going to put it out there that when Compton actually plays his shots they're pretty elegant and neat to watch. I wouldn't say he was an ugly player; he's just really defensive. Well, so far in his Test career anyway.

Elgar though...
It's a strange one. Him playing so visibly within himself can look pretty tortuous.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Elgar though...
Fair play to England as their openers did brilliantly but a top 3 of Cook, Compton and Trott is a sure-fire cure for insomnia

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lol, so true. Swann once said something similar when Strauss was playing instead of Compton. I reckon Compton may be worse.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Lol, so true. Swann once said something similar when Strauss was playing instead of Compton. I reckon Compton may be worse.
I like watching Compton bat. It may just be because he's 'new' though; I always quite enjoy watching good players I haven't seen much of and getting used to how they bat, unless they're really obviously ungainly. Compton has just played a lot of slow, defensive innings this far, because it's been justified more than not. It'll be interesting to see if he picks up the pace in other circumstances; I think he'd be quite good to watch if he was looking to get on top, personally.