• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So what are people's thoughts on Broad these days?

IMO, and despite the odd excellent performance, he's hardly improved since debut and still has the same technical (poor use of the front arm) and tactical (length is too short) flaws

Now one might be related to the other as it must be difficult to pitch in on a consistently good length if the front arm is flapping around and being thrown out towards cover.

However, his ****ty attitude on the field gives the impression that he feels as if he is bowling well and is just a good player out of luck

Unfortunately, the stats dont lie and he is averaging early 30s with a bullet upwards despite bowling largely in favourable conditions and behind a guy that consistently makes early breakthroughs

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Well the kiwis are certainly on top, but for me the signs were there that England's attack are starting to hit their straps now, Anderson looked well wound up :D , imo NZ need to try and push the lead to around 250 and then throw England in, wouldn't surprise me if England hang on tbh, they've done it before against better attacks.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
So what are people's thoughts on Broad these days?

IMO, and despite the odd excellent performance, he's hardly improved since debut and still has the same technical (poor use of the front arm) and tactical (length is too short) flaws

Now one might be related to the other as it must be difficult to pitch in on a consistently good length if the front arm is flapping around and being thrown out towards cover.

However, his ****ty attitude on the field gives the impression that he feels as if he is bowling well and is just a good player out of luck

Unfortunately, the stats dont lie and he is averaging early 30s with a bullet upwards despite bowling largely in favourable conditions and behind a guy that consistently makes early breakthroughs
Yeah, broad's action is truly awful at the moment.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So England may yet get saved by the weather, a better performance today but not saying much and can still improve. Pitch looks flat so if we bat properly we should save the game. Could be the one chance NZ get to force a win as England can't play this badly again surely so they need to take it.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Wagner vs Bracewell is another interesting decision if the former continues to perform. It's only the one bowling performance so far though.
I don't particularly rate Wagner that highly, but I think being put on the back burner and asked to do a bit more to show he's a must pick might be a good thing for Bracewell at this stage. Let Wagner have a run at it, prove himself either way, and Bracewell needs to batter the door down.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hmm weather report says 0 rain in Dunedin at the moment. Go figure
It didn't really rain today but the light was atrocious.

Wasn't a fan of Southee's batting either. No way I'd want him coming in to bat at 8 in a crisis situation when Martin and Wagner are both much role suited to batting properly to support a top order batsman. No harm in his innings today, but chances to come to the wicket in that sort of situation are few and far between for Kiwi # 8s.

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
It didn't really rain today but the light was atrocious.

Wasn't a fan of Southee's batting either. No way I'd want him coming in to bat at 8 in a crisis situation when Martin and Wagner are both much role suited to batting properly to support a top order batsman. No harm in his innings today, but chances to come to the wicket in that sort of situation are few and far between for Kiwi # 8s.
Pinch hitter :p

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
I don't particularly rate Wagner that highly, but I think being put on the back burner and asked to do a bit more to show he's a must pick might be a good thing for Bracewell at this stage. Let Wagner have a run at it, prove himself either way, and Bracewell needs to batter the door down.
You speak sense sir

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
So England may yet get saved by the weather, a better performance today but not saying much and can still improve. Pitch looks flat so if we bat properly we should save the game. Could be the one chance NZ get to force a win as England can't play this badly again surely so they need to take it.
That's what they said in Abu Dhabi/Dubai..

And yes that's 3 questionable efforts in a row from me... just like Abu Dhabi/Dubai..:ph34r:

Last edited:

Howsie

International Captain
So aside from Rutherford who from the New Zealand team has actually played well this test? Fulton? Not a bad effort all things considering then...

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
All right captaincy hats on when will NZ declare:

a) Overnight
b) 250 ahead
c) 275 ahead
d) 300 ahead
e) They will bat until they are bowled out.

I will go with over night because it is the most "aggressive" thing to do.

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
Boldly overnight I hope

Edit: To think, can your post really be real? If you said those numbers 2 days ago it woulda been so wishful or sarcastic it wouldn't have even been funny

Last edited:

Mike5181

International Captain
So aside from Rutherford who from the New Zealand team has actually played well this test? Fulton? Not a bad effort all things considering then...
McCullum as well, I guess. Scored his 44 at more than a run a ball. Wagner/Martin/Boult bowled pretty well, not 167 all out well. But it was a good effort from them. Bit disappointing to see Williamson, Taylor, and Brownlie all get starts and not go on with it though.

Mike5181

International Captain
All right captaincy hats on when will NZ declare:

a) Overnight
b) 250 ahead
c) 275 ahead
d) 300 ahead
e) They will bat until they are bowled out.

I will go with over night because it is the most "aggressive" thing to do.
I'd declare overnight.

otagoman

School Boy/Girl Captain
I think McCullum has earned the right to be aggressive and the declaration will occur once McCullum is out

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Loss to Ireland (odi)
All out 40 odd to WI
The innings and 180 run loss to us in 89
Adelaide 2006, day five
All out 51 v WI 2009
All out 64 v NZ, 1978
All out 81 v SL
All out 107 vs Zimbabwe, 2000 (odi)
All out 125 vs Zimbabwe 1992 (odi)
All out 95 vs Australia, 1st innings Centenary Test, 1977
now this is a post. and you haven't even gone into bowling performances!

Mr_Ronan

Banned
It would be a real shame if NZ are denied an innings win here by the weather. They have dominated England and deserve to register a famous win.

The reality is that England have been ordinary since beating India 4-0 at home. Just like after they won the Ashes in 2005, England got ahead of themselves as pundits and ex-players started comparing them with the greatest teams of all time.

After the trouncing of India, history repeated itself, and once more the team's performance nosedived. They will now have won just 6 of their past 20 Tests since that India series. Whichever way you look at that, it is a very poor record.