• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ottis Gibson set to leave West Indies post?

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Thats the rumour flying around today!!

Gibson in Warwickshire frame

By George Dobell

January 9, 2013

West Indies could be looking for a new head coach after it emerged that Ottis Gibson could be in contention for the role of director of cricket at Warwickshire.

Gibson, who led West Indies to the World Twenty20 in October, is understood to have tired of the politics inherent in Caribbean cricket and is one of more than 100 in contention to succeed Ashley Giles at Edgbaston. Giles left Warwickshire after leading the club to the county championship title in 2012 to take up the role of coach of England's limited-overs teams.

While Gibson has previously intimated his desire to remain with the West Indies team, he is out of contract with the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) later this year and, after the CEO Ernest Hilaire quit in September and with the president Julian Hunte due to depart in March, he may feel his future is more secure elsewhere.

Appointed in January 2010, he has suffered public fallouts with such high-profile figures as Chris Gayle and Ramnaresh Sarwan and endured criticism as various politicians, even prime ministers, in the Caribbean have sought to join the bandwagon. Gibson declined to confirm or deny his interest in the Warwickshire role when contacted by ESPNcricinfo.

Among the other candidates thought to have shown an interest in the Warwickshire job are former New Zealand, Scotland and Kenya coach, Andy Moles, the England bowling coach, David Saker - who has now withdrawn - the former Glamorgan and Bermuda captain, David Hemp, and the ECB's performance director, David Parsons. Dougie Brown and Graeme Welch, who are already on the coaching staff at Edgbaston, have also applied for the role with Welch the man favoured by the Warwickshire dressing room.

Gibson is sure to be considered among the strongest candidates. A former international player, the Barbados-born fast bowler helped Durham to their first silverware in 2007 before being appointed England's bowling coach. He has improved the fitness and discipline of the West Indies squad but, despite some encouraging performances, has been thwarted by the unavailability of senior players and his sometimes troubled relationship with them.

The interest of so many high-profile candidates underlines the attraction of the Warwickshire job. Based at a large, recently redeveloped stadium with excellent facilities, the role pays relatively well and does not require the huge amount of overseas travel involved with an international coaching position. Whether the salary could match the package that Gibson enjoys with West Indies, thought to be around $300,000, is highly debatable, however.
Link

Very interesting indeed, i don't quite know how to react to this to be honest, on one hand i think he's done a decent job, i mean we've won back to back test series for the first time in many years, we drew test series vs Sri-lanka and Pakistan, we also drew an ODI series vs Australia and beat NZ, plus of course the world cup win was massive, but some things he does really are annoying, his close relationship with Sammy for example isn't really helpful as it allows Darren to get away with poor performance after poor performance, and there's a feeling that he's content with sticking with the status quo rather than giving fresh blood a chance,

His contract is due to run out next month which is why i feel there might be something in these rumours, the question is who would replace him if he does leave? Jimmy Adams had a decent year with County club Kent last season and Phil Simmons has done well with Ireland, those are the two West indian coaches that would be at the top of the list, but i wouldn't be adverse to a foreign coach again either, with us being world cup winners and showing a clear improvement at test level i'd be surprised if a few big names didn't throw their name into the hat, we're not cannon fodder anymore and we've got some very talented players wearing our shirt right now.

smash84

The Tiger King
" is one of more than 100 in contention to succeed Ashley Giles at Edgbaston"

such a small bunch to choose from

WindieWeathers

International Regular
" is one of more than 100 in contention to succeed Ashley Giles at Edgbaston"

such a small bunch to choose from
I can't see how Warks could turn down a world cup winner if he's interested to be honest, and the rumours on our side suggest that he is!! :( , especially with his contract due to run out in a few weeks and the people who brought him in (Ernest Hilaire and Julien Hunte) are all but gone now from the WICB.