• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What's been the toughest away ground in the history of test cricket?

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Not sure if this has been debated before, but i was just wondering at any perticular period of test cricket what has been the hardest ground for an away team to travel to? a ground where the home team were simply unbeatable? i came up with this thought because back in our glory days i was too young to have seen us, but i imagine for an away side in say 1984 going to Sabina would have been truly daunting, or even kensington Oval, or was the likes of Australia at the Waka in 2001 with Warne causing mayhem more tougher? hell maybe South Africa today at Newlands are the toughest? it's an interesting debate methinks.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Never has there been a higher concentration of bogans and ferals than when Collingwood had a home ground.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
India and SL have been tough to beat at home, at least till recently. Any particular grounds here, Mumbai or Galle? And is there any way we can find this out from Cricinfo?

smash84

The Tiger King
I think National Stadium Karachi.

Pakistan hadn't lost there ever or at least not in 35 years or so until England came and beat them in 2001

Howe_zat

Audio File
Sri Lanka had an incredible run at the SSC from 2001-2008. Won 11, drawn 2 and lost once (vs Aus in 2004.) 6 of those wins were by an innings, including 3 wins of an innings and 200+. The plan, it seems, was create a Tarmac nightmare, everyone gets a hundred, and then Murali bowls eight million overs.

Jayawardene, Sangakkara, Samaraweera and Tillakaratne all average over 70 there, yet Murali averaged 20, and Vaas 25. Since Murali retired it's 3 draws out of 3.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Sri Lanka had an incredible run at the SSC from 2001-2008. Won 11, drawn 2 and lost once (vs Aus in 2004.) 6 of those wins were by an innings, including 3 wins of an innings and 200+. The plan, it seems, was create a Tarmac nightmare, everyone gets a hundred, and then Murali bowls eight million overs.

Jayawardene, Sangakkara, Samaraweera and Tillakaratne all average over 70 there, yet Murali averaged 20, and Vaas 25. Since Murali retired it's 3 draws out of 3.
Thats what i'm talking about, periods of times when a team was virtually unbeatable at certain ground, it could be any team really.

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
Grounds in SA have provided consistently even contests between bat and ball..Atleast for SC teams i would say SA is a tough tour taking any ground into consideration particularly the Wanderers..

If a ground is intimidating for the opposing team you cannot look beyond Eden Gardens i think..

For the opposing team in the 90s ,summer heat, 100K crowd , deafening sound you cannot get a tougher situation to concentrate..

Riggins

International Captain
since i've been watching cricket probably the gabba, maybe lords for us too!!

in the next 10 - 15 maybe cape town. getting around vernon and then their next seaming road bully.

uvelocity

International Coach
since i've been watching cricket probably the gabba, maybe lords for us too!!

in the next 10 - 15 maybe cape town. getting around vernon and then their next seaming road bully.
what are you on about r000ggg000ns, we hadnt lost there for like 20 years before the last time

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Haha, surely he's being facetious? England's win in 2009 was the first against the Aussies at the ground for 75 years.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
India and SL have been tough to beat at home, at least till recently. Any particular grounds here, Mumbai or Galle? And is there any way we can find this out from Cricinfo?
Delhi, imo. India hasn't lost since 1987 here.

8 wins out of the last 9, 1 Draw. Even the ODI record at Delhi is pretty good at the Kotla.

And they recently decided to Import Soil from Newzealand to make a new pitch. :dry:

India's record at each ground since 1990 -

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...team=6;template=results;type=team;view=ground

Mumbai along with Bangalore have the worst record.

Last edited: