• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Batsmen By Country

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Thought it'd be interesting to see everybody's thoughts on this. Was thinking about great batsmen of each country in the 30's (massive treasure trove there, Bradman, Hammond, Nourse, Dempster, Merchant, Headley). So I thought about the best batsmen for each test playing nation in history. Obviously there will be some easy choices (Australia, Zimbabwe). But still, there will be many different opinions on most players from most of the countries. Haven't fully studied batsmen of a few countries and have absolutely no idea about Bangladesh batsmen but, feel free to include them.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Australia: That hack
South Africa: Graeme Pollock
West Indies: Garry Sobers
England: Jack Hobbs

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
spin-off. best batsman by state. off the top of my head

nsw: bradman
tas: ponting
act: bevan...?
vic: harvey
sa: g chappell
wa: mussey...?
nt: no-one (most of the guys born there who have gone onto play test cricket moved from the nt at a young age. so)

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
spin-off. best batsman by state. off the top of my head

nsw: bradman
tas: ponting
act: bevan...?
vic: harvey
sa: g chappell
wa: mussey...?
nt: no-one (most of the guys born there who have gone onto play test cricket moved from the nt at a young age. so)
QLD: Hayden

watson

Banned
Australia: Obvious
England: Len Hutton
West Indies: George Headley
India: Sunil Gavaskar
Pakistan: Javed Miandad
South Africa: Graeme Pollock
Sri Lanka: Aravinda de Silva
New Zealand: Martin Crowe

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Australian- Bradman. If choosing another, Greg Chappell

England- Jack Hobbs (Hammond very close)

WI- George Headley or Viv Richards. Hard to split.

India- Tendulkar (Gavaskar very close)

Pakistan- Miandad

SA- G. Pollock

SL- Sangakkara

NZ- Stewie Dempster or Martin Crowe

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Australia - Bradman
England - Grace, Hobbs if we're only talking Tests
South Africa - Nourse
India - Tendulkar
West Indies - Sobers
Pakistan - Miandad
Sri Lanka - Sangakkara
New Zealand - Crowe
Zimbabwe - Flower
Bangladesh - Bashar, Tamim probably soon

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Even though Bashar was prettier, I reckon even Shakib is better, and Tamim is easily ahead. Longevity is all well and good but it's clear imo who the better batsmen are.

uvelocity

International Coach
nah tas too

#woops

funny ****up too considering noofers is a territorian (characterised by being in the pub tab by 1:30pm daily)

Last edited: