• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

****Official****Pakistan in South Africa

smash84

The Tiger King
The bowling may hold its own, or it may not. If you think it's going to skittle South Africa regularly and turn the series into a generally low-scoring one then well.. good luck with that my friend.
I do expect 2 tests of the series to throw up low scores. One will be a high scorer

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I would be absolutely amped for this series if it was in the UAE; seeing how this South African side would go with Robbie P when he needed to be a main wicket taking threat, the intriguing battle between Ajmal/Rehman and the South African top/middle order on turning tracks, Philander having to play on less helpful wickets, Steyn out his fix his record there etc etc. The difference between the sides would really be nullified; it'd be an absolute cracker. I'm really not expecting too much from it as a contest here though; I'm just hoping Junaid and Azhar Ali do well, and that I get to see Kallis play a long innings or two, really.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
As already mentioned, I would also like to see Jamshed opening the batting and Hafeez to drop down. With already Azhar, Younus and Misbah there, it will only strengthen the middle order and also likely to less expose the lower order with Sarfraz there.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
As already mentioned, I would also like to see Jamshed opening the batting and Hafeez to drop down. With already Azhar, Younus and Misbah there, it will only strengthen the middle order and also likely to less expose the lower order with Sarfraz there.
Even if Jamshed is a better batsman than Shafiq, I reckon Shafiq is better than Taufeeq anyway. If Jamshed is to play then it should be for Taufeeq IMO.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I agree with PEWS but who knows we may get lucky with some dry weather and a late summer wicket in of the tests and suddenly Pakistan might come in to their own however yeah even one Pakistan win at the moment is long odds. I am encouraged by Swann, Hearth and Bhajji returns in their last tour could mean Ajmal or possibly Rehman might be more of a threat. Also I would eat my hat if Gul averages under 40 for the series.

Last edited:

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Even if Jamshed is a better batsman than Shafiq, I reckon Shafiq is better than Taufeeq anyway. If Jamshed is to play then it should be for Taufeeq IMO.
Problem is Hafeez fairly unproven to seaming conditions and not sure how he's going to cope with SA bowling barrage upfront opening the innings. Therefore thought it's best for him to move down and make room for Jamshed also and for this one of the middle order bats to move out. Probably any of these won't happen and Jamshed to sit out.

smash84

The Tiger King
at least some of hafeez's brain is in the right place

Pakistan ready for South Africa, says Hafeez | Cricket | DAWN.COM

“I think Test cricket produces good-quality cricketers, like we have found Azhar Ali and Asad Shafiq from Test cricket. We need to promote Test cricket – if we play only six Tests in a year then it will be tough.

“I think the PCB (Pakistan Cricket Board) needs to fight for more Tests in the next fixture because you get quality cricketers from Test cricket,” Hafeez said.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
yeah, at this point in time it is difficult to see Pak winning given how their bowling pans out.

PEWS thinks Pakistan's bowling will suck in SA conditions. Not sure about that. It could be like the 2010 Pak-Eng series. Where the bowlers from both sides wreak havoc. SA batting to carry the day for their side
Except the bowlers who caused havoc in 2010 are banned.

Rasimione

U19 Captain
Calling it to be 1-1.

I just don't have much faith in us at home, we throw it away too often.

Particularly having just dominated both tests against NZ, we're due a poor home game.
Ghambiring son? i think "We have earned the right to be aggresive"

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Mohammad Irfan averages 15 overs a innings in domestic cricket. He'll probably be a handful in the initial overs but can see him tanking soon. Didn't look the fittest against India too while Adil is a complete unknown.

Junaid and Ajmal i am confident will do well in SA. Junaid should give their 2 openers plenty of trouble while Ajmal is likely to clean up the tail regularly. Gul should go decently too, and produce one spell out of nowhere.

Batting is a worry though, as they are not really suited to those conditions and that bowling attack. Predicting a couple of sub 150 collapses from them atleast and one thrashing. In the other 2 matches SA will win one more closely while Pakistan can win one. So 2 - 1 or 3 - 0 if all matches are completed.

If i have to pick one going to pick 2 - 1.

Spiced

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Care to put up an avatar bet on that then?

If Pak wins a Test, I control your avatar for 3 months. If Pak doesn't win, you control mine for 3 months.

Yeah ok. I will take that bet. I am sure our players will be ruthless enough.

Is there any news on J.P Duminy? Will he be ready to play against Pakistan.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
I probably will lose the bet, since you guys are such a good team, but just to let you know this will be your avatar in case I win.

:laugh: