• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

Flem274*

123/5
The only way Ronchi fits is if either he or Watling opens imo.

And making Watling open for a guy who is just being a mini-Ryder in a competition where Colin Munro is in God mode and Cachopa can score a million hundreds despite no idea against short pitched bowling is dubious tstl.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
2nd team is based on the form of Watling and the calls for him to go up the order. Flynn would drop out and Ronchi would sweep in.

1. B Watling
2. B McCullum
3. K Williamson
4. R Taylor
5. D Brownlie
6. L Ronchi+
7. J Neesham/T Astle
8. D Bracewell
9. T Southee
10. B Martin
11. T Boult
Pick a NZ test XI with Ronchi in it.
If Ryder were to be available drop the #7 and put Ronchi there, Williamson and Ryder the 5th bowling option.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Watling is more an opener than a number 7. And Ronchi is possibly the best number 7 NZ have available.

With regards to Ryder I think 6 is too low. Unless he bats 4 or 5 you may as well just have him wherever is convenient - he'll be equally unsuited to opening, 3, 6 or 7.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
You still haven't explained how Ronchi is a better middle-order option than Taylor, Ryder, Brownlie or Watling. Good luck justifying his inclusion over two blokes that just averaged in the mid 40s against the best bowling attack in the world in their home conditions.
I don't think he's saying he's better than them; he's saying that given the mediocre performances and records of some of the player's we've picked, someone like Ronchi who is in form and actually has a good technique (apart from getting out early) is just a good a pick than persisting with those who continuously fail or aren't as talented as Ronchi. And he has a point.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah if you want Watling to open then Ronchi plays. It's probably the top seven I actually think has the most runs in it too but I've become a bit of a Watling fanboy and it'd be so ridiculously harsh to make him do it that I'd only be prepared if he put his hand up and said he wanted to.

Flem274*

123/5
I'm not confident in Watling as an opener at all tbh, and he's been a success in his current role so I'm happy to keep him as the keeper batsman.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
The only way Ronchi fits is if either he or Watling opens imo.

And making Watling open for a guy who is just being a mini-Ryder in a competition where Colin Munro is in God mode and Cachopa can score a million hundreds despite no idea against short pitched bowling is dubious tstl.
You repeatedly saying this is starting to really irritate me. Ronchi's style of batting in no way resembles Ryder's. The only similarity is that both score quickly - but in Ronchi's case its a lot more justifiable on the grounds that he's batting against an older ball, with tail-enders for batting partners.

Flem274*

123/5
You repeatedly saying this is starting to really irritate me. Ronchi's style of batting in no way resembles Ryder's. The only similarity is that both score quickly - but in Ronchi's case its a lot more justifiable on the grounds that he's batting against an older ball, with tail-enders for batting partners.
They're both Wellingtonian batsmen who score runs ridiculously quickly and cbf with the whole blocking thing is how I'm using it.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
So how do we all feel about going back to Vettori + three quicks if it happens? After SA I think it's likely provided Dan the Man is fit.
IMO we must have a fifth bowler who is at least Ryder level and can bowl 10-15 overs per day. I like our three pacemen Southee/Boult/Bracewell but some tests the opposition is still going to bat 150 overs vs them. Usually/hopefully more like 80-120. With Vettori's injury problems I doubt he'd bowl more than 20 overs in a day these days, while Brownlie and Williamson are pretty terrible with the ball. So that leaves a hell of a lot of bowling for three young developing bowlers if there's noone else. I don't want to see the side's potential strength get bowled into the ground and injured.

Mike5181

International Captain
I don't think he's saying he's better than them; he's saying that given the mediocre performances and records of some of the player's we've picked, someone like Ronchi who is in form and actually has a good technique (apart from getting out early) is just a good a pick than persisting with those who continuously fail or aren't as talented as Ronchi. And he has a point.
If that's what he was saying I would agree with him. Right now he is a better option than guys like Flynn, and certainly Munro etc. He's not saying that though:

Your top order is ****e. Your middle order is ****e. Your lower middle order is ****e.

Pick people who can bat or might be able to bat. The number of available cricketers who can fulfil that criteria is a lot less than 6 or 7.
People are seriously suggesting leave Ronchi out?!?

Have Kiwis forgotten just how ****ing ****e their batting is?

Ronchi averaging low 30s would still be better than almost your entire line up.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
On Watling. He has developed since his first incarnation. Doug Bollinger had him for breakfast by bowling half volleys at middle stump and getting him out lbw. Now Watling is driving those balls for four.