Cricket Player Manager
Page 204 of 508 FirstFirst ... 104154194202203204205206214254304 ... LastLast
Results 3,046 to 3,060 of 7611
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: ***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Broad has to play to prove he can bowl multiple spells in a game with his foot problem. If he can't then play Onions or Woakes depending how much batting you want. No problem with resting Finn and Anderson.

As for the batting leave the top 6 as it was in India. Compton doesn't deserve to be dropped, no problem with them swapping him and Root though and opening with Root.

It does seem odd that people have placed Compton as the one who's opening or nothing, given that he bats at 3 for Somerset.

If it were a case of him being unable to force his way into a superior opening pair or being picked on something other than county performances I'd get it, but that's clearly not the case.
    "Your averages, captain, coaches and players can probably survive incompetence over a relatively short series, so if youíre going to be rubbish, make sure itís against Pakistan, Sri Lanka, New Zealand or someone."

International Debutant theegyptian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    It does seem odd that people have placed Compton as the one who's opening or nothing, given that he bats at 3 for Somerset.
    But that is the reality as I see it. He isn't batting 3 because Trott bats there. He isn't batting 6 because he has limited strokeplaying ability and there are better players options there. Opening is his spot in the team.

Compton should stay opening imo. He did OK in India and formed a decent partnership with Cook - he deserves another chance. More importantly Root looked comfortable batting at 6 (and in the middle order in the ODI's) so why move him?

It seems to be a movement by some in the press to get Bairstow into the test team. The problem with that is if they move Root to open now and he fails do you bring Compton back? And Bairstow hasn't done much for months and went home from india early. Does he really deserve the spot more than Compton?

Then again leave Compton in and he fails and you probably bring in Root anyway as opener for the home NZ tests. Personally I can't see Compton having a long career but even to someone like myself who doesn't rate Compton it would seem a very harsh decision.

Maybe they give Compton these three tests and make a conclusive decision based on the results for the summer ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    I'd be tempted with giving Finn & Anderson a break and letting Woakes, Broad and Onions fight it out for the 3rd seamer spot.

EDIT: or what it seems is happening.
    Yeah, I think it's a fair enough decision. I definetly would've rested Anderson, but I guess Finn can be rested too.

All Broad has to prove is that he's fully fit. If Onions bowls his way to a spot then he should come in for Finn.
    Tempted to agree with this. The frustrating thing is for us as fans, is that we can't see the pace and the way they're bowling. From the warm ups in India, I had assumed Bresnan had regained a bit of pace, but it clearly wasn't the case.

If it were a case of him being unable to force his way into a superior opening pair or being picked on something other than county performances I'd get it, but that's clearly not the case.
    It's a weird issue. Compton opened and did reasonably well, meaning the only spot for Root to come in was 6, where he did well. I'd probably leave it as it is, but I wouldn't be angry if they opened with Root. I just hope that Compton bats 5 if that is the case, with Bell at 6.

Actually, while I think about it, does Pietersen have to bat at 4 and not 5? He got promoted because he kept being left with the tail, but I doubt that would happen much with Bell, Prior and a few bowlers who could bat below him.

Quote Originally Posted by theegyptian View Post
    But that is the reality as I see it. He isn't batting 3 because Trott bats there. He isn't batting 6 because he has limited strokeplaying ability and there are better players options there. Opening is his spot in the team.

Compton should stay opening imo. He did OK in India and formed a decent partnership with Cook - he deserves another chance. More importantly Root looked comfortable batting at 6 (and in the middle order in the ODI's) so why move him?

It seems to be a movement by some in the press to get Bairstow into the test team. The problem with that is if they move Root to open now and he fails do you bring Compton back? And Bairstow hasn't done much for months and went home from india early. Does he really deserve the spot more than Compton?

Then again leave Compton in and he fails and you probably bring in Root anyway as opener for the home NZ tests. Personally I can't see Compton having a long career but even to someone like myself who doesn't rate Compton it would seem a very harsh decision.

Maybe they give Compton these three tests and make a conclusive decision based on the results for the summer ahead.
    Yeah I agree with this. Compton may not have been outstanding in India but he certainly showed a good deal of application. This series should be a very good test of skills against the sort of bowling that he should be more accustomed to. This New Zealand attack should prove a decent test for all our batsmen and if Compton does well I would be more than happy to stick with him for the foreseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post

Actually, while I think about it, does Pietersen have to bat at 4 and not 5? He got promoted because he kept being left with the tail, but I doubt that would happen much with Bell, Prior and a few bowlers who could bat below him.
    Would have no objection at all to KP at 5, he can still easily dominate a match from there, just look at Clarke.

I would still stick with Compton as an opener though, Root looks very well suited for number 6 so don't think a change is necessary.

International Debutant theegyptian's Avatar
    Just drop Bell. Simple!

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Tempted to agree with this. The frustrating thing is for us as fans, is that we can't see the pace and the way they're bowling.
    Assuming there is a camera at the ground, the footage will likely be uploaded to the NZC website. Not sure you guys can access it but we can and Kippax might make a short youtube video.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Assuming there is a camera at the ground, the footage will likely be uploaded to the NZC website. Not sure you guys can access it but we can and Kippax might make a short youtube video.
    They can access it. It's a pain in the arse but they can.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by theegyptian View Post
    Just drop Bell. Simple!
    Don't need to drop Bell. The only thing dropping Bell would enable is the chance to play Bairstow. Which isn't exactly something I would be doing....

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Cool, will have a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    They can access it. It's a pain in the arse but they can.
    Are you implying that I need to use a proxy or something to view it?

I'd stick Root in to open and bat Compton in the middle order, personally. It made sense to have them the other way around when Root was just playing as a fill in of sorts for continuity but both should be in the first eleven as it stands and with Root actually being a domestic opener and Compton being a middle order bat, it makes sense to make the swap now I reckon. If Compton doesn't score any runs against NZ then you can start thinking about replacing him with Bairstow, and Root will already have Test opening experience under his belt though so it won't seem like a big shuffle.

Cool, will have a look.

Are you implying that I need to use a proxy or something to view it?
    Nah you don't need a proxy but you do need to do things slightly differently to have Kippax will tell you to do them. I'll explain when the vault gets updated anyway.

No proper 3rd seamer in this NZ XI. Both Neesham and Anderson 4th seamers. I wonder if this will impact Gillespie/Wagner in their shoot out? Not properly replicating their potential roles if selected for tests (joint leader of attack with huge gap to quality of the first change bowlers).

Reminds me a bit of the Mad Professor and Captain Lawnbowls selection of one if the NZ A games v India A when they selected no proper 3rd seamer and justified resting IIRC Wagner and Boult with the explanation of wanting to see how Arnel and McKay would cope leading the attack (with no support - and was never a realistic scenario to want to trial anyway)
    Last edited by Immenso; 26-02-2013 at 02:57 PM.

McCone!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Supercilious Solipsist View Post
    Never go full kippax.
    NZ RAIN RADAR . AGRIBUSINESS MONITORING . KIPPAX CRICKET . DOOR TO THE VAULT

Thread Information