• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
The fact that the selectors are even considering picking Wagner over Gillespie is ridiculous. Yeah, Gillespie can bowl tripe at times, but he has a proven record of taking wickets against strong batting lineups and is, by all accounts, close to being back to full fitness and form. He's also a much more natural fit for the 3rd/4th seamers role. He doesn't rely hugely on swing and instead looks to bowl slightly shorter and attempt to hurry batsmen up. Even if he does badly in this game he simply must still be selected ahead of Wagner.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
The fact that the selectors are even considering picking Wagner over Gillespie is ridiculous. Yeah, Gillespie can bowl tripe at times, but he has a proven record of taking wickets against strong batting lineups and is, by all accounts, close to being back to full fitness and form. He's also a much more natural fit for the 3rd/4th seamers role. He doesn't rely hugely on swing and instead looks to bowl slightly shorter and attempt to hurry batsmen up. Even if he does badly in this game he simply must still be selected ahead of Wagner.
Agree with all this. I want Gillespie as 4th bowler, but I would prefer Bruce Martin as 4th bowler if Wagner makes the squad.

Just don't think Wagner is good enough (yet, maybe). My guess/theory - I reckon he bowls at the limit of his physical capability. Hence quick but scrambled seam in early spell, 125kph in later spells.
This has been good enough so far at FC level, but something he needs to improve if he wants to succeed at test level.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Cricinfo have gone from updates on a near ball by ball basis, to just the scorecard, to "scorecard not available yet".

WAC.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
All the adverts on the commentary do your head in but can't complain too much as it great to hear it. Thanks for the link Kippax.

Compton out.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Haha nah, every Wellington player at any given time is "booming it" for Siddons. Fair to say Gillespie was easing like a 40 y.o. into his last FC match -

Gillespie, "booming" through the crease - YouTube
Heh, that is exactly what I was moaning about saying Gillespie was bowling at 70% effort. Where is the fast run-up, the bounce through the crease, the FOLLOW THROUGH?!

If we really try hard then could give him the benefit of the doubt and say he was conserving himself and trying to avoid injury. But he had better be putting in a lot more effort than that in the current warmup if he wants to be selected.