• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

****Official****Pakistan in South Africa

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Firdose Moonda needs to go easy on the boasting...every article she writes its about how the South African bowling attack is so great..when in reality its not really all that..Steyn is great, Philander and Morkel are good..nothing extraordinary about them..the South African attack is a good, potent attack, but there have been good, potent attacks like this always in world cricket...no need to talk about them like they are the greatest thing to happen to fast bowling..especially after the hiding they got in Australia in the first two test matches..
If Pakistani batsmen got a few more warm up games and had prepared a bit better for this series, they would have been able to handle it..
The hiding they got in the first couple of tests in Australia was largely Tahir's poor form, Philander's injury, a very flat track, and Michael Clarke being in ridiculous form.

This attack is and has been the best attack in world cricket for at least a year.

Philander is pretty extraordinary.
And Morkel has been remarkably consistent for the past 6 months.

The only thing they're missing is a quality spinner. I think they're better off going all out attack and picking Tsotsobe or Kleinveldt.

That's not to say I don't think Pakistan can do well. I'm a big fan of Younis.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
he was not going to play anyway..Jamshed and Hafeez were going to open unless the team management picked him based on a century he scored in South Africa over 10 years ago

The hiding they got in the first couple of tests in Australia was largely Tahir's poor form, Philander's injury, a very flat track, and Michael Clarke being in ridiculous form.

This attack is and has been the best attack in world cricket for at least a year.

Philander is pretty extraordinary.
And Morkel has been remarkably consistent for the past 6 months.

The only thing they're missing is a quality spinner. I think they're better off going all out attack and picking Tsotsobe or Kleinveldt.

That's not to say I don't think Pakistan can do well. I'm a big fan of Younis.
Look I don't doubt that they are the best bowling attack in the world today
I just don't think they are as good as some of the truly great attacks we have had in the recent past..Ambrose-Walsh, McGrath-Gillespie-Warne, Wasim-Waqar-Mushtaq..hence my criticism was when people like Moonda make it seem like this sort of attack has never been seen in world cricket..

Tahir only played 1 game.
Whether Clarke was in good form or the pitches were flat is irrelevant..The way people like Moonda talk about this bowling attack, it should not have struggled to take 20 wickets in two consecutive test matches.
I would rate this attack similar to the English attacks in 2005 and 2010 Ashes..which is to say that this is a strong, potent test bowling attack..just not extraordinary.

the big bambino

International Captain
With Philander in the form he's in I'd rate it up there with the real good ones. At least you wouldn't seem foolish making that argument. But Firdose is really really really annoying. She is over the top all the time.

akilana

International 12th Man
he was not going to play anyway..Jamshed and Hafeez were going to open unless the team management picked him based on a century he scored in South Africa over 10 years ago

Look I don't doubt that they are the best bowling attack in the world today
I just don't think they are as good as some of the truly great attacks we have had in the recent past..Ambrose-Walsh, McGrath-Gillespie-Warne, Wasim-Waqar-Mushtaq..hence my criticism was when people like Moonda make it seem like this sort of attack has never been seen in world cricket..

Tahir only played 1 game.
Whether Clarke was in good form or the pitches were flat is irrelevant..The way people like Moonda talk about this bowling attack, it should not have struggled to take 20 wickets in two consecutive test matches.
I would rate this attack similar to the English attacks in 2005 and 2010 Ashes..which is to say that this is a strong, potent test bowling attack..just not extraordinary.
Actually she isn't going on about how they are the greatest attack ever etc. She rightly pointed out they are the best attack. You mean she shouldn't? She also bigged up tall irfan. SA have 1 ATG bowler, another bowler who has produced ATG like performances and another pretty good bowler( top 5). Your reaction is funny. All those attacks that you have mentioned failed to bowl out opposition many times. The pakistan attack that you mentioned got hiding in aus eng and sa.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Actually she isn't going on about how they are the greatest attack ever etc. She rightly pointed out they are the best attack. You mean she shouldn't? She also bigged up tall irfan. SA have 1 ATG bowler, another bowler who has produced ATG like performances and another pretty good bowler( top 5). Your reaction is funny. All those attacks that you have mentioned failed to bowl out opposition many times. The pakistan attack that you mentioned got hiding in aus eng and sa.
There is no such thing like ATG like performances..ATG simply means someone who has been truly extraordinary for majority of his career..There is a bowler called Narendra Hirwani who grabbed 7 wickets on his debut..don't see anyone calling him ATG..Taking a 5-6 wicket haul does not automatically make you ATG..if you keep producing such performances consistently over your entire career, only then you make an ATG..the bar for an ATG is set very high..Steyn is up there but Philander and Morkel just haven't done enough I am sorry.

