• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Favourite Wick/Bats test innings?

slowfinger

International Debutant
Adam Gilchrist - 2nd Fastest Test 100

I stumbled across this today and was completely dumbstruck by this BLINDER of an innings, the variety of his shots and the consistency! I mean, I went to the nets, tried to hit 1 like Gilchrist, and found myself bowled, the man is a genius :wub:

What is your favourite innings by a Wicketkeeper Batsman?

Flametree

International 12th Man
In what universe is Kim Hughes a wicket-keeper?

(I sympathise that the title of the thread was fairly unclear... but the end of OP's first post said what he meant...)

watson

Banned
I took took 'Wick' to mean WICKet's by a bowler and 'Bats' to mean runs by a BATSman. Hence my nomination of Lillee and Hughes from the same match

It's just how my funny brain works. Obviously confused by short-hand. Incidently what's OP short for?

Enjoy the vids anyway as they can't hurt.

Last edited:

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
I took took 'Wick' to mean WICKet's by a bowler and 'Bats' to mean runs by a BATSman. Hence my nomination of Lillee and Hughes from the same match

It's just how my funny brain works. Obviously confused by short-hand. Incidently what's OP short for?

Enjoy the vids anyway as they can't hurt.
Opening Post

Chubb

International Regular
There's only one Andy Flower, and there was only one man who could score twin hundreds without support - well, alright, Ebrahim and Masakadza made 50s - after keeping wicket throughout an opposition innings of 600-3. That man will always be one of my heroes.

Love to see Gilchrist - who was a very good player - do that!

1st Test: Zimbabwe v South Africa at Harare, Sep 7-11, 2001 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

One thing I love about this is when the first innings was over Flower asked Pollock if he would enforce the follow-on... Pollock said "yes" and Flower just said "Good.''

Last edited:

cricmahanty

School Boy/Girl Captain
I'll go with Adam Gilchrist's 149* in the Hobart test match of 1999/00 against Pakistan. Coming in at 5/126, Australia still had 243 runs to go in a fourth innings chase that saw Saqlain Mushtaq, in particular, from Pakistan bowl brilliantly.

Gilchrist swung the momentum of the game with his raw strokeplay. His 149 runs just took 160-odd balls. There was no escaping for Pakistan from this scathing late-order attack.

The psychological effect of that marvelous knock can be gauged from the fact that even some 7 test matches after that Hobart test match, Pakistan are yet to win a test match in Australia. (infact they've lost all 7 of those)

LOL ! :D

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This just made me look at some of Dhoni's 80+ scores, and only 2-3 of them have come when India were in trouble. Most of them were when the top order had already put on 400. Dire tstl. Average flatters him. Wade probably a similar case.

Spark

Global Moderator
This just made me look at some of Dhoni's 80+ scores, and only 2-3 of them have come when India were in trouble. Most of them were when the top order had already put on 400. Dire tstl. Average flatters him. Wade probably a similar case.
Nah not so for Wade. PEWS could've told you about the first though

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I can't really say I'm confident there was/is anyone else in Indian cricket who'd have done/can do a better job though. Needs to lose the captaincy though obv.

As for this thread, I personally rate some of Prior's rescue acts very highly. One of the most useful WK batsmen to have played in recent times.

cricmahanty

School Boy/Girl Captain
His most notable contribution with the bat in test cricket, in my opinion, would be the match-saving effort at Lords' back in 2007. I can't recall how many runs he scored in that innings but to hang on with the tail (with help from the weather and partly from the umpires) was an effort very commendable indeed.

Had he not stuck around that fine day, India's last test series win in England would still have been 1986.

Overall, he's obviously not a test batsman by any stretch of imagination. The average is massively inflated due to being not out, scoring quick runs etc. in lost causes.

If I'd to pick an all-time India XI, I'd have Engineer or Kunderan as my wicket-keeper.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't know about favorite, but among the most important are the Gilchrist 149 vs Pakistan that kicked started his career, establishing his legacy and changed permanently how we look at keepers and Clyde Walcott's 168 in 1950, that establied the West Indies as a potential world power.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
From a kiwi perspective, you can't top Parore's 100 against McGrath, Warne, Gillespie and Lee in 2001. Just a sublime innings.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
From a kiwi perspective, you can't top Parore's 100 against McGrath, Warne, Gillespie and Lee in 2001. Just a sublime innings.
I'll see that Parore and raise it with a Smith and a Lees.

Lees scored 152 against Pakistan in Pakistan in 1976 (coming in at 104/5)
3rd Test: Pakistan v New Zealand at Karachi, Oct 30-Nov 4, 1976 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Smith scored 173* off 136 balls against India in Auckland from no 9 (coming in 131/7 on a green top)
3rd Test: New Zealand v India at Auckland, Feb 22-26, 1990 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

You've also got to remember that as well as Parore played he was still one of 4 NZers to ton up in that Perth 1st innings. Lees and Smith saved NZ with their knocks (with help from Sir RJH on both occasions).

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
I am sure Alec Stewart and Sanga have played some good knocks..i think Engineer's century against Hall, Griffith and Gibbs would have been a good knock

Satyanash89

Banned
Surely Kamran Akmal's century against us in Karachi 2006 has to be up there. Personally dont think theres been a better innings played by a WK considering the circumstances