• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Want to punch you right now Smithy.
Smithy missed McMillan's major point which was that we needed to have more intent from the get-go as opposed to what we should do from here. Unfortunately McMillan's not quite smart enough to remember that now :p

Athlai

Not Terrible
**** off Smithy what if after 10 they are 40/0 and all of a sudden we're ****ed.

Need the runs and in this situation with these players we should chance our arm a little and try take the game back.

We take the risk and we get a decent total like 275 or so then we stand a much better chance than taking no risks and settling for 220.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
As long as you are not South Africa, the easiest way to beat NZ in a limited overs game is just put them into bat first.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Jeets watch:

8, 60*, 40.1-15-80-5, 14.2-4-52-3

Enough to keep him in the test team?
Well it'd be a mistake to drop him for Bruce Martin, Chris Martin or Neil Wagner IMO. I'm more open to Butler or Gillespie playing, but it'd depend on what their fitness levels were like and what they were actually sending down in domestic cricket. Gillespie's only worth picking when he's really fit and bowling full rat and I have no idea what Butler actually bowls in four day cricket these days; he's taking a lot of wickets but it's entirely possible he's only able to bowl full pace over 4 over spells. If you rule those two out then yeah I still want Jeets.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Well it'd be a mistake to drop him for Bruce Martin, Chris Martin or Neil Wagner IMO. I'm more open to Butler or Gillespie playing, but it'd depend on what their fitness levels were like and what they were actually sending down in domestic cricket. Gillespie's only worth picking when he's really fit and bowling full rat and I have no idea what Butler actually bowls in four day cricket these days; he's taking a lot of wickets but it's entirely possible he's only able to bowl full pace over 4 over spells. If you rule those two out then yeah I still want Jeets.
pretty decent summary.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Broad still looking horrid, but I have to say I'm really liking Woakes bowling. I was bothered about his pace, but it was his pace without accuracy that worried me (reminded me of Plunkett). Yet he seems, much more controlled ATM, and he definitely does seem to be moving the ball.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Anyone else think that the two new balls thing may have a little to do with this as well?
Definitely does. In general I like this as it means the batsmen are threatened more in the first 20 overs and restores the bat/ball balance somewhat.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
So here's an interesting question; who would partner Anderson and Swann in the bowling line up for the first test? Broad and Finn would probably be the obvious paring, but as grecian said, Broad isn't looking great. I'd still pick him in an ideal XI, but for this tour I'd be really keen to try and get Woakes in and give him a shot. He's probably the least deserving of all the bowlers in the squad to get a game, but I really think this tour could be a chance to see whether he's good enough for test cricket at the moment, and of course if his batting is a success, it could open up the possibility of five bowlers, which could be handy if we want to play two spinners in the Ashes. Onions probably should be ahead of him in the pecking order, but I'd like to try him out.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The only issue is the lack of reverse swing.
Reverse swing was taken out of the by the mandatory old ball change anyway.

You either let the same ball be used for 50 or you use two new balls IMO; bringing out a reconditioned old ball every game was always a terrible idea.