• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

Flem274*

123/5
Do you think CD will put up with this much longer? Having Milne, Wheeler, and Small constantly in/out of your squad isn't exactly ideal.
That might be why we took in Andrew Lamb tbh. Maybe they see him as someone who provides consistent okayness and will be fit to play more often than not.

Even he is injured now though.:dry:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Arghhhh, Watling isn't an opening batsmen ffs. He's terrible, always has been and always will be. I mean do you think it was a coincidence that when he filled in for Flynn during the Windies tour that he went back to looking like an absolute muppet, feet going nowhere and bat a mile away from the body. Leave him where he is, he's been one of New Zealand's best cricketers since taking up the gloves, why would you attempt to change him back into a below average opening batsmen again? Especially after we just went through the mess that was Hopkins, Young and Van Wyk.

You want to turn someone into a test match opener, go back to Flynn, at least he has the game for it.
Agreed, let's not mess around with Watling anymore. I suppose I'd be okay with Flynn opening, at least it gives us the left/right combo at the top. A mate of mine close to the Otago set-up always raves about Rutherford, but I must admit to not seeing much of him myself and in the clip Kippax posted, he still looks a tad loose for mine.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
^ Also, if people think Williamson was a bit too loose for 3, batting Jesse there worries me even more so.
Awta v much. iirc we tried this a few times and Ryder kept getting pegged on the back leg in front of the stumps. That was the early calm accumulator Ryder too, not the slogathon Ryder we will probably get if he returns.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Everyone should spend 30 mins watching Rutherford in FC before the call for him tbh. Just such a cast, crude, far from test standard player. Not preferring the output of Watling/Ronchi over Rutherford/Watling will be a surefire taste one day.

BEWARE THE INJURED BATSMAN - Hamish Rutherford double hundred.wmv - YouTube

Hamish Rutherford, 99 vs. India A - YouTube
Don't see that Rutherford looks that bad. Some crude left-handed bludgeoning is probably just what we need at the top of the order anyway. Not much foot movement but defends straight. I guess he plays with fairly hard hands but overall I don't really get what's so ugly about his batting.

Still needs to score more domestic runs obv.

Zinzan

Don't see that Rutherford looks that bad. Some crude left-handed bludgeoning is probably just what we need at the top of the order anyway. Not much foot movement but defends straight. I guess he plays with fairly hard hands but overall I don't really get what's so ugly about his batting.

Still needs to score more domestic runs obv.
He's not too far off, but from what I saw in those clips he definitely needs to tighten his defense and improve his judgement outside off-stump.

A weeks workshop with Mark Richardson would be a perfect tonic for him imo.

Zinzan

I would stick with McCullum and Guptill. Guptill should read David Trist's comments about standing too upright and going hard at the ball.
Trist may sound a bit goofy at times but is generally on the money when it comes to technique.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lol @ everyone reactions to Scaly comments about Ronchi being in the Test side. Clearly it's just his latest hobby-horse to insinuate that just because an Australian FC player has moved to NZ, he must be an automatic selection, in spite of the fact he wouldn't have seen him play here. The reality is there is no place in the test side for Ronchi atm, even if our batting depth is paper-thin ( and nobody is disputing that). Unless people are suggesting he's a better option than Watling, I can't see where he would fit in.

Anyways, I've thought about it and while the following might appear a bit radical, this is the side I think would give us the best chance to compete against England.

1)Rutherford (we need a left hander and Guptill & Flynn need a rest)
2) McCullum ( yes opening, we have enough strength in the middle & its about the team)
3)Brownlie/Watling
4)Taylor
5)Ryder
6)Watling/Brownlie
7) Vettori
8) Southee
9) Gillespie
10) Boult
11) McClenaghan

12th man Bracewell/Milne

I know it's a big call to leave Bracewell out, but he really hasn't produced much since Hobart and Gillespie if fit is a genuine wicket-taker. It does lengthen our tail somewhat, but then again when was the last time Bracewell scored test runs?

McClenaghan has shown enough in the short-form to suggest he's worth trying. A solid lad who hits the wicket hard and gets swing and seam.

I genuinely believe that bowling attack is our best chance of taking 20 wickets. Vettori to restrict at one end and all out attack from attacking seamers at the other.

Milne is the other consideration, but happy to settle for the above for now.
Because there aren't videos on YouTube or anything, such as his two centuries in dire situations against the strongest attack in the NZ domestic circuit which if it had been a Kiwi would have been foamed over for 100 pages of CW.

Agree with Bracewell being a bit rubbish lately. Also averages about 10 with the bat from memory - which is worse than a lot of no. 11s. Don't think it merits being dropped yet though, unless someone is smashing the door down.

Mixmasterreece

U19 Debutant
Cricket: Taylor named to face England

Former Black Caps skipper Ross Taylor has been named in the New Zealand XI squad to face England in two Twenty20 warmup games in Whangarei next month.

The two teams will meet in two matches on February 4 and February 6 at Cobham Oval ahead of the three match ANZ Twenty20 series between England and the Black Caps.

Taylor hasn't played any cricket since leading the Black Caps to a test victory against Sri Lanka in November. He decided to take a break from the game when Brendon McCullum was named as his replacement as captain across all forms for New Zealand.

He returns to action for Central Districts in the Plunket Shield against Canterbury at Napier's McLean Park starting tomorrow.

Former Australian wicketkeeper Luke Ronchi has also been named in the side. Ronchi, who played four ODIs and three T20s for Australia, became eligible to play for the country of his birth earlier this month.

"Obviously it's great to have Ross back in the mix and really we're excited about seeing him play again. He's a proven world-class batsman and this will provide him with a great chance to get some cricket under his belt following his break," National Selection Manager Kim Littlejohn said.

"It's a very strong New Zealand XI and we expect them to be competitive opponents. Nearly all of the team have previous experience on the international stage, while the likes of Nick Beard, Matt Henry, Anton Devcich and Hamish Rutherford get their first chance after showing considerable promise on the domestic scene.

"We're pleased to have Luke Ronchi available as well and after a great HRV Cup we look forward to watching him continue to make an impact."

"We're confident all of the players in the squad will relish the chance to play against England, with the matches a great opportunity for them to push for higher honours."

NZ XI squad:
Andrew Ellis (C): Canterbury Wizards
Anton Devcich: Northern Knights
Colin Munro: Auckland Aces
Hamish Rutherford: Otago Volts
Ian Butler: Otago Volts
Jimmy Neesham: Otago Volts
Luke Ronchi: Wellington Firebirds
Matthew Henry: Canterbury Wizards
Michael Bates: Auckland Aces
Neil Broom: Otago Volts
Neil Wagner: Otago Volts
Nick Beard: Otago Volts
Ross Taylor: Central Stags
Tom Latham: Canterbury Wizards
Cricket: Taylor named to face England - Sport - NZ Herald News

Blain

U19 Captain
Rutherford
Broom
Taylor
Latham
Munro
Ronchi
Ellis
Neesham
Butler
Beard
Wagner/Bates

Not too bad, seem bowling is a bit weak. Henry is bairly back for Canterbury yet, shows they like his talent which is good. But shouldnt play really. No Woodcock... Yusss

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
What's wrong with Devcich?

I know nothing about him and have never seen him play, but if you lot don't rate him then I have a soft spot for him already.
It's pretty rare for us three to all hate the same cricketer. It should tell you something.