• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

****Official****Pakistan in South Africa

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Another thing that I feel tends to get ignored in this sort of situation is that playing fewer games can benefit a player as they avoid injuries, get proper rest time and can go at full pelt more often during games as they know they don't have as big a workload.

smash84

The Tiger King
Another thing that I feel tends to get ignored in this sort of situation is that playing fewer games can benefit a player as they avoid injuries, get proper rest time and can go at full pelt more often during games as they know they don't have as big a workload.
Clearly this strategy isn't working out with the Aussie bowlers:p

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Clearly this strategy isn't working out with the Aussie bowlers:p
McGrath's heavier workload years had higher averages (admittedly they were mid 21s but that's still worse than the 18s he churned out when he had fewer Tests to play) - in fact the 4 years he bowled the most were his worst averaging years throughout his peak.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Hmm, I dunno. Have to remember Steyn's big disadvantage in the statistical aggregate races - SA simply don't play enough Tests.
Yup. After the Pakistan series when do South Africa next play tests? I know India are supposed to be coming later in the year, but are they playing any other tests in the year?

Satyanash89

Banned
Yeah South Africa's test schedule is extremely barren this year.
And that tour by India is not going to be pretty. Our batting looks ****e honestly, almost as ****e as NZ, Pak. I cant really see anyone doing well there. Its all on Kohli and Pujara really but Pujara looked all at sea against Steyn when we toured a couple of years ago and i just feel now that Kohli's amazing purple patch is done, he'll struggle.

Plus, the stas-whore in me hopes Sachin retires before that tour to preserve his pristine 40+ average in every country vs every country :wub:

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
Yeah South Africa's test schedule is extremely barren this year.
And that tour by India is not going to be pretty. Our batting looks ****e honestly, almost as ****e as NZ, Pak. I cant really see anyone doing well there. Its all on Kohli and Pujara really but Pujara looked all at sea against Steyn when we toured a couple of years ago and i just feel now that Kohli's amazing purple patch is done, he'll struggle.

Plus, the stas-whore in me hopes Sachin retires before that tour to preserve his pristine 40+ average in every country vs every country :wub:
We were supposed to play in sri lanka

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
RSA is visiting us for a Test series in UAE this summer.

How would people rate the bowling between the two teams. For me it would be:

Steyn
Philander

Daylight

Morkel
Junaid (potential to get a lot better though)
Kallis
Gul

I am going to ignore the rookie Rahat since it was his debut.

smash84

The Tiger King
I doubt it will be a draw though......with the amount of psychological damage that SA have done in the first test they might actually win in the UAE too

Xuhaib

International Coach
so anyways how we can pull a game back any thoughts? or suggestions? a 3-0 loss sounds so depressing after a good run that lasted 2 years.:(

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Our players have the temprement but not the technique to play the moving ball. We need to work on their technique at the domestic level and improve the standard of our pitches. Another problem is that new bowlers don't know how the swing the new ball either way. Again by improving pitches that will naturally bring about a change over time. Until then expect the same results overseas from the FTB's.

smash84

The Tiger King
get Irfan in the team, bat first, try to stick around for 2 days and then catch SA by surprise with Irfan. That seems to be the only hope :p

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
even if Pakistan bowl first on a green track and manage to top SA's first innings score once the wicket flattens out, it's gonna be pretty hard to get them again in the second innings.

I think batting first is the only hope because Ajmal will still be a bit of a mystery against the lower order and tail.

Xuhaib

International Coach
yeah we have to get Ajmal in the game if we are to stay in the game. IMO Ajmal did not bowl well in the first game even if the conditions were against him barring Kallis and Amla I expect him to create troubles for every one if he has some runs to play with but first we need to find those runs from somewhere.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Our players have the temprement but not the technique to play the moving ball. We need to work on their technique at the domestic level and improve the standard of our pitches. Another problem is that new bowlers don't know how the swing the new ball either way. Again by improving pitches that will naturally bring about a change over time. Until then expect the same results overseas from the FTB's.
Junaid had the new ball on a string in the Indian series I expect thre bowlers to bowl better as they get used to the conditions its the bloddy batsman that need to get atleast 600 runs over the course of the game.

Xuhaib

International Coach
so Harris Sohail isnow out of the series with a knee injury would not mind a gamble of sending Umer Akmal get Azhar to open with Jamsed and slot Umer at 6.