• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

thierry henry

International Coach
All jokes aside, Smith saying Williamson played the innings of the match is bull****. McCullum clear MOTM.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
In terms of the death bowling it's certainly true that Anderson and Woakes should have bowled out earlier, and Swann could well have got away with bowler later on. But really there's no cure for bowling short tripe to a well-set batsman who's had no difficulty hitting it over the leg side boundary.

C. ref. Butler to Hales

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Mills and Franklin evens it out tbf. Plus, no Dernbach.

Despite what happened today I think we'll see some big runs at the death in this series.
Yeah, I don't think the selection was wrong. I'm just pointing out that England conceding runs at the death is more due to having bad death bowlers, rather than mentally capitulating.

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah, I don't think the selection was wrong. I'm just pointing out that England conceding runs at the death is more due to having bad death bowlers, rather than mentally capitulating.
I just wanted to get in the Choakes cheap shot first before someone else did.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
All jokes aside, Smith saying Williamson played the innings of the match is bull****. McCullum clear MOTM.
I'd probably give it to McCullum as well but I'm not sure it's quite that categorical. There's a decent case for Williamson, he set them up brilliantly up until he was run out.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Just wanna say well done to the kiwis, it's really hard to believe that this is the same side we beat last year, since then we've lost to bang and been whitewashed in Aus while they have beaten SA and could very well beat England!!..ah it's a funny old game!! :laugh: .

That new lefty has given them a new lease of life imo, just like Narine did with us when he first came in, good to see Williamson get his head down and score runs aswell, the key will be in how England responds now, they will come hard at NZ next game so the kiwis are gonna have to weather that storm, the absence of Guptil might be the difference though.

Last edited:

Mike5181

International Captain
I'd probably give it to McCullum as well but I'm not sure it's quite that categorical. There's a decent case for Williamson, he set them up brilliantly up until he was run out.
I'd go McCullum as MOTM personally. Performed under intense pressure there.

thierry henry

International Coach
Williamson looked really good and like he was set to play a special knock, but fact is he was sawn off at a point where all he'd really done was keep us in touch, scoring at an ok enough strike-rate but at a time when we were getting slightly behind.

McCullum's knock got us over the line from a fairly unlikely position at a time when his wicket would've been catastrophic but he still had to score quickly. Big gulf imo.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
While I'd give MotM to McCullum, it was Guptil who changed the match for me. Was 39 required off 22 when he faced his first ball, and he proceeded to get 24 (10). New Zealand were struggling to keep up with Ellis just trying to get McCullum on strike, then Guptil came in and meant that England couldn't sneak in a few quiet deliveries against one batsman.

thierry henry

International Coach
Someone must have told him about TH bagging his lack of pace on CW.
I am quite an influential figure like that.

Seriously though- what sort of side strain sees you coughing up blood?

And on the other side of the coin- what sort of hammy strain leaves you able to still run around like Guppy was?

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well played NZ, good game I thought under the cover of my duvet on the settee. Shame about the injuries for the NZ guys, hope they aren't as serious as we expect.

For us, not too down, some very rusty performances from the ones who haven't been to India for the ODI's and they will get better by the time the tests are here.

McCullum played a gem and as for Guptill Greenidge that was brilliant on one leg.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I am quite an influential figure like that.

Seriously though- what sort of side strain sees you coughing up blood?

And on the other side of the coin- what sort of hammy strain leaves you able to still run around like Guppy was?
I guess adrenaline can take over; especially if you're doped up on pain killers.