Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Thread: Real time draft- tonight, here.

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    I don't watch a day of test cricket because I think there's going to be loads of really attacking cricket on show. I watch it for the contests between bat and ball and the contest between two cricket sides.

And are you seriously suggesting patience is only seen from players who don't have the ability to attack?
    No.

The criticism levelled at Barrington by Compton and Bailey (see SJSs last post) was that he had the obvious talent and technique to be a more forceful batsman, but chose not to because he was too selfish.

One of Compton's insights particularly hits the mark:
    For perhaps the world's formost 'percentage' player this was very poor value. If the loose delivery escapes punishment, it is a bonus for the bowler and makes batting that much harder (for everyone).
    And I would add that when a master-batsman makes batting 'much harder' for his team-mates because of his own hubris, then he has failed ethically. The same principle applies across the board through all walks of life, not just cricket.
    Last edited by watson; 15-01-2013 at 02:08 PM.
    "Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong" - Oscar Wilde

Boycott is a batsman that I would never have in my team because he scores a fail when it comes to putting the team before himself.

Botham's story sums up Boycott perfectly;

IAN BOTHAM RUNS OUT GEOFF BOYCOTT- 2nd test vs NZ 1978 Christchurch - YouTube

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    A great batsman is one who can adapt, and when required be willing to attack. But above all a great batsman puts team ahead of self.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Waite+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

I don't watch a day of test cricket because I think there's going to be loads of really attacking cricket on show. I watch it for the contests between bat and ball and the contest between two cricket sides.

And are you seriously suggesting patience is only seen from players who don't have the ability to attack?
    don't think either of us has seen too much properly defensive cricket, I started watching in 88 or 89 roughly, scoring rates have been on the whole pretty good since. Defence only really comes into it as a valid tactic rather than a MO
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    don't think either of us has seen too much properly defensive cricket, I started watching in 88 or 89 roughly, scoring rates have been on the whole pretty good since. Defence only really comes into it as a valid tactic rather than a MO
    Well, my favourite test last year was between England and Pakistan at Abu Dhabi where sides were going at around 2-2.5 an over. And I really enjoyed the Nagpur test between India and England which was played at about two an over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

My XI : Glenn McGrath | 'A very clever bowler who never got bored' | Cricket videos, MP3, podcasts, cricket audio | ESPN Cricinfo

I think Alec articulated this very well when he spoke about being positive in offence and defence and not missing out on scoring oppotunities.

Well, my favourite test last year was between England and Pakistan at Abu Dhabi where sides were going at around 2-2.5 an over. And I really enjoyed the Nagpur test between India and England which was played at about two an over.
    It depends on the context. If the bowling is excellent, or the pitch difficult to bat on, then a slow run rate is acceptable provided that both teams are combatitive and trying their best to win the match.

However, for the likes of Boycott or Barrington to knock half-volleys back down the pitch on a wicket that is a 'batsman's paradise' is unforgiveable. Especially if they farm the strike by deliberately scoring a single on the 6th ball of the over (as Boycott used to do regularly in County cricket).

It's that's sort of bad sportmanship that we are specifically complaining about.
    Last edited by watson; 15-01-2013 at 06:18 PM.

We should one of these real time drafts again. What do you peeps say?

State Vice-Captain
    I'd be up for it, if we could get enough people on at the same time again.
    ATG World XI
    1. J.B Hobbs 2. H. Sutcliffe 3. D.G Bradman 4. W.R Hammond 5. G.S Sobers 6. M.J Procter 7. A.C Gilchrist 8. M.D Marshall 9. S.K Warne 10. M. Muralitharan 11. G.D McGrath

A real time draft needs a good co-ordinator to run it, as updating the lists every 10 minutes or so, and keeping track of everything is tricky. Monk was mega organised last time and did a great job.

Depending on when it starts I woud be interested as well.

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    I'll run one tonight if enough people are keen.

Probably need to cap it at 10 people. I can either run the same format and clauses as last time, or if anyone else has anything innovative share here. I'm going to be at the computer studying anyway, so I won't participate but I'll keep it flowing. I work better when multitasking.

Would expect it to start at 7.30 pm Australian (EST).

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    I'll run one tonight if enough people are keen.

Probably need to cap it at 10 people. I can either run the same format and clauses as last time, or if anyone else has anything innovative share here. I'm going to be at the computer studying anyway, so I won't participate but I'll keep it flowing. I work better when multitasking.

Would expect it to start at 7.30 pm Australian (EST).
    I'm baby sitting a bunch of kids tonight, so as long as the TATs are too draconian I should be able to join in.

Looks like good fun, I'd love to take a shot
    Current Favourite XI 1. Cook 2. Gayle 3. Sangakarra 4. Clarke* 5. Chanderpaul 6. Rahane 7. De Kock+ 8.Johnson 9.Steyn 10. Herath 11. Roach

I want West Indies to be competitive again

How about Saturday? It's workday and folks in India and UK will be still at work at 7:30 Aus time.

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Thread Information