• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

Days of Grace

International Captain
If everyone was like, "Meh, test series against England, who gives a ****?", then we would have started on time.

Amount of rain directly corresponds to how much people in NZ are looking forward to the match, IMO.

And, yeah, weather will be perfect for batting tomorrow. Yet more evidence that the cricket gods hate New Zealand.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Swann out of the series apparently, needs surgery. A worry for sure but could be a good thing if he gets it sorted for the summer.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah that 0.5mm of rain in February was a real bitch of a thing.
Knew someone would come out and defend Dunedin's weather ;). A period of sunshine notwithstanding, I still think 'drizzly squally bull****' are three of the best possible words to describe its weather, just like lovely Invercargill where I lived for a few years.

Wish we could schedule more matches in the Queenstown or Wanaka or the central South Island in general - sure the weather there is still sometimes terrible but it's also more stable and predictable and with a lesser tendency towards interminable drizzle.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Isn't there some stat about how Dunedin gets no more rain than the rest of the country? A fair bit of confirmation bias at play here re dunedin's weather imo

Blain

U19 Captain
F*cking stupid scheduling. They play the one day stuff during the best part of summer, where they need 2 nice days a week (and can play under lights), and play the games which needs 5 good days of weather in a row over the very end of Summer. And it's in Dunedin (most southern Test ground in the world I assume?). Knowing how cricket works, when it comes to Wellington it will probably ran 4 days in a row after 2 rainy days in the lasy month.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Isn't there some stat about how Dunedin gets no more rain than the rest of the country? A fair bit of confirmation bias at play here re dunedin's weather imo
Confirmation bias - nah, no wayz

Pic from Niwa

straw man plan - wish we could play cricket in the orange/maroon areas

Dunedin also spreads its rainfall over as many hours as possible as opposed to more stable non-coastal parts of NZ /madeuptruthystats :ph34r:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Interestingly, map shows why it's a wise move to schedule non-summer cricket in Lincoln - one tick for NZC there.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, I remember I think during the Windies test in 2008 when Polo23 wouldn't shut up about how playing in Dunedin was stupid and that more tests should be played in Auckland because it had been sunny there for the last two days in a row.

Dunedin's had a lot of bad luck with weather since it became a test venue, but really that's all it is. The city has lower annual rainfall than most other cities in New Zealand. The issue is accentuated by the fact that the ground has relatively poor drainage too, though I hear it's been improved in the last couple of years.