• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

DoG's Test Team Ratings - Throughout History

Days of Grace

International Captain
Update after 8 teams have recently completed test series against each other:

South Africa 102.67
England 86.97
India 82.04
Australia 77.16
Pakistan 61.08
Sri Lanka 54.22
West Indies 49.84
New Zealand 45.52
Bangladesh 14.91
Zimbabwe 13.42

India have unsuprisingly moved into 3rd place at the expense of Australia. If New Zealand beat England yesterday, I am confident they would be challenging West Indies for 7th.

South Africa have opened up a 15 point gap over England, the largest lead any team has had on the rest of the field since the Australian team of 2006/07.

Overall, I think this is an accurate reading of where the teams are at.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So, the ratings for (1920, 21 and 22) and (1946, 47 and 48) were the same right?

So, had NZ beaten Eng yesterday, would that have been the greatest upset eclipsing the 1980 one?

smash84

The Tiger King
Update after 8 teams have recently completed test series against each other:

South Africa 102.67
England 86.97
India 82.04
Australia 77.16
Pakistan 61.08
Sri Lanka 54.22
West Indies 49.84
New Zealand 45.52
Bangladesh 14.91
Zimbabwe 13.42

India have unsuprisingly moved into 3rd place at the expense of Australia. If New Zealand beat England yesterday, I am confident they would be challenging West Indies for 7th.

South Africa have opened up a 15 point gap over England, the largest lead any team has had on the rest of the field since the Australian team of 2006/07.

Overall, I think this is an accurate reading of where the teams are at.
I know India have done well to beat Aus 4-0 but I still don't think they are the 3rd best team going around

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
So you think Australia should be above India.... even though we just got smashed 4-0? Sounds about right.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I know India have done well to beat Aus 4-0 but I still don't think they are the 3rd best team going around
Who are then? Rankings don't necessarily show who the best sides are, they show who the best performers have been. Sure India lost three series, two very badly, but they were all against top 3 sides, and they still have a lot of good results in their bank, such as a 4-0 win against Australia just now, a 2-0 win against Australia in 2010 and a draw in South Africa later that year. Australia hardly have a flawless record themselves. Losing 4-0 to the number 4 side is incredibly damaging for a top 3 side in a rankings perspective, as would have been losing to England in 2010/11, who would have been ranked 4th at best at the time, I assume.

smash84

The Tiger King
I don't know I think India will have real trouble when they travel again. Only recently they lost to England at home so just one series win over a terribly troubled aussie team doesn't paint a proper picture. I might be wrong but I think we'll find out when India travel next. Where do they travel next? South Africa?

Days of Grace

International Captain
Update after the Ashes and the Zimbabwe-Pakistan series:

South Africa 102.50
England 87.89
Australia 79.78
India 76.82
Pakistan 67.16
Sri Lanka 56.20
West Indies 50.23
New Zealand 45.54
Zimbabwe 34.46
Bangladesh 18.78

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
For example, here are the ratings from 1997/98 (a year starts in September and ends in August)

Australia 93.95
South Africa 88.58
Pakistan 77.75
Sri Lanka 70.93
India 69.91
England 66.57
New Zealand 61.68
West Indies 59.72
Zimbabwe 40.07
Sri Lanka being above India and England in this period is itstl

South Africa (2011/12): 98.82
South Africa (1969/70): 98.76
So SA just before being banned were about same as SA now. Hmm...what could have been!

Once again, very interesting work, DoG :)

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I don't know I think India will have real trouble when they travel again. Only recently they lost to England at home so just one series win over a terribly troubled aussie team doesn't paint a proper picture. I might be wrong but I think we'll find out when India travel next. Where do they travel next? South Africa?
Think this is explained by the fact that DoG's system can't see in the future. If you are right in your assessment re India's standing, they will have poor results in next five years, and then when DoG's system retrospectively rates teams in 2013, India might be lower.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Sri Lanka being above India and England in this period is
if I am not mistaken this is the time when SL beat england in one off away test, thrashed them blue and black at home, drew 0-0 away with india and won the home eries with them. And coincides with the ascent of Aravinda Murali and Jaya as well.