Cricket Player Manager
Page 202 of 508 FirstFirst ... 102152192200201202203204212252302 ... LastLast
Results 3,016 to 3,030 of 7611
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: ***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Wright View Post
    So is there an answer to NZs opening dilemma?

Didnt bradman reverse the batting order in one test match? Crazy as it seems could we play 2 bowlers who could bat a bit as openers, then swap a bowler for a mid order batsman?
    "If at first you don't succeed, try and try again" - I'm sure at SOME point in the next 5 years or so we will have someone who can stand up to a reasonable level (hopefully Guptill can bring it around at some point).

And on your second point - I don't think so, Tim. If we end up going down that road, we may as well pick two openers who can average 20 or so, and stick with them. You would think two bowlers who can bat a bit opening would fail spectacularly. Imagine Bracewell and Southee opening against Steyn and Morkel. We'd be 5/2 and have bowlers with broken fingers.
    Last edited by Jezroy; 25-02-2013 at 02:31 AM.

International Captain straw man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wellAlbidarned View Post
    No-one wants to open, it's a thankless task. You face the best bowlers with a new ball at their freshest yet still get held to the same standards as the hacks with good eyes who come in to have a swing at 5 and 6.
    Yes, everyone wants to be a strokemaker and hit million dollar cover drives, slashing cut shots and the occasional reverse upside down sweep for six.

No one wants to be an expert at not hitting the ball, getting hit on the body, playing the leg glance and, unless you're particularly good, setting your technique up so that you won't succeed at limited overs cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Secondly, the state of the pitches made opening disproportionately harder than batting 4-6, which meant it was silly for domestic sides to actually bat their most talented players in the top order. It made a lot more sense on those tracks to protect the guns with more moderately talented players and stack the middle to lower order.
    Exhibit C: lower order + tailend runs scored in the PS this season.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Yet despite that we still have batsmen who do it willingly at the FC level.

I think at that stage they're committed. From there they need to be worked with to ensure their techniques are perfect. The likes of Guptill would sell their children to be good test batsmen, but you wonder how much we can remodel his flaws without spending the rest of his career doing so.

Rutherford, Latham, Raval etc still have time on their hands. We need Martin Crowe, Mark Richardson etc working with them right now. I know Richardson has mentioned a couple of times he's been "speaking with" George Worker during the HRV Cup, but I bet he wasn't talking 20/20.

I also think middle order batsmen who, if we're honest, aren't ever going to be as good as Taylor, Ryder or McCullum move up the order for their provinces if there is room. Fulton and Nicol have already done this and deserve to be commended. It looks like Flynn is doing it now and I reckon someone like Neil Broom could try it too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Yet despite that we still have batsmen who do it willingly at the FC level.

I think at that stage they're committed. From there they need to be worked with to ensure their techniques are perfect. The likes of Guptill would sell their children to be good test batsmen, but you wonder how much we can remodel his flaws without spending the rest of his career doing so.

Rutherford, Latham, Raval etc still have time on their hands. We need Martin Crowe, Mark Richardson etc working with them right now. I know Richardson has mentioned a couple of times he's been "speaking with" George Worker during the HRV Cup, but I bet he wasn't talking 20/20.

I also think middle order batsmen who, if we're honest, aren't ever going to be as good as Taylor, Ryder or McCullum move up the order for their provinces if there is room. Fulton and Nicol have already done this and deserve to be commended. It looks like Flynn is doing it now and I reckon someone like Neil Broom could try it too.
    Good points Flem.

They need an openers boot camp at the start of each season (or when time was available) to work on techniques etc, with the best coaches/former batsman possible surely it wouldn't cost that much?

It looks like Flynn is doing it now and I reckon someone like Neil Broom could try it too.
    I think Broom would be a good option to open at FC. He has done it at 20/20 level this year I think? Maybe he should do it in the Ford Trophy too?

International Captain straw man's Avatar
    also, Nathan McCullum notably absent from test squad

Xavier Doherty now unchallenged in bid for world's worst spinner title

Edit: tests obv
    Last edited by straw man; 25-02-2013 at 03:19 AM.

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Quote Originally Posted by straw man View Post
    also, Nathan McCullum notably absent from test squad

Xavier Doherty now unchallenged in bid for world's worst spinner title
    NMac bowls too many knee high full tosses for my liking. I don't think I ever seen Swann bowl such a delivery.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    NMac bowls too many knee high full tosses for my liking. I don't think I ever seen Swann bowl such a delivery.
    Jono's avatar.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a man’s right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of one’s own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain one’s life and to keep the results of one’s own efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jezroy View Post
    I would have thought we would have been good at producing openers due to the fact that until the last few years, our domestic pitches have been quite hard to bat on (in the main), but I suspect it's (in part at least) due to the fact our domestic bowlers aren't up to much.
    Do Kiwis get much exposure to other First Class competitions these days?
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    Do Kiwis get much exposure to other First Class competitions these days?
    Guptill and Williamson both had stints in 2nd division county cricket last year. Both did very well too. And in Guptill's case, it seemed to genuinely help his batting in test cricket...for a couple of months.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

Rutherford, Latham, Raval etc still have time on their hands. We need Martin Crowe, Mark Richardson etc working with them right now. I know Richardson has mentioned a couple of times he's been "speaking with" George Worker during the HRV Cup, but I bet he wasn't talking 20/20...
    In an ideal world Jeremy Coney could help out too, he just ran through a number of technical issues Rutherford has on Radio Sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    Guptill and Williamson both had stints in 2nd division county cricket last year. Both did very well too. And in Guptill's case, it seemed to genuinely help his batting in test cricket...for a couple of months.
    And Patel. In fact it is Patel's performance last 2 years in county cricket that got him back in blackcaps. Two NZ summers ago he was dropped at one point from the Wellington team by Stuart.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wellAlbidarned View Post
    No-one wants to open, it's a thankless task. You face the best bowlers with a new ball at their freshest yet still get held to the same standards as the hacks with good eyes who come in to have a swing at 5 and 6.
    In the side I play for, the options are opening the batting and facing the opposition's best bowlers, or batting in the middle order and facing the opposition's best bowlers anyway because you're coming in at 10/2. I'd rather take first pick and face up before they get their tails up...

It's also notoriously difficult to get kids to open up in youth sides over here, and even then both of them want to be #2...
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

School Boy/Girl Captain
    A refusal to open cost Vincent his int'l career. And a willingness to, gave Langer a great one.

Thread Information