• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

****Official****Pakistan in South Africa

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Reckon Pakistan will get hammered personally; they don't have the side for these conditions at all despite people for some reason always assuming they have a great fasting bowling lineup. I'm in line for a tasting giving South Africa do randomly like to drop home Tests but I reckon it'll be 3-0.
Except Pakistan does have some very talented fast bowlers, still. I reckon they will cause a few shocks tbh.

Spark

Global Moderator
Umar Gul is exactly the sort of bowler I could see sparking a hilarious, inexplicable and decisive 1st innings collapse, tbf.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Reckon Pakistan will get hammered personally; they don't have the side for these conditions at all despite people for some reason always assuming they have a great fasting bowling lineup. I'm in line for a tasting giving South Africa do randomly like to drop home Tests but I reckon it'll be 3-0.
You're probably right, but is their bowling quality that much different to 2007 Port Elizabeth when they beat SA? Kaneria was bowling pretty well back then I guess, but I'd still have Ajmal as better, and I'm pretty sure Shoaib broke down in that test and Sami played.

SA are probably stronger with the bat now though, and as you said, you've taken into account the fact SA randomly drop hope tests, and that is what the Port Elizabeth loss was.

smash84

The Tiger King
Junaid and Irfan don't look too bad for SA conditions do they? If Irfan can get the ball in the right areas I think he can create trouble for any batsman in the world.

I think bowling wise we are not that far off from SA.

The batting though..............................................................................................................................................................

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
2-1 SA, they'll drop a random test somewhere along the line. Even Sri Lanka won a test here.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You're probably right, but is their bowling quality that much different to 2007 Port Elizabeth when they beat SA? Kaneria was bowling pretty well back then I guess, but I'd still have Ajmal as better, and I'm pretty sure Shoaib broke down in that test and Sami played.

SA are probably stronger with the bat now though, and as you said, you've taken into account the fact SA randomly drop hope tests, and that is what the Port Elizabeth loss was.
Asif?

smash84

The Tiger King
As much as people rave about Amir being such a gun I thought Asif was significantly better. He could toy with the batsman seaming the ball around at will

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah he is the main difference, hence why I said "that much different". He is better than anyone Pakistan currently has, but an injured Akhtar, and a Sami may cancel out his difference.

I don't know. I do think Pak have the bowling to win a test. But I don't think they will win a test.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
As much as people rave about Amir being such a gun I thought Asif was significantly better. He could toy with the batsman seaming the ball around at will
I have never seen anyone claim Amir was better than Asif? Just that he was younger and so the loss was bigger.

akilana

International 12th Man
Junaid and Irfan don't look too bad for SA conditions do they? If Irfan can get the ball in the right areas I think he can create trouble for any batsman in the world.

The batting though..............................................................................................................................................................
:wacko:

Xuhaib

International Coach

Really I thought it was a very competitive series with all games open till midway the final innings if Shoaib was fit (I know) the whole series Pakistan would have won the series however this SA side is definetley much stronger that the 2006 side with Pakistan being weaker.

Xuhaib

International Coach
have a feeling SA is much tougher mentally after the away wins to Eng and especially Aus where they were on the back for a lot of the series they might have just overcome the random home losses.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
My prediction 2-0 to SA but certainly Pakistan have the ability to pick up a win. Think this will be a very competitive series. Also none of the teams will be under much pressure, isnt it? Pakistan coming off a series win against India and also no one expecting Pakistan to win the series so it's all to play for and SA proved against England and Australia.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
yeah, at this point in time it is difficult to see Pak winning given how their bowling pans out.

PEWS thinks Pakistan's bowling will suck in SA conditions. Not sure about that. It could be like the 2010 Pak-Eng series. Where the bowlers from both sides wreak havoc. SA batting to carry the day for their side

Bouncer

State Regular

I would not play Irfan in a 5 day game yet - It just takes toooo much on one's body, and Irfan doesnt have the body for it IMO.

I would go and open the bowling with Junaid and Ahsan (lets see what the new guy is made out of, there is a lot of hype about this guy - a lot. Even I liked little bit that I saw in him in U19 WC).

Bowling line up with Junaid/Ahsan/Gul/Ajmal/Rehman and Hafeez just sounds super nice.

Battingwise, I would go outside the box and open with Taufeeq and Nasir, play hafeez at asad's spot

• We get to give nasir a chance when he is in form and have him open the inning.
  • Nasir is far more likely to be comfortable against pace and new ball than hafeez.
  • Protect hafeez from new ball and bouncy SA conditions and have him come to bat with an older ball in operation.
That's what I would do but unfortunately I know how much of 'thinking' misbah puts behind his decisions so the top order that he is more likely to play is going to be

Hafeez
Taufeeq
Azhar
Younis
Misbah
Asad