• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Listening to an interview with Wagner after stumps yesterday, it was interesting to hear him give all the credit for the Pietersen wicket to Bond and McCullum. Apparently when Pietersen came in, McCullum asked Wagner if he could bowl an in-swinging yorker to him first ball. Thanks to his work with Bond he knew he could. The rest is history.

On that same vein, I though McCullum's captaincy yesterday was excellent. Great plans, executed perfectly.
Yeah, interesting. And well executed.

And yes, we should give McCullum some credit - some obvious plans worked i.e. the Bell wicket and the Broad wicket.

Brilliant innings from Rutherford - so happy for him. Well done to Fulton too, battled but a very useful fifty.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just on this point about testing players in seaming conditions, and I'm not directing this at you Bee Gee but rather as a general comment. There seems to be some perception that in the 70s, 80s and 90s (to name but three decades) nearly every pitch was a raging green top and the ball hopped sideways all the time. They weren't and it didn't.

Every batsman's test comes in bowler-friendly conditions. Always has and will. Sometimes there's a tendency to assume all those hundreds back then were scored on nigh impossible pitches. It just isn't so. Batsmen have always struggled in bowler friendly conditions. That's just the game

-------------

Congrats to Rutherford and Two Metre Peter. Top partnership.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Some debut that from Rutherford. Kind of anti his father who famously started his career with 12 runs from his first 7 innings

Also, fair play to England in pushing Fulton on the back foot, definitely played a part in the dismissal.

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
Lol... the most sensible thing I've heard Nick Knight say on air. "England giving NZ batsmen plenty of verbals.. Maybe they should have given their own batsmen the verbals"

BeeGee

International Captain
Just on this point about testing players in seaming conditions, and I'm not directing this at you Bee Gee but rather as a general comment. There seems to be some perception that in the 70s, 80s and 90s (to name but three decades) nearly every pitch was a raging green top and the ball hopped sideways all the time. They weren't and it didn't.

Every batsman's test comes in bowler-friendly conditions. Always has and will. Sometimes there's a tendency to assume all those hundreds back then were scored on nigh impossible pitches. It just isn't so. Batsmen have always struggled in bowler friendly conditions. That's just the game

-------------

Congrats to Rutherford and Two Metre Peter. Top partnership.
Yep, I agree.
I've been watching cricket since the 70s, so I can back you up on that point. Although, NZ pitches generally have improved as batting surfaces over the years, due partially to the advent of drop ins for rugby grounds. But that was more to fix the "low and slow" issue rather than them being green tops.

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
Imo NZ "only" need to make about 400 here, to A. make sure there's not enough time to lose the game and B. make it seriously hard for England to save it as well - England would have to bat for nearly 2 days straight (if rain doesn't play poopers again). Even if they themselves were to get 200-250 in front with half a day left you'd fancy NZ to chase em down on this deck. If I were NZ I'd aim to get to about 450 and declare tonight with a nasty 10 or so overs remaining for the England openers.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
If Fulton can get through this series with both his average and his strike rate around 30, I'd be thrilled with that.

Forecast looking a bit better now. Still going to be overcast for the next couple of days, but the rain is meant to stay away.

Jezroy

State Captain
Yeah, don't want to see our batsmen put under pressure due to lots of dot balls.

Ah, boundary from Kane as I type.
Don't think that Kane would be bothered by dot balls in a test match.

Everyone else batting with him though?