• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

****Official****Pakistan in South Africa

stumpski

International Captain
Result you would have expected at lunch on Thursday, but I wasn't expecting this to finish today. 13 wickets for 250, highlights should make good viewing later.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Pakistan are definitely the fourth best team in the world for mine. 1 v 4 in 1's home conditions does always have a fair chance of being too much of a mismatch though, especially when the home conditions of the sides in question are so different.

If anything this series has been closer so far than I expected at the start; I remember you blokes (smali mainly, ironically enough) ripping into me for saying you'd get smashed because your batting was crap and your pace attack wasn't anywhere near good enough to make up for that.
yeah I rember agreeing with you but I also said Ajmal will be a factor in one game and this is where Pakistan has to seize the opportunity by putting enough runs for him I guess this was the game and we missed our boat and I am expecting 3-0 now. I think a lot of us did not realize how crap Gul has become we only needed one fastmen to support Ajmal here along with 50 + runs and result might have gone otherwise.

Infact if you look at this series apart from that 49 all out Pakistan top order has competed well with SA top order its the difference in the lower order that won Sa this game.

Pakistan 253/5 Sa 109/5
Paksitan 159/5 Sa 169/5

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Pakistan:
Scored 2 first innings centuries, yet failed to post 350. Had SA looking at a big first innings deficit, yet failed to finish them off. Had the opportunity to post a 250+ lead, yet lost 3 wickets in 3 balls.

Philander was excellent, rather surprised to see Robin Peterson take MOTM.

Spiced

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Wow, somehow SA get's themselves in deep trouble where the other team is the favorite to win but end up winning. We choke and we still win, so not like our ODI team.

akilana

International 12th Man
What a choke by pakistan.
They couldn't have asked for a better pitch in SA to earn a win.
Hopefully, the next test is played on a similar pitch. It's little bit more fun and also SA's lower middle order needs to be tested and replaced if it's not firing.
Virus and Elgar may be bit under pressure.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Wow, somehow SA get's themselves in deep trouble where the other team is the favorite to win but end up winning.
Honestly, it's a pretty typical top dog vs volatile mid-table test match.

In the end the top team held out for longer. Aus used to do this all the time.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Next match at Centurian will be similar to the first at Johannesburg. So expect Steyn and Philander to average even lower after the series is over.

This really was our best opportunity to take a win. Needed a better bowler than Gul and Grunter to support Ajmal and Irfan and should have batted better in the second innings. I'm sure if we had Junaid we would have won.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Gul and Tanvir were **** etc. etc. But this match was definitely lost when Misbah decided to bat like a dumb **** to Petersen and Shafiq and Sarfraz thought it'd be a good idea to watch the ball hit their stumps without doing anything about it.

250+ would have been a really good total to defend. Of course the Saffers could have won, they didn't really "only" win by 4 wickets, those 2 late wickets don't exactly count. But if they were defending 250-270... well it could have been a really amazing finish.

shoaib789

Cricket Spectator
PAK v SA

yesterday pakistan have lost the 3 test match sereies by 4 wickets.but i hope in 3rd test pak ll come back in the game.And pak ll win 3rd test.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
This turned out to actually be quite a good game. But Pakistan are really hurt by their lack of explosive pace bowlers here, they can't just rely on Ajmal outside the subcontinent

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
Why do people keep throwing the word "choke" around? Pak played on a pitch that suits them, did well on days 1 and 2 then were blown away on day 3 and 4, we outplayed them just like we did in Pakistan 2008 also in their conditions. Pakistan were put under pressure the whole second innings with good lines and lengths for over 70 overs and we never backed down. If SA bowled poorly, maybe we were lucky that Pakistan "choked" the truth is Pak was just bettered by SA.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Why do people keep throwing the word "choke" around? Pak played on a pitch that suits them, did well on days 1 and 2 then were blown away on day 3 and 4, we outplayed them just like we did in Pakistan 2008 also in their conditions. Pakistan were put under pressure the whole second innings with good lines and lengths for over 70 overs and we never backed down. If SA bowled poorly, maybe we were lucky that Pakistan "choked" the truth is Pak was just bettered by SA.
Azhar playing out maidens over maidens against RP yes RP bowled tightly but not as well that he should be going under 1 rpo.Misbah, Shafiq and Sarfraz throwing their wickets away yes tight bowling brought its pressure but that does not excuse awful judgement . Dropping AB couple of times on 3rd morning that give SA the breathing space when Ajmal had his foot on their throat followed by letting RP off the hook while batting, should have put Hafeez on with the in out field as soon as he started hitting out with Philander Hafeez is a good odi bowler would have got RP after a couple of hits.I thought SA batting was below par the whole game and had Pakistan taken their chances with some support from Ajmal a target of 250 would have been a winning one. SA fought back hard but it was sloppy cricket from Pakistan that aided them to comeback.

Last edited:

Гурин

School Boy/Girl Captain
South Africa v Pakistan, 2nd Test, Cape Town, 4th day : South Africa excellent, but not yet great | Cricket Features | South Africa v Pakistan | ESPN Cricinfo

Cricket must be the only team sport where in the mind of followers you're not playing only against your opposition, but also against performances of teams of the past.

I can't imagine a football fan saying after winning the scudetto 'Bah, they're still not as great as Torino in the '40s'.

I've read somewher on the web that winning 1-0 in Australia was not enouth 'because Australia at their peaks won 3-0 in South Africa' but those were just comments. Now this, on cricinfo, the day after winning a series... what a weird game

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The most ridiculous part of that article is the comparison of the bowling attack to the Windies of the 80s and the Aussies of McWarne. She really is an awful writer.