Cricket Player Manager
Page 201 of 508 FirstFirst ... 101151191199200201202203211251301 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,015 of 7611
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: ***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

  1. #3001
    School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by Jezroy View Post
    I would have thought we would have been good at producing openers due to the fact that until the last few years, our domestic pitches have been quite hard to bat on (in the main), but I suspect it's (in part at least) due to the fact our domestic bowlers aren't up to much.
    Interesting, its been going on for at least 20 years (excluding Richardson) or so it seems to me, youd think NZC would be doing some think about it?

  2. #3002
    State 12th Man Jezroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    770
    Quote Originally Posted by Wright View Post
    Interesting, its been going on for at least 20 years (excluding Richardson) or so it seems to me, youd think NZC would be doing some think about it?
    Yes. You'd think.

  3. #3003
    School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by Jezroy View Post
    Yes. You'd think.
    Do you know if they work with the openers in the off season? Cranking up the bowling machine, working on leaving the ball outside of stump, defensive techniques etc or do they just leave them to there own devices?

    Its a major weakness of the NZ test team and it just continues Ad nauseam.

  4. #3004
    International Coach Hurricane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Posts
    10,310
    Quote Originally Posted by Wright View Post
    Interesting, its been going on for at least 20 years (excluding Richardson) or so it seems to me, youd think NZC would be doing some think about it?
    What do you want them to do?

    We have youth development squads.

    youngsters with talent are identified at 11 years old and put into representative teams with specialist training and training facilities.

    We not only have an FC system but have an FC second XI system as well that plays games.

    We have the Hawke cup for people to play a level down from FC and cut their teeth against good players.

    Most provinces like Wellington also have an under 21 year old team as well to further develop young players.

    I think NZC is making a major effort. Most batsman just don't want to open. It is harder - way harder than coming in at 4 or 5. Most of the best batsman all choose to bat in the middle order for their teams growing up. Where does that Tim Seifert bat? I don't think he is an opener either.

    So I just think there is a dearth of quality youngsters putting up their hands to open.

    ND has Yovich opening which probably says a lot.

    welcome to the site btw
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.


  5. #3005
    International Coach Hurricane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Posts
    10,310
    Quote Originally Posted by Wright View Post
    Do you know if they work with the openers in the off season? Cranking up the bowling machine, working on leaving the ball outside of stump, defensive techniques etc or do they just leave them to there own devices?

    Its a major weakness of the NZ test team and it just continues Ad nauseam.
    ahh - that is what you want them to do. Hopefully someone can answer you.

  6. #3006
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Swimming in the cry water of Antarctica
    Posts
    29,066
    Opening the batting wasn't popular in the tween/early teen age groups when I played school cricket. Only became popular later on in high school.

    One anecdote isn't true for everywhere though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

  7. #3007
    School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    What do you want them to do?

    We have youth development squads.

    youngsters with talent are identified at 11 years old and put into representative teams with specialist training and training facilities.

    We not only have an FC system but have an FC second XI system as well that plays games.

    We have the Hawke cup for people to play a level down from FC and cut their teeth against good players.

    Most provinces like Wellington also have an under 21 year old team as well to further develop young players.

    I think NZC is making a major effort. Most batsman just don't want to open. It is harder - way harder than coming in at 4 or 5. Most of the best batsman all choose to bat in the middle order for their teams growing up. Where does that Tim Seifert bat? I don't think he is an opener either.

    So I just think there is a dearth of quality youngsters putting up their hands to open.

    ND has Yovich opening which probably says a lot.

    welcome to the site btw
    Well I want NZ to have openers who can at least bat time, perhaps they need to change what they are doing because its just not working.

    So there has been a dearth of youngsters for the last 20 years? If Richardson can turn himself into an opener, when he wasn't the most talented player, surely others can do the same?

    Thanks for the welcome.
    Last edited by Wright; 25-02-2013 at 12:17 AM.

  8. #3008
    International Coach Hurricane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Posts
    10,310
    This isn't really answering your question. It is just an observation about opening. I don't really think you can convert middle order players into openers easily. I think it is possible - but I think it takes a couple of seasons to get used to it.

    When I used to open at club level I had many lessons I had learned over the years and I noticed people who I opened with would do the same things as me.
    a) It is ok to face a maiden - don't get stressed if the first four balls are dots.
    b) we were experts at leaving the ball and would have two types of leaves. The extravagant waving of the bat - shouldering arms leave and the withdrawing the bat inside the line of the ball at the last second leave to a pearler.
    c) we set goals - mine were to survive the first 6 overs and then to start playing shots. Others set goals of reaching the ten over mark before they would play an expansive shot.
    d) we knew our limitations and wouldn't try anything fancy.
    e) we would ear mark bowlers to just see off because they were having a good day.

