• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Obviously, the article about Southee being held back was before injuries altered the situation, and was in ref to the FC warm up match in Queenstown.

I would have preferred Butler to be called up as well and let Southee finish the Plunket Shield, but that us because I'm not much fussed about ODIs and my job isn't on the line.

Also, think NZ should be playing 3 proper seamers in ODIs nowadays, rather than Ellis at number 9. 2 new balls, 2 bouncers per over..... Get your ****ing laptop out Hesson and make this change.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, you're just easily set alight so no surprises your posts are on fire.:ph34r:
But you're but you're but you're... damn can't make fun of your user name....

phlegmatic

"Having an unemotional and stolidly calm disposition."

Oh wait no you're not :p

Flem274*

123/5
But you're but you're but you're... damn can't make fun of your user name....

phlegmatic

"Having an unemotional and stolidly calm disposition."

Oh wait no you're not :p
I'm the most chilled out person on this forum tbh.

The aircon in this room is exceptional.

Mike5181

International Captain
We win this series, we take massive confidence into the test series. If we play Boult, and keep Ellis as the third seamer, it'll end up like the third T20I. It'll completely destroy the confidence we have at the moment.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
This is pretty weird too, sounds like it might be the likes of a Henry or Sodhi bowling to the English next week rather than those right in line for selection...
Surely there aren't any 'development' bowlers left at the moment. I count the following as not fit; McClenaghan, Bartlett, Milne, Small, Wheeler, Henry.

So in my opinion may as well use this to audition the immediate bowling back-ups.

I would go;
Rutherford
Fulton
Redmond
Taylor
Broom
Cachopa (Carl)
Ronchi's
Nethula
Wagner
Butler
Arnel

On the assumption this is my test line-up;
Flynn
to be determined
Williamson
Taylor
McCullum
Brownlie
Watling
Bracewell
Southee
Gillespie
Boult

So audition of Fulton, Rutherford, Redmond for Guptills spot, also audition for Ronchi resulting in possible move up for Watling.

So, no youthful development players in my team. Only sure test player using it for warm-up is Taylor. All others are in audition or only an injury/schellacking away.

(Huge apologies to Bruce Martin)

Blain

U19 Captain
Rutherford
Flynn
Fulton
Taylor
Broom
Munro/Anderson
Ronchi's
Nethula
Wagner
Butler
Gillespie
I would like to see something like that for the warm up. Maybe even Brownlie in for Broom. The top 3 are the openers gunning for the spots I reckon, let them battle it out. Be interesting to see how Gillespie would go.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Immenso's got to give Littlejohn some credit here, how many tastings can a selection manager bring upon himself within 24 hours. :p

Henry's playing this week, they'd be asking him for two FC games with just a three day break though. Small, I see he played for his club.

Flem274*

123/5
If we want a genuine second eleven with some form gathering/selection trials then we should pick:

Guptill
Fulton
Flynn
Taylor
Broom
Cachopa
Ronchi
Astle/Martin
Wagner
Butler
Gillespie

If we want to give the youngsters (those who aren't injured) an opportunity to impress then:

Rutherford
Raval
Cachopa
Mitchell
Latham (wk)
Anderson/Boam/Neesham
Anderson/Boam/Neesham
Sodhi
Henry
Small/Mathieson
Duffy

In the end I think we'll see a mixture of the two thought processes.

Flem274*

123/5
Bet we pick Howsie's Heroes. I'm keen for a middle order of Sinclair, Franklin, Woodcock, Hopkins so I get to see the ensuing reaction.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I only partially agree. While I do think his ability is overexaggerated, he does have a very solid technique, and no apparent flaws in his game.

He's comfortable against genuine quick bowling (which is something one could say about only 2-3 players in NZ). He's a good player of spin. He has the ability to rotate the strike against tight bowling. He's quick between the wickets and was an excellent wicketkeeper when he was doing it full time. And obviously he can slog with the best of them.

The issue is that powers of concentration is not considered an ability, so dismissals attributable to concentration failures are seen as him underachiever, rather than him actually not having that critical cog.
He's the perfect example of a guy who plays all the shots pretty well.

As opposed to other guys who rely on only a few shots, but play them really well.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I would say McCullum has plenty of technical flaws, mainly balance and footwork, which results in him hitting the ball at catchable height too often for international cricket.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
McCullum is just way too rough around the edges for me to buy into the underachiever line. There's just the little errors and imperfections apparent in every facet of his batting which rightly keep him in the bracket below world class test batsmen. It's not just like he can fix one or two blaring things and suddenly take off, his problems are much more widespread than that and are unlikely to be fixed at this stage in his career.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
One player who doesn't fall into that category but might well be asked to play in Queenstown is Ross Taylor
So if he fails in the ODIs and 22 ends up being his top score and he fails in this warm up game - will McHesson drop him from the tests?