Cricket Player Manager
Page 223 of 508 FirstFirst ... 123173213221222223224225233273323 ... LastLast
Results 3,331 to 3,345 of 7611
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: ***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    I can't help thinking that England are in danger of missing the boat with Jonny Bairstow, given that he isn't going to play in this series as things stand. The selectors seem to have forgotten about him coming in against SA at the end of last summer, scoring about 150 against the best attack in world cricket and massively showing up the rest of the top 6. All of which being done under massive pressure given the circumstances leading up to the match, the fact that it was such an important match, and his own battles to sort out his game against the short ball. I'm trying to remember why he didn't play against India - initially losing out to Patel's 2nd rate spin option and then leaving the tour for personal reasons iirc?

Nothing personal against Compton, but we could do with him being on the end of a minor injury for the next few weeks so that Root opens and Bairstow comes in at 6. Looks far better as a long term strategy imo.
    Long term isn't really the priority right now, though. Compton deserved his call up because he got massive amounts of runs in division one, more than Bairstow I might add, and has kept his place because he did well in difficult circumstances (is there are harder place to make your international debut as an Englishmen than India?). Bairstow did well against South Africa, but he was really just filling in for KP. He hasn't looked a marvellous player of spin, so he was left out of the ideal XI for the India series, but still managed to get a go because of Bell going home, and failed.

It's a pretty massive twelve months for England, and I think they need to go with the XI they feel are the best and the XI that will be the safest bets for an Ashes series, not gambling on a rookie because it could have long term benefits. And lets face it, at his age, Bairstow is hardly going to be ruined by having to wait until 2014 to get another go. And it's unlikely that our entire top six will do well enough over the next year that none of them will be under any pressure by then if not before. If Bairstow does well for Yorkshire this season I reckon he'll get his chance soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    Long term isn't really the priority right now, though. Compton deserved his call up because he got massive amounts of runs in division one, more than Bairstow I might add, and has kept his place because he did well in difficult circumstances (is there are harder place to make your international debut as an Englishmen than India?). Bairstow did well against South Africa, but he was really just filling in for KP. He hasn't looked a marvellous player of spin, so he was left out of the ideal XI for the India series, but still managed to get a go because of Bell going home, and failed.
    If I were a new opening batsman I think I'd rather face the current Indian attack than any of Steyn+Philander, Pattinson+ one of Siddle/Bird/Starc, Roach+Rampaul, Boult+Southee. Of course if you aren't the best player of spin, it may be you will survive the new ball and get a start but then struggle to go on with it against spinners on supposedly spin-friendly wickets. Which is pretty much what Compton did. But still, I'd rather have had Compton's initiation into test cricket that Nasir Jamshed's for instance...

Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post

It's a pretty massive twelve months for England, and I think they need to go with the XI they feel are the best and the XI that will be the safest bets for an Ashes series, not gambling on a rookie because it could have long term benefits. And lets face it, at his age, Bairstow is hardly going to be ruined by having to wait until 2014 to get another go. And it's unlikely that our entire top six will do well enough over the next year that none of them will be under any pressure by then if not before. If Bairstow does well for Yorkshire this season I reckon he'll get his chance soon enough.
    Good problem to have anyway. It wasn't that long ago with Bell and Strauss in extended poor patches of form, Pietersen having temporarily retired and #6 still being a revolving door that England's batting cupboard looked really bare. That situation has gave lots of players opportunities and enough of them have grabbed hold of them to now actually give the team one too many players worthy of more chances; it's healthy depth.

At one point, James Taylor was batting five and Strauss had announced his impending retirement - that effectively made Taylor fourth in the England batting pecking order, with a badly misfiring Bell third. Compton looked solid and progressively more confident in India, Bell has turned around his form and done the unthinkable by playing a crucial innings in turning conditions, Pietersen has come out of retirement and played the innings of his career almost immediately, Root has been a revelation in England colours in general and Bairstow as mentioned had a great Test against the best bowling attack in the world. I don't think having Bairstow bide his time is a bad thing at all, and it's frankly great news for England that someone who has played such a fine innings already in Test cricket is ready to step into the top six should something go awry in the Ashes. Lets face it, in a five Test series, something usually does.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Speaking of Gillespie peeps, I forgot to ask yesterday but I see that despite being horrible whenever I tuned in, and him getting ripped into on here for having no rhythm, he got 4fer in the second innings. Were they random good balls or what?
    The ball that got Woakes was a bit of an annoying, 'Wagner won't offer this' wicket, late in the video on my channel.

The match will probably be upped into the vault tomorrow, that would be in keeping with other more remote venues. Cribb will tell Cabinet and others how to make it work outside New Zealand, probably a post on Cabinet's page would be ideal.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Supercilious Solipsist View Post
    Never go full kippax.
    NZ RAIN RADAR . AGRIBUSINESS MONITORING . KIPPAX CRICKET . DOOR TO THE VAULT

Quote Originally Posted by Flametree View Post
    If I were a new opening batsman I think I'd rather face the current Indian attack than any of Steyn+Philander, Pattinson+ one of Siddle/Bird/Starc, Roach+Rampaul, Boult+Southee. Of course if you aren't the best player of spin, it may be you will survive the new ball and get a start but then struggle to go on with it against spinners on supposedly spin-friendly wickets. Which is pretty much what Compton did. But still, I'd rather have had Compton's initiation into test cricket that Nasir Jamshed's for instance...
    You make a good point, and I admit I failed to really think about where he was batting when he said that. However, given England's year in Asia before hand, and the fact that Compton had been scoring his runs last season in the most different conditions to Mumbai imaginable, it certainly wasn't an easy baptism. Also, two seamers only opened the bowling in one innings for India, and Ojha and Aswhin aren't terrible, so having to go out as an opening batsman against decent spinners is pretty tricky.
    Last edited by Cabinet96; 02-03-2013 at 07:59 PM.

International Debutant theegyptian's Avatar
    I think we should do some kind of prediction thread for these next six tests between England and New Zealand. But with some really random questions as well as the standard most runs scored. Thoughts on interesting predictions to make?

Heh, our next 15 tests are against two different teams.

International Debutant ohnoitsyou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theegyptian View Post
    I think we should do some kind of prediction thread for these next six tests between England and New Zealand. But with some really random questions as well as the standard most runs scored. Thoughts on interesting predictions to make?
    Williamson to make a double hundred

Fulton's last test:

Dunedin -
    Wellington -
    Auckland - Kippax
    Lord's -
    Leeds -
    Bangladesh -
    Survives until next home summer - PEWS

Williamson prods outside off that carry to the cordon in the series:

6 - Kippax

Southee vs. Anderson, outswingers in new ball spells that beat the bat:

Southee by 10-20 - Kippax
    Last edited by Kippax; 02-03-2013 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post

Fulton's last test:

Dunedin -
    Wellington -
    Auckland - Kippax
    Lord's -
    Leeds -
    Bangladesh -

6 - Kippax

I'd have to actually think he was going to hit runs to have my name in that spot. I just think Hesson is really keen to give him an extended run; that'll be at least this series and probably the start of the next one too unless Rutherford is considerably outperforming him when Guptill returns into the frame or Ryder returns and the middle order is scoring enough runs to force McCullum back to open (ha!).

So I'll have Leeds thanks.

International Debutant ohnoitsyou's Avatar
    Fulton's last test:

Dunedin -
    Wellington - ohnoitsyou
    Auckland - Kippax
    Lord's -
    Leeds -
    Bangladesh -

2- ohnoitsyou
    6 - Kippax

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Fulton's last test:

Dunedin - Phlegm
    Wellington - ohnoitsyou
    Auckland - Kippax
    Lord's -
    Leeds -
    Bangladesh -

Put me down for Dunedin. Backing a pair and a knee jerk dropping for Tom Latham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Dunedin - Phlegm
    Wellington - ohnoitsyou
    Auckland - Kippax
    Lord's -
    Leeds - PEWS
    Bangladesh -
    Survives until next home summer -

Fulton's last test:

Dunedin - Phlegm
    Wellington - ohnoitsyou
    Auckland - Kippax
    Lord's -
    Leeds - PEWS
    Bangladesh - Cabinet
    Survives until next home summer -

2- ohnoitsyou
    3- Cabinet
    6 - Kippax

Anderson by 5-10 - Cabinet

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Anderson is bowling to our openers, remember. He's got that one in the bag.
    Exit pursuing a beer

Thread Information