  9. #3009
    International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    away from the palms
    Posts
    6,522
    No-one wants to open, it's a thankless task. You face the best bowlers with a new ball at their freshest yet still get held to the same standards as the hacks with good eyes who come in to have a swing at 5 and 6.
    Exit pursuing a beer

  10. #3010
    International Captain hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    7,295
    Quote Originally Posted by wellAlbidarned View Post
    No-one wants to open, it's a thankless task. You face the best bowlers with a new ball at their freshest yet still get held to the same standards as the hacks with good eyes who come in to have a swing at 5 and 6.
    This.

    Anecdotally, the best batsmen get to choose where they bat. If you have the choice of facing the best bowlers and a new ball or come in against the older ball and average 10 more...well, the choice is easy. The rest of the batsmen have to find a niche, and the less talented end up in the opening position.

    When there's more competition for places, better batsmen will be forced to try out opening to get a spot in the team.

  11. #3011
    School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    53
    Interesting thoughts Hurricane.

    wellAlbidarned, If you could make a living out of it, wouldnt it be worth a try? Say youre a decent 20 year old middle order player, its a log jam to get into the middle order of NZ cricket, wouldnt it be worth a try to turn yourself into a solid opener and earn a decent living if you were successful by doing it.

  12. #3012
    State 12th Man Jezroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    770
    Quote Originally Posted by wellAlbidarned View Post
    No-one wants to open, it's a thankless task. You face the best bowlers with a new ball at their freshest yet still get held to the same standards as the hacks with good eyes who come in to have a swing at 5 and 6.
    Presenting Exhibit A - BJ Watling. Same guy, struggles to open, but looks like he's "turned a corner" batting down the order.

    McCullum has the same idea.

  13. #3013
    State 12th Man Jezroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    770
    Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    This.

    Anecdotally, the best batsmen get to choose where they bat. If you have the choice of facing the best bowlers and a new ball or come in against the older ball and average 10 more...well, the choice is easy. The rest of the batsmen have to find a niche, and the less talented end up in the opening position.

    When there's more competition for places, better batsmen will be forced to try out opening to get a spot in the team.
    Exhibit B - Peter Fulton, Daniel Flynn, Mark Richardson, James Marshall, Rob Nicol, even Aaron Redmond, and I think Guptill would do much better as a number 5, but there is no room for him there.

    Some people already talking about Jesse opening in tests so he can get back in the team.

    No.

  14. #3014
    School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by Jezroy View Post
    Exhibit B - Peter Fulton, Daniel Flynn, Mark Richardson, James Marshall, Rob Nicol, even Aaron Redmond, and I think Guptill would do much better as a number 5, but there is no room for him there.

    Some people already talking about Jesse opening in tests so he can get back in the team.

    No.
    So is there an answer to NZs opening dilemma?

    Didnt bradman reverse the batting order in one test match? Crazy as it seems could we play 2 bowlers who could bat a bit as openers, then swap a bowler for a mid order batsman?

  15. #3015
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    44,041
    Quote Originally Posted by Jezroy View Post
    I would have thought we would have been good at producing openers due to the fact that until the last few years, our domestic pitches have been quite hard to bat on (in the main)
    It doesn't really work like that though, for two reasons.

    Firstly, equal difficulty doesn't automatically mean the right specialist skills are developed. Facing a good domestic seamer on a green top may be as hard or even harder overall than facing a moderate Test opening bowler on a flat wicket, but they require two very different skillsets. Successful domestic openers were developing skills essentially irrelevant in Test cricket and lacking skills that were crucial for success there. It's for this reason that the best way to prepare domestic players for Test cricket is always to mirror Test conditions as much as possible; not to try and mirror the difficulty level.

    Secondly, the state of the pitches made opening disproportionately harder than batting 4-6, which meant it was silly for domestic sides to actually bat their most talented players in the top order. It made a lot more sense on those tracks to protect the guns with more moderately talented players and stack the middle to lower order.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 25-02-2013 at 12:57 AM.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

    Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.




Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2013 Predictions
    By theegyptian in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 31-12-2013, 11:09 AM
  2. Ashes Cricket 2013 Announced
    By James in forum General
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 28-03-2013, 06:53 PM
  3. The 2013 Ashes - which players will keep their place?
    By Howe_zat in forum Ashes 2013/2014
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-01-2011, 05:40 AM
  4. IPL Contracts 2011 - 2013 for the "stars"
    By social in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 26-04-2010, 08:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •