• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Because UDRS just doesn't make ****ing sense. We use hotspot as the UDRS method to check edges, we see no edge and we still can't overturn it.

Why use hotspot at all if we aren't trusting it to detect edges?
There was some hotspot, on the edge of the bat. Sorry why are you swearing at me, this is all very odd.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Meanwhile, NZ doing a great job of "gritting it out" here.

As long as they bat their full 50 overs, they are giving themselves a chance.

[/smitheh]

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If Taylor thought he didn't hit it, then how come he took about 10 seconds and a conversation with McCullum before reviewing it?
Eggactly & as I said, had he reviewed immediately, I think it might have played into the 3rd Umps mind.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Exactly. We couldn't tell precisely what the noise was, but we also couldn't tell that it obviously wasn't the bat. The umpire, however, thought that it was, and that's still the most important factor.
yeah, this.

Okay, so if that's the precedence, I've got no major issue provided the ICC categorically say so. To be consistent, they need to make it official that hot-spot evidence is not enough to override an umpires out decision.
No, that doesn't make sense at all.

Hotspot showing a spot is conclusive evidence that the ball has hit the bat.

However, hotspot not showing a spot is not conclusive evidence that the ball hasn't hit the bat.

SilentOne

U19 12th Man
There was some hotspot, on the edge of the bat. Sorry why are you swearing at me, this is all very odd.
That white mark or hotspot was from him striking the bat when taking guard and last time I checked a cricket ball is round. An edge would leave a smaller mark than what was shown on hotspot.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I'm not swearing at you, I'm swearing at the situation and the decision. I think you'll find nothing has been directed at you, nowhere have I personally insulted you I have instead shown frustration with the situation that we are discussing.

Wickets should never be given when there is that much doubt and lack of proof that the batsman is out.

grecian

Eggactly & as I said, had he reviewed immediately, I think it might have played into the 3rd Umps mind.

Yeah, I mean by what Athlai says it would have been immediate, but it wasn't, he knew he was out, he was out, no proof he wasn't out, can we move on without swearing at each other ****s.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not swearing at you, I'm swearing at the situation and the decision. I think you'll find nothing has been directed at you, nowhere have I personally insulted you I have instead shown frustration with the situation that we are discussing.

Wickets should never be given when there is that much doubt and lack of proof that the batsman is out.
You're missing the whole point of the DRS.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Nah, Taylor didn't call for immediately, but he did immediately act befuzzled.

It's hardly damning evidence that he knew he hit it.

His captain was at the other end, he went down to make sure.

In fact, Taylor's behaviour made it pretty obvious that he believed he didn't hit it, not the other way around.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
yeah, this.

No, that doesn't make sense at all.

Hotspot showing a spot is conclusive evidence that the ball has hit the bat.

However, hotspot not showing a spot is not conclusive evidence that the ball hasn't hit the bat.
I'm not saying I agree with it, I'm just saying based on the message they just conveyed to the commentators, that must be the precedence.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
that's not the system we have in place though (IMO, for good reason). It's a situation in which had it originally been given "not-out", the decision would have been upheld.

Better to err on the side of the umpire than leave it up to the third umpire to make a controversial decision.

Athlai

Not Terrible
But in this instance, the benefit of the doubt goes to the umpire, not to the batsman.
So when the 3rd umpire whispers back in his air that "We got nothing to show he hit that, but there is still that noise and we don't know where it came from." we get stupid situations like this.

The benefit of the doubt for the umpire and not the batsman is something that has always ground my gears.

grecian

If you think the decision was wrong fair enough, but honestly once the decision was given there is no reason to change it.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
But in this instance, the benefit of the doubt goes to the umpire, not to the batsman.
Which is very strange.

LBW's - yeah sure, I'd give them that.

Catches? Nope.

Sorry, there is no evidence either way, benefit of the doubt goes to MEEEEEEEEE!

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
that's not the system we have in place though (IMO, for good reason). It's a situation in which had it originally been given "not-out", the decision would have been upheld.

Better to err on the side of the umpire than leave it up to the third umpire to make a controversial decision.
Yeah, this. People can slag off the DRS, but at least most of the mistakes people think it makes, is when it fails to overturn something, meaning that if the DRS wasn't there, the same decision would be made.