• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

Athlai

Not Terrible
The only issue is the lack of reverse swing.
Yeah it'll make death bowling harder and the first 20 overs easier for bowlers.

Pretty curious to see what the figures will eventually look like in this form of the game for how the first half of the game vs. the second half compares to even what it was a year or two ago.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
So here's an interesting question; who would partner Anderson and Swann in the bowling line up for the first test? Broad and Finn would probably be the obvious paring, but as grecian said, Broad isn't looking great. I'd still pick him in an ideal XI, but for this tour I'd be really keen to try and get Woakes in and give him a shot. He's probably the least deserving of all the bowlers in the squad to get a game, but I really think this tour could be a chance to see whether he's good enough for test cricket at the moment, and of course if his batting is a success, it could open up the possibility of five bowlers, which could be handy if we want to play two spinners in the Ashes. Onions probably should be ahead of him in the pecking order, but I'd like to try him out.
Broad and Finn; no question IMO. If Broad sends down pies in the first Test (again) then it's time to start thinking about replacing him with Onions. I think if Woakes is going to play Test cricket he's going to have to bat in the top seven to get there.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah it'll make death bowling harder and the first 20 overs easier for bowlers.
On a lot of SC pitches there's not much conventional swing at all, but there is reverse swing later on. Not sure why this is.

You either let the same ball be used for 50 or you use two new balls IMO; bringing out a reconditioned old ball every game was always a terrible idea.
agreed

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
The only issue is the lack of reverse swing.
That, along with only 4 men outside the ring now, has made death bowling very tough indeed. While I think two new balls will make batting harder in England, New Zealand, South Africa and at times Australia, I think it could lead to some massive scores in the SC. Don't be surprised if 400 becomes par at times.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So here's an interesting question; who would partner Anderson and Swann in the bowling line up for the first test? Broad and Finn would probably be the obvious paring, but as grecian said, Broad isn't looking great. I'd still pick him in an ideal XI, but for this tour I'd be really keen to try and get Woakes in and give him a shot. He's probably the least deserving of all the bowlers in the squad to get a game, but I really think this tour could be a chance to see whether he's good enough for test cricket at the moment, and of course if his batting is a success, it could open up the possibility of five bowlers, which could be handy if we want to play two spinners in the Ashes. Onions probably should be ahead of him in the pecking order, but I'd like to try him out.
Nah, if your ignoring Broad, Onions is yer man, happy with Woakes' improvement, but scaly's man deserves a test spot this winter, at least.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah look, if it was the Ashes my pecking order would be; Anderson, Broad, Finn, Onions, Woakes. But I'd just be interested to try out Woakes on this tour.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Final score sweepstake:

<170
170- 184
185- 199
200- 214
215- 229
230- 244
245- 259
260- 274
275- 294
295+

Athlai

Not Terrible
Final score sweepstake:

<170
170- 184
185- 199
200- 214
215- 229
230- 244
245- 259
260- 274
275- 294: Athlai
295+

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nah, if your ignoring Broad, Onions is yer man, happy with Woakes' improvement, but scaly's man deserves a test spot this winter, at least.
Yeah as much as I would enjoy Scaly's reaction if they went for Woakes over him, Onions really deserves a chance. Got a feeling he could be really effective against Australia this summer as well.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Elliot must be one of the worst placers of the ball I've seen. He can play some lovely shots, but they always seem to find fielders.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Final score sweepstake:

<170
170- 184
185- 199
200- 214 KN
215- 229 Bahnz
230- 244
245- 259 Cabinet
260- 274
275- 294: Athlai