• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

****Official****Pakistan in South Africa

Spiced

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I need help. I am looking for a good avatar if we win 3-0 for Agent Nationaux. This test match was there best chance for a win. No way they can take SA at Newlands. It will be Philanders turn to get his average down.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
I need help. I am looking for a good avatar if we win 3-0 for Agent Nationaux. This test match was there best chance for a win. No way they can take SA at Newlands. It will be Philanders turn to get his average down.
Create a new thread for it. That way everyone can see your request. Pick a good one. :p

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Anderson took 11-72 against Pakistan at Trent Bridge in 2010. I wouldn't say the gap between the two is huge at the moment, but I do believe Steyn is, and has always been, the better bowler.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
NZ typically regard getting to the ground on time and a nice lunch as victories. Perhaps the Pakistan players will be victorious in a nice Safari once the series is over :happy:

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
NZ typically regard getting to the ground on time and a nice lunch as victories. Perhaps the Pakistan players will be victorious in a nice Safari once the series is over :happy:
For them a victory is when they don't get dropped for the next series. Imran Farhat is the ATG when it comes to this. This is the reason as to why he has been called back into the squad so he can coach them on how to stay in the team.

sonnench

U19 12th Man
Imo the gap between Anderson and who is ever seen as the third best seamer in the world is a lot smaller than the one between him and Steyn. Steyn is just on another level, and it's not because of his extra pace.....

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
Dale Steyn: 2012/13 season

^6 tests, 36 wickets @ 16. Yes i admit steyns figures have been inflated by the last test, but how many wickets could he have taken if philander wasn't there?

2012 season:

3 tests, 15 wickets @ 29 (much below average)

James Anderson: 2012/13 season

4 tests 12 wickets @ 30... yes it was in India, but still in line with his career average (Steyn averages 20 in india btw)

2012 season: 5 tests (all at home) 18 wickets @ 34

so the facts are that when Steyn is bowling bad Anderson still lags behind him... the difference is Steyn turns it up like 5 extra levels when he has to.

sonnench

U19 12th Man
My favorite thing about Steyn is, for no reason what so ever, he will start bowling like an absolute demon, like something no one else was ever aware of, was pissing him off.

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
My favorite thing about Steyn is, for no reason what so ever, he will start bowling like an absolute demon, like something no one else was ever aware of, was pissing him off.
What amazes me is that just the other day people made a big deal over his 300th wicket and he is already a quarter of the way to 400.

Damn Sri Lanka wish we could see how steyn does there. the final frontier for our test side.

Mike5181

International Captain
What amazes me is that just the other day people made a big deal over his 300th wicket and he is already a quarter of the way to 400.

Damn Sri Lanka wish we could see how steyn does there. the final frontier for our test side.
He's getting through the wickets amazingly fast. How many do we think he can get? He's currently 29, and he seems to manage himself pretty well. I'd say he's a pretty good chance of passing McGrath's 563, or at least getting close.

Spark

Global Moderator
Hmm, I dunno. Have to remember Steyn's big disadvantage in the statistical aggregate races - SA simply don't play enough Tests.

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
Its hard to compare Steyn to Mcgrath who played in Aus's hayday, playing and dominating England often, playing much more test matches.

but quickly Mcgrath 563 wickets @ 21.6 strike rate of 52

Steyn 323 wickets @ 22.67 strike rate of 41

Mcgrath bowled 29 248 balls if Steyn ever bowled that many balls at his current rate he'll take 713 wickets

Improbable and unlikely though haha

ganeshran

International Debutant
Its hard to compare Steyn to Mcgrath who played in Aus's hayday, playing and dominating England often, playing much more test matches.

but quickly Mcgrath 563 wickets @ 21.6 strike rate of 52

Steyn 323 wickets @ 22.67 strike rate of 41

Mcgrath bowled 29 248 balls if Steyn ever bowled that many balls at his current rate he'll take 713 wickets

Improbable and unlikely though haha
McGrath has performed better than Steyn for a longer period, so I would rate him better . However, if Steyn continues his current form till the end of his career, he would be at par if not better than the pigeon.

One thing working in Steyn's favour is how much better he is than his contemporaries. The next best is Anderson while Mc Grath had to contend with Ambrose, Walsh, Akram as his contemporaries.