Page 200 of 508 FirstFirst ... 100150190198199200201202210250300 ... LastLast
Results 2,986 to 3,000 of 7611
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: ***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

  1. #2986
    State Captain theegyptian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,978
    By my calculation England to win the next 8 test series (NZ,NZ, AUS,AUS, SL(h), IND(h), WI(a), NZ(h)) before losing the next three( Aus(h), Pak(a), SA(a))

  2. #2987
    International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mrs Miggins pie shop
    Posts
    11,611
    Quote Originally Posted by theegyptian View Post
    By my calculation England to win the next 8 test series (NZ,NZ, AUS,AUS, SL(h), IND(h), WI(a), NZ(h)) before losing the next three( Aus(h), Pak(a), SA(a))
    Win next 9 more like.

  3. #2988
    State Captain theegyptian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,978
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Win next 9 more like.
    hopefully


    But by 2015 I feel English players will be past their peak and Aus bowlers presumably super strong.

    I think the next two ashes will probably be too soon for australia especially with most of the english players near their peak and aus coming off a tough year.

    But it's quite a nice run England have over the next couple of years with no tours in Asia and playing Australia now whilst they're still rebuilding. WI may or may not be a tough away series.

  4. #2989
    State Captain theegyptian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,978
    Obviously looking forward to New Zealand beating us 2-1 now.


  5. #2990
    International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mrs Miggins pie shop
    Posts
    11,611
    To be honest i hadn't bothered to look further ahead than the ashes double header. Difficult to know who will come in for us, after all 6 months ago not many thought much of Root and he looks a class player now already after just a few games. Obviously got a long way to go but the key will be finding a replacement for Anderson in time as Monty will still be good enough to take over from Swann.

    Anyway that way ahead, for now we have to beat NZ. We should do and I expect us to but taking nothing for granted after UAE.

  6. #2991
    International Captain hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    6,575
    I'm an eternally optimistic NZ fan but even I think we have next to no chance in this series. England have more accomplished bowlers, by far better batsmen, and they're even fielding better now too.

    If the scoreline is 2-1 England I will consider that a massive accomplishment.

  7. #2992
    International Captain straw man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    l
    Posts
    6,215
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    One of them is going to score a debut hundred followed by ten innings of single digits. Calling it now.
    A debut hundred is massively optimistic. After two tests I predict both our openers will average 12-15 and the highest score between them will be 35 (scored in a second innings when the match is already all but lost).

    Obviously I hope they'll do better than that, but I think we got a pretty good taste of what the English new ball bowlers will do to our top order in the ODI series. We'll be reliant on Williamson playing and missing rather than edging for 10 overs to get a start, and then Taylor and McCullum scoring 80+ each to get us any sort of competitive score.

  8. #2993
    School Boy/Girl Captain Binkley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    By the seaside
    Posts
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by straw man View Post
    A debut hundred is massively optimistic. After two tests I predict both our openers will average 12-15 and the highest score between them will be 35 (scored in a second innings when the match is already all but lost).

    Obviously I hope they'll do better than that, but I think we got a pretty good taste of what the English new ball bowlers will do to our top order in the ODI series. We'll be reliant on Williamson playing and missing rather than edging for 10 overs to get a start, and then Taylor and McCullum scoring 80+ each to get us any sort of competitive score.
    I agree with this prediction. It is hard to see the test series ending in anything other than a comprehensive thrashing really. I truly hope I am wrong, but the best I anticipate is a good innings or two from Taylor, and maybe one good session from Southee, Boult and Bracewell.

  9. #2994
    Cricketer Of The Year Bahnz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Posts
    7,722
    New Zealand should get flattened. Still, I'm hoping (though not expecting) that Southee and co. will help us pinch one of the upcoming 5 tests. It was good to see him getting back into some form on saturday night.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

  10. #2995
    Hall of Fame Member _Ed_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Auckland, Aotearoa
    Posts
    19,857
    Hesson's not the best with media, is he?

    http://tvnz.co.nz/cricket-news/confu...aptain-5351790

    Hesson: "We didn't designate a deputy in any form of the game in South Africa. We had a leadership group, we had a number of guys that could have taken over and we'll continue to do that."

    Reporter: I thought Brendon McCullum said that Williamson would take over if he left the field in Cape Town?

    Hesson: "No, not that I'm aware of."

    Reporter: He [McCullum] did say that.

    Hesson: "OK. We've got a leadership group of three and we haven't formed that leadership group for this series and one of those three will be the one that will take over."

    Reporter: Who are they?

    Hesson: "As I said we haven't formed it yet because we haven't met in Dunedin."

  11. #2996
    International Captain hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    6,575
    he's just so defensive it's awful to listen to

  12. #2997
    State 12th Man Jezroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    770
    Quote Originally Posted by Binkley View Post
    I agree with this prediction. It is hard to see the test series ending in anything other than a comprehensive thrashing really. I truly hope I am wrong, but the best I anticipate is a good innings or two from Taylor, and maybe one good session from Southee, Boult and Bracewell.
    Yep - definitely agree that it'll be a "take what we can get" type scenario.

    Not much hope for the openers sadly. Love to be proven wrong, but England have appeared to have worked out Rutherford already, and Fulton is already older than Mark Richardson (far and away our best recent test opener) was when he retired, so surely you'd have to wonder if his was on the downhill slope. He'll probably be excellent and then need to retire due to a knee injury... And is Latham an opener? Good luck pal (mind you, Hunter wasn't either, and he did okay).

    Kane - So hard to know what to expect. Sometimes looks like a little champ, sometimes looks as bad as Dougeh with the bat. Sums up our team kind of.

    Ross/Brendon - You have to think a lot of our runs are going to have to come from these guys. McCullum looks in very very good form now he's not facing the new ball, and there are some encouraging signs for Ross (not to mention he's class)

    Brownlie - Still feel that he's a bit hit and miss. Will be interesting to see how he goes against Swann with his perceived spin weaknesses.

    BJ - Please don't make him open. He appears to be a much better bet in the middle order, both in tests and ODI's. Even though Ronchi is hammering down the door (albeit with a bung leg at the minute), Watling hasn't done much wrong in the position they wanted him to give a good go.

    Dougeh/Timeh/KD Lang - Hopeful that they can keep up the good work of SL (in the main). Can Bracewell find his mojo (which you'd hope would also have a positive effect on his batting?). If they need a 4th seamer, would rather Gillespie than Wagner. Wagner just looks so meh when he bowls, and then has this attitude like he is Muhammed Ali. Gillespie has had his good moments, and if Siddons summation of him is anything to go by, he's not far off where he was last year. Hopefully they can all rub off on eachother. Literally.

    Bartin - Never thought I would want Vettori to bowl in the test team again, but gosh I miss his boring left arm non spinners. Let's see if Bruce really has wasted his last 12 years playing NZ first class cricket, but I'd find it hard to believe he'll do much more than Jeets/Tastle/Brooke Walker/Wisemen etc etc. Vettori is our spinning equivalent to Mark Richardson. The other spinners are our How/Redmond/Cumming etc etc etc. Neither are really a strong suit for NZ unfortunately.

    Much strength in our middle order/seam bowling. The other areas seem a little sad. Like my brown grass.
    Last edited by Jezroy; 24-02-2013 at 09:25 PM.

  13. #2998
    Hall of Fame Member _Ed_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Auckland, Aotearoa
    Posts
    19,857
    Quote Originally Posted by Jezroy View Post
    KD Lang

  14. #2999
    School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by Jezroy View Post
    Yep - definitely agree that it'll be a "take what we can get" type scenario.

    Not much hope for the openers sadly. Love to be proven wrong, but England have appeared to have worked out Rutherford already, and Fulton is already older than Mark Richardson (far and away our best recent test opener) was when he retired, so surely you'd have to wonder if his was on the downhill slope. He'll probably be excellent and then need to retire due to a knee injury... And is Latham an opener? Good luck pal (mind you, Hunter wasn't either, and he did okay).

    Kane - So hard to know what to expect. Sometimes looks like a little champ, sometimes looks as bad as Dougeh with the bat. Sums up our team kind of.

    Ross/Brendon - You have to think a lot of our runs are going to have to come from these guys. McCullum looks in very very good form now he's not facing the new ball, and there are some encouraging signs for Ross (not to mention he's class)

    Brownlie - Still feel that he's a bit hit and miss. Will be interesting to see how he goes against Swann with his perceived spin weaknesses.

    BJ - Please don't make him open. He appears to be a much better bet in the middle order, both in tests and ODI's. Even though Ronchi is hammering down the door (albeit with a bung leg at the minute), Watling hasn't done much wrong in the position they wanted him to give a good go.

    Dougeh/Timeh/KD Lang - Hopeful that they can keep up the good work of SL (in the main). Can Bracewell find his mojo (which you'd hope would also have a positive effect on his batting?). If they need a 4th seamer, would rather Gillespie than Wagner. Wagner just looks so meh when he bowls, and then has this attitude like he is Muhammed Ali. Gillespie has had his good moments, and if Siddons summation of him is anything to go by, he's not far off where he was last year. Hopefully they can all rub off on eachother. Literally.

    Bartin - Never thought I would want Vettori to bowl in the test team again, but gosh I miss his boring left arm non spinners. Let's see if Bruce really has wasted his last 12 years playing NZ first class cricket, but I'd find it hard to believe he'll do much more than Jeets/Tastle/Brooke Walker/Wisemen etc etc. Vettori is our spinning equivalent to Mark Richardson. The other spinners are our How/Redmond/Cumming etc etc etc. Neither are really a strong suit for NZ unfortunately.

    Much strength in our middle order/seam bowling. The other areas seem a little sad. Like my brown grass.


    Nice summary, why has New Zealand been so poor at producing opening batters?

  15. #3000
    State 12th Man Jezroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    770
    Quote Originally Posted by Wright View Post
    Nice summary, why has New Zealand been so poor at producing opening batters?
    I would have thought we would have been good at producing openers due to the fact that until the last few years, our domestic pitches have been quite hard to bat on (in the main), but I suspect it's (in part at least) due to the fact our domestic bowlers aren't up to much.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2013 Predictions
    By theegyptian in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 31-12-2013, 10:09 AM
  2. Ashes Cricket 2013 Announced
    By James in forum General
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 28-03-2013, 05:53 PM
  3. The 2013 Ashes - which players will keep their place?
    By Howe_zat in forum Ashes 2013/2014
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-01-2011, 04:40 AM
  4. IPL Contracts 2011 - 2013 for the "stars"
    By social in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 26-04-2010, 07:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •