• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I was getting quite worried at how close Ryan McCone was to getting to a test call up.

Where the **** did that depth go.

Not that I'm wanting to hate on young domestic bowlers, but I don't see Test potential in McCone, and while good on him for an excellent domestic season, it was a worry with bowlers dropping like flies that he might end up holding the cherry.
Quite an organised guy McCone, already a law graduate I think. Probably destined to be that heady South Island player who gets further in the game than we thought, a bit like how Phlegm often feels surprised to the upside by Ellis.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
I am surprised there is an upside to Ellis. Not an int'l cricketer!

Well, he is, but he shouldn't be. Not even for us.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Scyld Berry writes off NZ and gets this angry riposte in the comments (I wonder if GSaker is on cricketwebforum?). I've broken the text into paragraphs to make it more readable:

New Zealand v England: hosts unlikely to win a Test as T20 now priority - Telegraph
Honestly, as far as English press goes I didn't find that article terrible. It's certainly no Stephen Jones article and he does point out some things that we are also critical of NZC for - failure to interest the public, not scheduling enough tests, etc etc

The omissions are probably the only bad part - failing to mention Southee and Boult as our strength is a bit poor.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Honestly, as far as English press goes I didn't find that article terrible. It's certainly no Stephen Jones article and he does point out some things that we are also critical of NZC for - failure to interest the public, not scheduling enough tests, etc etc

The omissions are probably the only bad part - failing to mention Southee and Boult as our strength is a bit poor.
To be fair, Southee and Boult have only done well in a few very low profile tests and both of their career records still look very average.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
The few write ups I have read, including the Sunday Times yesterday, mention the threat of our seam bowling. In the sense it shouldn't be underestimated anyway.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
To be fair, Southee and Boult have only done well in a few very low profile tests and both of their career records still look very average.
Yeah but that's why it's so classically ignorant and biased to just assume they're crap. Clearly written by someone who didn't watch the games in question IMO.

Flem274*

123/5
Why do we care about what scyld berry writes again? might as well react to the comments of a northern englishman on here. at least his name isn't stupid. who calls a kid scyld?

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah but that's why it's so classically ignorant and biased to just assume they're crap. Clearly written by someone who didn't watch the games in question IMO.
He didn't say they were crap, he said middle-order batting and fast-medium bowling were relative strengths. Which is patronising, although it's not like Southee has become so first-rate he's getting a wicket a spell with the older ball in hand. Couldn't contain Wellington to a run-rate under 4.5 during those old ball spells either. :cool:

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why do we care about what scyld berry writes again? might as well react to the comments of a northern englishman on here. at least his name isn't stupid. who calls a kid scyld?
The same bloke who said last week drop Bell for Bairstow. Seems nobody should be listening to Mr Berry of late.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Anyone think that Butler's late callup is a possible indication that New Zealand are leaning towards going into the 1st test with 4 seamers?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Anyone think that Butler's late callup is a possible indication that New Zealand are leaning towards going into the 1st test with 4 seamers?
that was my initial thought. He's not adequate cover for opening bowler options, only first or second change.

If they were covering all the bowlers they might've picked Mills or someone who swings the ball.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Quite an organised guy McCone, already a law graduate I think. Probably destined to be that heady South Island player who gets further in the game than we thought, a bit like how Phlegm often feels surprised to the upside by Ellis.
yes, with Honours. Some other law graduate bowlers I can think of include Martin Sneddon, Andrew Penn & Stuart Clark.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Surely Hesson and McCullum know Wagner well enough to figure he's never looked remotely like a support act third seamer for anyone. Would make a bit of a nonsense of Watling staying low in the order and McCullum shuffling down if they then shoehorned Wagner into a completely unsuitable and unfamiliar role.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Surely Hesson and McCullum know Wagner well enough to figure he's never looked remotely like a support act third seamer for anyone. Would make a bit of a nonsense of Watling staying low in the order and McCullum shuffling down if they then shoehorned Wagner into a completely unsuitable and unfamiliar role.
lol.

Wagner is quite likely to play.

I wish they'd picked 3rd and 4th seamers for the NZ 11 game rather than Anderson and Neesham who were never a chance to get picked. Would've been nice to give Butler a go, and if Adam Milne is fit...

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
lol.

Would've been nice to give Butler a go, and if Adam Milne is fit...
Milne didn't look fully fit just before the start of the NZXI game. He was sending down medium pace lollypops for CD at the time.

He looks closer to full fitness now, but honestly he's unlikely to stay that way for long.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Strong cold southerlies, and they'll ask Wagner to get a foam up and do his best. Butler in his long sleeves getting a test tomorrow, I can see it.

Binkley

U19 Captain
Just heard that Bracewell has been ruled out of the first test, but will be fit for the second. Wagner in.