The attacks I mentioned were just some of the attacks that were called great in recent times..I did not even mention the ATG attacks of the 70s and 80s.
Each of these attacks have been called great at some point in time in the recent past..out of them, in my view only the Australian attack can make a serious claim to be considered ATG.
Wasim, Waqar, Ambrose and Walsh were all ATG great bowlers at an individual level but they were not a truly great attack for a considerable period of time..which is what you need to be an ATG attack. As you mentioned, they have got hidings too..if they failed to form an ATG attack..how can Philander and Morkel make that claim? They were at least 100 times the bowlers Philander and Morkel are..

Moonda talks about this attack like the great West Indian attack of the 70s and 80s...sorry but they are not even close.
This is a very strong attack, the best attack today...no doubt about that...but the fact that they are the best has more to do with the fact that others are not as good rather than this attack as a whole being something extraordinary..

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
There is no such thing like ATG like performances..ATG simply means someone who has been truly extraordinary for majority of his career..There is a bowler called Narendra Hirwani who grabbed 7 wickets on his debut..don't see anyone calling him ATG..Taking a 5-6 wicket haul does not automatically make you ATG..if you keep producing such performances consistently over your entire career, only then you make an ATG..the bar for an ATG is set very high..Steyn is up there but Philander and Morkel just haven't done enough I am sorry.

The attacks I mentioned were just some of the attacks that were called great in recent times..I did not even mention the ATG attacks of the 70s and 80s.
Each of these attacks have been called great at some point in time in the recent past..out of them, in my view only the Australian attack can make a serious claim to be considered ATG.
Wasim, Waqar, Ambrose and Walsh were all ATG great bowlers at an individual level but they were not a truly great attack for a considerable period of time..which is what you need to be an ATG attack. As you mentioned, they have got hidings too..if they failed to form an ATG attack..how can Philander and Morkel make that claim? They were at least 100 times the bowlers Philander and Morkel are..

Moonda talks about this attack like the great West Indian attack of the 70s and 80s...sorry but they are not even close.
This is a very strong attack, the best attack today...no doubt about that...but the fact that they are the best has more to do with the fact that others are not as good rather than this attack as a whole being something extraordinary..
I do largely agree, however Moonda exaggerates everything she writes about; not just this. Most writers do it to some extent - obviously they have to try and make their writing interesting rather than state the obvious or rehash the consensus - but she's always done a poor job of making whatever she's saying look like it's really in any sort of context.

smash84

The Tiger King

:thumbup:

but don't waste your breath (or typing). Akilana makes one post and then disappears for 6 months.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I do largely agree, however Moonda exaggerates everything she writes about; not just this. Most writers do it to some extent - obviously they have to try and make their writing interesting rather than state the obvious or rehash the consensus - but she's always done a poor job of making whatever she's saying look like it's really in any sort of context.
I saw Saturn change positions today :p

akilana

International 12th Man

She wasn't calling them the greatest attack ever assembled or anything like that. She called them the best attack and it has apparently made you upset. You sounf like she has to get your permission call them the best.

I said ATG level performances wrt Vhernon.Vernon because he has only started his career but he has bowled almost like an ATG bowler. How else can he show that belongs in the top level? None of those bowlers are 100 better than philander. That's plain stupid and exaggeration at worst.

Nah with all these flat pitches and stuffs they are bowling well as an attack. Steyn is ATG, Vernon has matched Steyn and Morkel has been pretty good.

Extraordinary and all the crap. She didn't say it. You are doing it.