Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Philander is he better than Steyn?

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricketismylife View Post
    Detect the sarcasm but my comparison isn't as ridiculous as yours. I've watched the 2 bowl together in series since Philander started and it's debatable currently who is the better bowler.
    Yes I was being sarcastic

But I may have misunderstood what you were saying. If you are saying Philander is a better bowler than what Steyn is TODAY, it is arguable but not something that I would have been sarcastic about. I thought, perhaps wrongly, that you were just comparing Philander with Steyn or predicting that based on what Philander has done so far he appears to be the equal, if not the superior, of Steyn. Of course, I found such a presumption completely off.

But as I said, I could have misunderstood since it is not clear from the thread opener. :o)

Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    Yes I was being sarcastic

But I may have misunderstood what you were saying. If you are saying Philander is a better bowler than what Steyn is TODAY, it is arguable but not something that I would have been sarcastic about. I thought, perhaps wrongly, that you were just comparing Philander with Steyn or predicting that based on what Philander has done so far he appears to be the equal, if not the superior, of Steyn. Of course, I found such a presumption completely off.

But as I said, I could have misunderstood since it is not clear from the thread opener. :o)
    Yeah I think he's just talking about who he'd pick for a Test right now. If both retired now Steyn would obviously go down as the better bowler.

I'd pick Philander over Steyn right now for a Test at Cape Town or on a pitch that looked similar, which is still pretty high praise really, but overall I'd rather have Steyn in my squad even if I was going to play half my games in South Africa.
    ~ Cribbage

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simonlee48 View Post
    Sanga has done well but Murali has done better. In my opinion, Murali is simply the best off spinner in history of cricket and I can't make that kind of statement for Sanga.
    Sanga isn't the best off spinner in the history of cricket? News to me.

School Boy/Girl Captain longtom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    Should not ignore the fitness levels either, I like how completely different they are but Steyn is a great athlete and is not going to develop the habit of missing ever other test.
    Even if they were on the same level this would always favour Steyn. Having said that - over all Steyn is clearly the better (speak: usable and a thread in all conditions) bowler even without the ahletisism thrown into it.
    regards

longtom

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information