Cricket Player Manager
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ordinary away? Go for the DRAW

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    That's not because they've intentionally sacrificed bowling strength for batting though, it's just a product of their best possible XI and common sense captaincy.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    True, but it still works for them. If they have a bad few first sessions, and feel the game has slipped away from them they can just shut up shop and bat the game out.

Of course with their current bowling attack even if they have a few bad sessions with the bat they might not be out of the game.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    That's just the mentality. Settling for a draw shouldn't be applauded. Although that un-South African declaration they made a few years back vs Australia was a step in the right direction.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

State Vice-Captain
    It took India their best ever batting line up at the peak of their powers to draw games abroad, and even then they lost a fair few. You'll lose on testing pitches with eleven batsmen if they're not in the absolute upper echelon around. Besides, defensive tactics rarely work over five days. Saving a game on the final day is different.

I would agree with Sri Lanka doing this if we actually had plenty of batsmen who perform consistently on overseas tours. I really don't think that one or two extra batsmen would be able to change the course of the game, particularly if we have to rely on our batsmen bowling extra overs. I reckon we have a couple of young spinners around who might do something more worthwhile with the opportunity.

I'm not completely against the idea as it may work on a more batting friendly pitch or something, but on the whole I would be very disappointed if we attempted this.
    "I will go down as Darren Sammy, the one who always smiles" - Darren Sammy

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Ojha to bowl till his arms drop off
    Haha genuinely lol'd at this..
    "I want to raise my hand and say one thing. Those who complain about my love for the game or commitment to the game are clueless. These are the only 2 areas where I give myself 100 out of 100."
    - Sachin Tendulkar, as told in an interview published in Bengali newspaper Anandabazar Patrika after his 100th International century (translated by weldone)

Is there an example of a Test team "playing for a draw" in both their selection and tactics, and it working?
    "Your averages, captain, coaches and players can probably survive incompetence over a relatively short series, so if youíre going to be rubbish, make sure itís against Pakistan, Sri Lanka, New Zealand or someone."

Not even close to this extent spoken of in this thread, but perhaps England at The Oval 2005?

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Is there an example of a Test team "playing for a draw" in both their selection and tactics, and it working?
    England last Test match, slightly.

Bringing in Root on debut who has a tight technique over Morgan or Patel and selecting the bowler with the most batting talent, Bresnan meant that they were playing for a draw or at least were extremely happy to draw.

No example as extreme as what I'm suggesting.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    India played just two bowlers in the recent 3rd Test vs England. Didn't succeed in drawing though.

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    5th Test: West Indies v England at Port of Spain, Mar 6-10, 2009 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Ryan Hinds had played earlier in the series as a #6 batsman who bowled a couple of overs here and there; I think he was "dropped" from that role essentially but he played anyway as a #7/8 batsman and bowled over after over of defensive left arm spin at the pads of the English batsmen from over the wicket. He batted #4 in the second innings because Gayle was injured but his selection was definitely one of "going for the draw" IMO.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.

U19 Debutant
    Novel idea by OP..but the point is when your five best batsmen cannot prevent the team from losing how it would matter if your next not so good 5 would help in preventing the loss...i think it will not work..bad team would still end up losing 3-0..

Quote Originally Posted by doesitmatter View Post
    Novel idea by OP..but the point is when your five best batsmen cannot prevent the team from losing how it would matter if your next not so good 5 would help in preventing the loss...i think it will not work..bad team would still end up losing 3-0..
    There are reasons why it could work. The Batting order will become important, but just because selectors pick the 5 or 6 regular batsman in the team, it doesn't mean they are actually the 5 or 6 best batsman.

If 9 or so are picked it enables:
    a) the batsman who are in the top 5 or 6 who are under pressure to really knuckle down knowing that if they fail they aren't going to be in the top 6 when the team reverts to traditional form.
    b) it gives the bats at 7 to 9 or 10 an opportunity to perform well and be in the best regular XI
    c) it gives the other bats experience (while losing out on bowling experience which is a negative).
    d) it IMO will improve some batters techniques as they realize that hitting the ball along the ground actually helps, you see a fair few soft shots these days, hopefully this mindset would lessen the soft dismissals.

Also, not a brilliant reason to do this move, but it is likely that fielding standards will improve which saves SOME runs.

Honestly though, if the team with minimal bowlers bowl negatively, have a third man, a ring field etc, the batting team will need to bat well to score runs and it could at times create some soft dismissals which a Herath or Ashwin (if India did this) could take advantage of.

BTW, just out of interest, if you think 300 or 350 is a safe lead to declare ahead with the fourth innings to come, how much would that increase if you played 9 or 10 bats?
    Last edited by NUFAN; 14-01-2013 at 06:25 PM.

Your suggestion NUFAN is the soccer equivalent of QPR playing 5 defenders deep in their own half, 4 mid-fielders just in front of them, and a lonely striker on the half-way line just in case a long ball balloons his way. And all for a solitary point against Manchester United at Old Trafford.

It's a cowardly tactic, boring to watch, and I gives me no respect for the team. I'd rather my team lose 4 nil but at least 'ava-a-go'.
    Len Hutton - Jack Hobbs - Ted Dexter - Peter May - Walter Hammond - Frank Woolley - Ian Botham - Alan Knott - Hedley Verity - John Snow - Fred Trueman

Victor Trumper - Bill Lawry - Don Bradman - Greg Chappell - Allan Border - Keith Miller - Adam Gilchrist - Alan Davidson - Shane Warne - Dennis Lillee - Glenn McGrath

Yeah Watson, I used the football analogy earlier and believe that this would be a genuine tactic if we did end up having a Test Championship.

I would rather my team ava-a-go too, but I think it would be brilliant to watch and less predictable compared to some current Tests at the moment.

I want to see another nation who is struggling with the ball to try it. BTW, there still is a chance that they can win this tactic. If the chase isn't that huge it is possible that this team can pull off a high fourth innings run chase, I mean if anyone is going to do it, its a team with 9/10 batsman.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information