• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
NZ XI: Luke Ronchi (c), Corey Anderson, Broom, Brownlie, Carl Cachopa, Gillespie, Latham, Neesham, Rutherford, Sodhi, Wagner

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
One more player may be added to the team closer to the match in Queenstown.

New Zealand Cricket - New Zealand XI features the next generation of BLACKCAPS

With the exception of a couple of experienced players, the squad reflects the next generation of BLACKCAPS says General Manager National Selection Kim Littlejohn.

“This game gives us a great opportunity to see how these youngsters cope with playing a Test side ranked at two in the world.”

Northern Knights leg spinner Ish Sodhi is one of those stars of the future. The 20-year-old was one of the top bowlers at last year’s under-19 World Cup and he has been in great form during this season’s Plunket Shield four-day competition.

“This game will give Ish an opportunity to gain some valuable experience and see what's needed for his game to go to the next level,” says Littlejohn.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
NZ XI: Luke Ronchi (c), Corey Anderson, Broom, Brownlie, Carl Cachopa, Gillespie, Latham, Neesham, Rutherford, Sodhi, Wagner
Probably should only go with 1 of Anderson or Neesham and have another proper seam bowler, and pick another actual opener, but otherwise that's not too bad.

It's good that they're keeping Gillespie in mind.

Mike5181

International Captain
1. Hamish Rutherford
2. Tom Latham
3. Carl Cachopa
4. Neil Broom
5. Dean Brownlie
6. Luke Ronchi (c)(+)
7. Corey Anderson
8. Jimmy Neesham
9. Neil Wagner
10. Ish Sodhi
11. Mark Gillespie

Last edited:

Blain

U19 Captain
Hmmm I would have given Fulton a go before Cachopa. Maybe Fulton is a certain for the tests?

Rutherford
Latham
Cachopa
Broom
Brownlie
Anderson
Ronchi
Neesham
Wagner
Sodhi
Gillspie

not to bad though, should be interesting to see how they go.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Anderson and Howsie won't stand for him batting underneath Otago's 'attack watchman' with a 23 FC average, no matter how pretty some of Neesham's strokeplay looks.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Deliberate ploy to not play a swing bowler or a genuine 3rd seamer so that England's batsmen are unprepared?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
"Northern Knights leg spinner Ish Sodhi is one of those stars of the future. The 20-year-old was one of the top bowlers at last year's under-19 World Cup and he has been in great form during this season's Plunket Shield four-day competition."

Erm...I mean he hasn't been terrible or anything, but a bowling average in the mid 40's is hardly "great form" even for a young developing spinner.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Not bad. Does this mean Fulton and Flynn are nailed on openers? What if Guptill does get fit in time?

I would add Butler for one of Neesham/Anderson.

And while exposure for Sodhi is great, I think our immediate spin concerns should trump this. Whoever starts the series as spinner probably won't finish it, it would be useful to know if the second choice was worth a punt. (Assuming we pick a spinner)

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
jeets will stay on as test spinner, but I imagine he won't get a game as we should be picking 4 seamers.

The warmup will decide whether that 4th seamer is Gillepie or Wagner.

I agree that it would've been nice to give Butler a go over either Anderson or Neesham. But if either of this pair do well, they're a good chance to be picked over Franklin.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Erm...I mean he hasn't been terrible or anything, but a bowling average in the mid 40's is hardly "great form" even for a young developing spinner.
No 20 y.o. leggie from NZ has ever had a wickets montage get a run on the Cricket Show, is what he meant to say.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Quite like this, though wouldn't have minded seeing Todd Astle included too, even if he hasn't done much for Canterbury recently.

Wonder if Gillespie and Wagner are indeed auditioning for the fourth seamer role.

Binkley

U19 Captain

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Should just play my sig XI tbh, except with Ronchi in there as the magical 12th player.

Except for my injured quicks...

Last edited: